- (2022). The Determination of the Snow Optical Grain Diameter and Snowmelt Area on the Greenland Ice Sheet Using Spaceborne Optical Observations. Remote Sensing.
- (2021). The role of sublimation as a driver of climate signals in the water isotope content of surface snow: Laboratory and field experimental results. The Cryosphere. 4949-4974.
- (2021). The Effect of Surface Sublimation on the Snow Isotope Signal.
- (2021). Quantifying the Stable Water Isotopologue Exchange Between the Snow Surface and Lower Atmosphere by Direct Flux Measurements. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Atmospheres.
- (2021). Local-scale deposition of surface snow on the Greenland ice sheet. The Cryosphere. 4873-4900.
- (2021). Experimental investigation of the stable water isotope distribution in an Alpine lake environment (L-WAIVE). Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP). 10911-10937.
- (2021). Continuous monitoring of the isotopic composition of surface water vapor at Lhasa, southern Tibetan Plateau. Atmospheric research. 9 pages.
- (2021). An unmanned aerial vehicle sampling platform for atmospheric water vapor isotopes in polar environments. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques. 7045-7067.
- (2021). A stable isotope toolbox for water and inorganic carbon cycle studies. Nature Reviews Earth & Environment. 699-719.
- (2020). Moisture origin as a driver of temporal variabilities of the water vapour isotopic composition in the Lena River delta, Siberia. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP). 10493-10511.
- (2020). Meridional and vertical variations of the water vapour isotopic composition in the marine boundary layer over the Atlantic and Southern Ocean. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP).
- (2020). A novel method for directly obtaining the water vapor isotope surface flux for evaluating snow-atmosphere exchange processes.
- (2020). A 4.5 Year‐Long Record of Svalbard Water Vapor Isotopic Composition Documents Winter Air Mass Origin. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Atmospheres.
- (2019). The atmospheric water cycle of a coastal lagoon: An isotope study of the interactions between water vapor, precipitation and surface waters. Journal of Hydrology. 630-644.
- (2019). Synoptic to mesoscale processes affecting the water vapor isotopic daily cycle over a coastal lagoon. Atmospheric Environment. 118-130.
- (2019). Retrieval of snow properties from the Sentinel-3 Ocean and Land Colour Instrument. Remote Sensing. 1-43.
- (2019). Resolving the controls of water vapour isotopes in the Atlantic sector. Nature Communications.
- (2019). North Atlantic weather regimes in δ18O of winter precipitation: isotopic fingerprint of the response in the atmospheric circulation after volcanic eruptions. Tellus. Series B, Chemical and physical meteorology. 1-19.
- (2019). Influence of summer sublimation on δD, δ18O, and δ17O in precipitation, East Antarctica, and implications for climate reconstruction from ice cores. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Space Physics. 7339-7358.
- (2019). Evidence of Isotopic Fractionation During VaporExchange Between the Atmosphere and theSnow Surface in Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Atmospheres. 2932-2945.
- (2019). A low-cost autonomous rover for polar science. Geoscientific Instrumentation, Methods and Data Systems. 149-159.
- (2019). A global database of water vapor isotopes measured with high temporal resolution infrared laser spectroscopy. Scientific Data. 1-15.
- (2018). The influence of volcanic eruptions on weather regimes over the North Atlantic simulated by ECHAM5/MPI-OM ensemble runs from 800 to 2000 CE. Atmospheric research. 211-223.
- (2018). Revisiting how Water Isotopes in Ice Cores Record the Climate Signal.
- (2018). Climate information preserved in seasonal water isotope at NEEM: Relationships with temperature, circulation and sea ice. Climate of the Past. 1067-1078.
- (2018). A Framework to Study Mixing Processes in the Marine Boundary Layer Using Water Vapor Isotope Measurements. Geophysical Research Letters. 2524-2532.
- (2018). A Comprehensive Study of the Drivers of Surface Snow Isotopes in Greenland.
Ebner, P., Steen-Larsen, H. C., (and 3 co-authors): Experimental observation of transient δ18O interaction between snow and advective airflow under various temperature gradient conditions, (Vol. 11, 1733-1743, 2017, The Cryosphere)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., C. Risi, (and 3 co-authors): Evaluating the skills of isotope-enabled General Circulation Models against in-situ atmospheric water vapor isotope observations, (Vol. 121, 2017, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Benetti, M.‡, H. C. Steen-Larsen‡, (and 18 co-authors): Stable isotopes in the atmospheric marine boundary layer water vapour over the Atlantic Ocean, 2012-2015, (3:160128, 2017, Nature Scientific Data) ‡Both authors contributed equally to the manuscript.
