Biomarkers for personalized treatment of multiple sclerosis
Natalizumab (Tysabri) is a therapeutic antibody used in treatment of multiple sclerosis. It prevents inflammation in the central nervous system by blocking leukocytes from crossing the blood-brain-barrier. To facilitate individualized natalizumab treatment we need a biomarker to measure the individual treatment response. Receptor occupancy, the ratio between amount of bound natalizumab and amount of total receptor on target cells, is a potential biomarker. We have developed a method for measuring receptor occupancy of natalizumab in the blood of treated patients with the novel technology mass cytometry (Optimization of Receptor Occupancy Assays in Mass Cytometry: Standardization Across Channels with QSC Beads. Bringeland, GH, et al., Cytometry A. 2019 Mar).
Research interests: Clinical neurology, neuroimmunology, biomarkers for personalized treatment in multiple sclerosis, mass cytometry.
- 2021. Cerebrospinal fluid proteome shows disrupted neuronal development in multiple sclerosis. Scientific Reports.
- 2020. Wearing-off at the end of natalizumab dosing intervals is associated with low receptor occupancy. Neurology: Neuroimmunology and neuroinflammation. 1-8.
- 2020. Wearing-off at the end of natalizumab dosing interval and risk of MS disease activity: A prospective 1-year follow-up study. Journal of Neurological Sciences. 1-3.
- 2019. Optimization of receptor occupancy assays in mass cytometry: Standardization across channels with QSC beads. Cytometry Part A. 314-222.
- 2019. Candidate markers for stratification and classification in rheumatoid arthritis. Frontiers in Immunology. 1-8.
- 2016. U-curve relation between cholesterol and prior ischemic stroke. Brain and Behavior.
- 2016. Intracranial artery dissection. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2016. Early neurological worsening in acute ischaemic stroke patients. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 25-29.
- 2019. Receptor occupation in the fjords. Cytometry Part A. 1044-1045.
- 2021. Wearing-off symptoms during standard and extended natalizumab dosing intervals: Experiences from the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 1-3.
Early neurological worsening in acute ischaemic stroke patients. Nacu A, Bringeland GH, Khanevski A, Thomassen L, Waje-Andreassen U, Naess H. Acta Neurol Scand. 2016 Jan
Intracranial artery dissection. Gerd Haga Bringeland · Jonas Anders Lind · Solveig B Glad · Ulrike Waje-Andreassen · Jul 2016 · Tidsskrift for den Norske laegeforening
U-curve relation between cholesterol and prior ischemic stroke. Gerd Haga Bringeland · Aliona Nacu · Ulrike Waje-Andreassen · Lars Thomassen · Halvor Naess · Sep 2016 · Brain and Behavior
Optimization of Receptor Occupancy Assays in Mass Cytometry: Standardization Across Channels with QSC Beads. Gerd Haga Bringeland, Bader L, Blaser N, Budzinski L, Schulz AR, Mei HE, Myhr KM, Vedeler CA, Gavasso S. Cytometry A. 2019 Mar