Galewsky, J., H. C. Steen-Larsen, (and 4 co-authors): Stable isotopes of hydrogen and oxygen in atmospheric water vapor and applications to the hydrological cycle, (Vol. 54, 2016, Reviews of Geophysics)
Ritter, F., H. C. Steen-Larsen, (and 8 co-authors): Isotopic exchange on the diurnal scale between near-surface snow and lower atmospheric water vapor at Kohnen station, East Antarctica, (Vol. 10, 1647-1663, 2016, The Cryosphere) (F. Ritter is former master student of H. C. Steen-Larsen)
Berkelhammer, M., H. C. Steen-Larsen, (and 4 co-authors): Radiation and atmospheric circulation controls on carbonyl sulfide concentrations in the marine boundary layer, (Vol. 121, 13113-13128, 2016, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Kurita, N., (and 6 co-authors incl. H. C. Steen-Larsen): Identification of Air Masses Responsible for Warm Events on the East Antarctic Coast (Vol. 12, 307-313, 2016, Scientific Online Letters on the Atmosphere)
Berkelhammer, M., D. Noone, H. C. Steen-Larsen, (and 6 co-authors): Surface-atmosphere decoupling limits accumulation over Greenland, (Vol. 2. (4), e1501704–e1501704, 2016, Science Advances)
Schaller, C., (and 5 co-authors incl. H. C. Steen-Larsen): A representative density profile of the North Greenland snowpack, (Vol. 10, 1991-2002, 2016, The Cryosphere)
Casado, M., (and 12 co-authors incl. H. C. Steen-Larsen): Continuous measurements of isotopic composition of water vapour on the East Antarctic Plateau, (Vol. 16, 8521-8538, 2016, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics)
Kurita, N., (and 6 co-authors incl. H. C. Steen-Larsen): Influence of large-scale atmospheric circulation on marine air intrusion toward the East Antarctic coast, (Vol. 43, 9298–9305, 2016, Geophysical Research Letters)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., A. E. Sveinbjörnsdottir, Th. Jonsson, F. Ritter, J.-L. Bonne (and 5 co-authors): Moisture sources and synoptic to seasonal variability in the North Atlantic water vapor isotopic composition (2015, 10.1002/2015JD023234, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Bailey, A., D. Noone, M. Berkelhammer, H. C. Steen-Larsen, P. Sato: The stability and calibration of water vapor isotope ratio measurements during long-term deployments, (Vol. 8, 4521-4538, 2015, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques)
Masson-Delmotte, V.‡, H. C. Steen-Larsen ‡, (and 20 co-authors): Recent changes in North West Greenland climate documented by NEEM shallow ice core data and simulations, and implications for past temperature reconstructions, (Vol. 9, 1481-1504, 2015, The Cryosphere) ‡Both authors contributed equally to the manuscript.
Bonne, J.-L., H.C. Steen-Larsen, C.Risi, M. Werner, H. Sodemann (and 10 co-authors): The summer 2012 Greenland heat wave: in situ and remote sensing observations of water vapour isotopic composition during an atmospheric river event, (Vol. 120, 7, 2014JD022602, 2015, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Pang, H., H. Shugui, A. Landais, V. Masson-Delmotte, F. Prie, H. C. Steen-Larsen, (and 7 co-authors): Spatial distribution of 17O-excess in surface snow along a traverse from Zhongshan station to Dome A, Antarctica. (Vol. 414, 126-133, 2015, Earth and Planetary Science Letters)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., V. Masson-Delmotte, M. Hirabayashi, R. Winkler, K. Satow, F. Prie, (and 13 co-authors): What controls the isotopic composition of Greenland surface snow? (Vol. 10, 377-392, 2014, Climate of the Past)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., A. Sveinbjornsdottir, A. Peters, V. Masson-Delmotte, M. P. Guishard, G. Hsiao, J. Jouzel, D. Noone, J. K. Warren, and J. W. C. White: Climatic controls on water vapor deuterium excess in the marine boundary layer of the North Atlantic based on 500 days of in situ measurements. (Vol. 14, 2363-2401, 2014, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions)
Bastrikov, V., H. C. Steen-Larsen, K. Gribanov, O. Cattani, V. Masson-Delmotte, J. Jouzel, V. Zakharov: Continuous measurements of atmospheric water vapor isotopes in Western Siberia (Kourovka, Russia) (7, 1763-1776,2014, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques)
Bonne, J.-L., V. Masson-Delmotte, O. Cattani, M. Delmotte, C. Risi, H. Sodemann, H. C. Steen-Larsen: The isotopic composition of water vapor and precipitation in Ivittuut, Southern Greenland (13, 30521-30574, 2014, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics)
Benetti, M., G. Reverdin, C. Pierre, L. Merlivat, C. Risi, H. C. Steen-Larsen, F. Vimeux: Deuterium excess in marine water vapor – dependency on relative humidity and surface wind speed during evaporation (119, 584-593, 2014, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., S. J. Johnsen, V. Masson-Delmotte, B. Stenni, C. Risi, H. Sodemann, (and 17 co-authors): Continuous monitoring of summer surface water vapour isotopic composition above the Greenland Ice Sheet (Vol. 13, 4815-4828, 2013, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics)
Ellehøj, M., H. C. Steen-Larsen, S. J. Johnsen, M. B. Madsen: Ice equilibrium fractionation factor of hydrogen and oxygen isotopes: Experimental investigations and implications for stable water isotope studies, Rapid communications in Mass Spectrometry (27, 2149-2158, 2013, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry)
NEEM Community Members (incl. H. C. Steen-Larsen), Eemian interglacial reconstructed from a Greenland folded ice core, (Vol. 493, 489-494, 2013, Nature)
Berggren, A.-M., A. Aldahan, G. Possnert, M. Hansson, H. C. Steen-Larsen, A. S. Storm, C.-M. Mörth, A. Murad, Variability of 10Be and δ18O in snow pits from Greenland and a surface traverse from Antarctica, (Vol. 294, 568-572, 2013, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics B)
Landais, A., H. C. Steen-Larsen, M. Guillevic, V. Masson-Delmotte, B. Vinther, R. Winkler: Triple Isotopic composition of oxygen in surface snow and water vapor at NEEM (Greenland). (Vol 77, p. 304-316, 2012, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta)
Rhodes, R. H., N. A. N. Bertler, J. A. Baker, H. C. Steen-Larsen, S. B. Sneed, U. Morgenstern, and S. J. Johnsen: Little Ice Age climate and oceanic conditions of the Ross Sea, Antarctica from a coastal ice core record, (Vol. 8, 1223-1238, 2012, Climate of the Past)
Steen-Larsen, H. C., V Masson-Delmotte, J. Sjolte, S. J. Johnsen, B. M. Vinther, (and 19 co-authors): Understanding the climatic signal in the water stable isotope records from the NEEM shallow firn/ice cores in North-West Greenland (Vol.116, D06108, 2011, Journal of Geophysical Research)
Simonsen, S. B., S. J. Johnsen, T. J. Popp, B. Vinther, V. Gkinis, H. C. Steen-Larsen: Past surface temperatures at the NorthGRIP drill site from the difference in firn diffusion of water isotopes (Vol 7, p. 921-942, 2011, Climate of the Past)
2010 or earlier
Steen-Larsen, H. C., E. D. Waddington, and M. R. Koutnik: Formulating an inverse problem to infer the accumulation-rate pattern from deep internal layering in an ice sheet using a Monte Carlo Approach, (p. 318-332, Vol 56 (196), 2010, Journal of Glaciology)
Pol, K., V. Masson-Delmotte, S. J. Johnsen, J. Jouzel, O. Cattani, G. Durand, S. Falourd, B. Minster, F. Parrenin, C. Ritz, H. C. Steen-Larsen, B. Stenni: New MIS 19 EPICA Dome C high resolution deuterium data: hints for a problematic preservation of climate variability in the "oldest ice". (Vol 298, p. 95-103, 2010, Earth and Planetary Science Letters)
Steen-Larsen, H. C. and Dahl-Jensen, D.: Modeling binge-purge oscillations for the Laurentide Ice Sheet using a plastic ice sheet, (p. 177-182, Vol 48, 2008, Annals of Glaciology)
European Research Council Starting Grant: SNOWISO
Supervision of graduate students
2017 – ongoing
Committee member for PhD student Abigail Thayer, Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado, USA
2014 – ongoing
Hera Gudlaugsdóttir, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland (PhD Student, co-supervisor)
2016 – 2017
Martin Vindbæk Madsen, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark (Master student, supervisor)
2016 – ongoing
Niels Ole Ørum, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark (Master student, external supervisor)
Francois Ritter, Laboratoire des Science du Climat et de l’Environnement, Paris, France (Master student, supervisor) (Paper published from thesis: Ritter et al., 2016)
Hera Gudlaugsdóttir, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland (Master student, co-supervisor)
Supervision of undergraduate students
Advisor for First Year Project at the physics department, University of Copenhagen, three students, title of project ‘The New Arctic’
Advisor for USA-NSF funded Research Experience Undergraduate (REU-program) at Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (3 months program), title of project ‘Assessing precipitation isotope variability during phase changes in the hydrologic cycle’