My research work focuses on understanding the role of tumour microenvironment in tumour invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis. Understanding the role that cancer associated fibroblasts (CAF), the most abundant cell type of tumor microenvironment, play on oral cancer cell survival and expansion will (1) increase the knowledge on the specific factors that promote cancer invasion, and (2) may yield additional targets for novel therapeutic strategies in which both transformed cells and activated stroma can be co-targeted.
- (2023). The TP53 Codon 72 Arginine Polymorphism Is Found with Increased TP53 Somatic Mutations in HPV(−) and in an Increased Percentage among HPV(+) Norwegian HNSCC Patients. Biomedicines.
- (2023). TP53 mutation and human papilloma virus status as independent prognostic factors in a Norwegian cohort of vulva squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica.
- (2023). Penile Cancers Attributed to Human Papillomavirus Are Associated with Improved Survival for Node-positive Patients. Findings from a Norwegian Cohort Study Spanning 50 Years. European Urology Oncology (EUO).
- (2023). Human gingival epithelial cells stimulate proliferation, migration, and tube formation of lymphatic endothelial cells in vitro. Journal of Periodontal Research. 596-606.
- (2022). MicroRNA-138 abates fibroblast motility with effect on invasion of adjacent cancer cells. Frontiers in Oncology.
- (2022). Epithelial PD-L1 expression at tumor front predicts overall survival in a cohort of oral squamous cell carcinomas from Sudan. Clinical and Experimental Dental Research. 1-11.
- (2022). Diagnostic and prognostic role of protein and ultrastructural alterations at cell–extracellular matrix junctions in neoplastic progression of human oral malignancy. Ultrastructural Pathology. 476-489.
- (2022). Development of an antibody panel for imaging mass cytometry to investigate cancer-associated fibroblast heterogeneity and spatial distribution in archival tissues. bioRxiv.
- (2021). Targeted Next-Generation Sequencing of Cancer-Related Genes in a Norwegian Patient Cohort With Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Reveals Novel Actionable Mutations and Correlations With Pathological Parameters. Frontiers in Oncology. 13 pages.
- (2021). Ectopic Bone Tissue Engineering in Mice Using Human Gingiva or Bone Marrow-Derived Stromal/Progenitor Cells in Scaffold-Hydrogel Constructs. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 1-14.
- (2021). Combined in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry on archival tissues reveals stromal microRNA-204 as prognostic biomarker for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Cancers. 19 pages.
- (2021). Characterization of immune cell infiltrate in tumor stroma and epithelial compartments in oral squamous cell carcinomas of Sudanese patients. Clinical and Experimental Dental Research. 1-11.
- (2020). Establishment of a novel cancer cell line derived from vulvar carcinoma associated with lichen sclerosus exhibiting a fibroblast-dependent tumorigenic potential. Experimental Cell Research. 1-9.
- (2019). Role of electron microscopy in early detection of altered epithelium during experimental oral carcinogenesis. Microscopy and Microanalysis. 1367-1375.
- (2019). Metabolic reprogramming of normal oral fibroblasts correlated with increased glycolytic metabolism of oral squamous cell carcinoma and precedes their activation into carcinoma associated fibroblasts. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences (CMLS). 1-19.
- (2018). Prognostic significance of elevated serum CD44 levels in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine. 665-673.
- (2018). Alterations in desmosomal adhesion at protein and ultrastructure levels during the sequential progressive grades of human oral tumorigenesis. European Journal of Oral Sciences. 251-262.
- (2018). Aberrant expression of vimentin predisposes oral premalignant lesion derived cells towards transformation. Experimental and molecular pathology (Print). 243-251.
- (2016). Prognostic role of Oct4, CD44 and c-Myc in radio–chemo-resistant oral cancer patients and their tumourigenic potential in immunodeficient mice. Clinical Oral Investigations.
- (2022). Establishment of peritoneal dECM scaffolds for culture of ovarian cancer organoids.
- (2022). Establishment of ovarian cancer organoids on peritoneal dECM scaffolds.
- (2020). Biomarkers and preclinical models for more precise diagnosis and personalized treatment of oral and vulva carcinomas - Study on human samples and experimental models.
- (2022). Tumor-Fibroblast Interactions in Carcinomas. 16 pages.
- (2022). Establishment of peritoneal dECM scaffolds for 3D culture of ovarian cancer organoids.
- (2022). Corrigendum: Ectopic Bone Tissue Engineering in Mice Using Human Gingiva or Bone Marrow-Derived Stromal/Progenitor Cells in Scaffold-Hydrogel Constructs (Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., (2021), 9, (783468), 10.3389/fbioe.2021.783468). Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology.
- Metabolic reprogramming of normal oral fibroblasts correlated with increased glycolytic metabolism of oral squamous cell carcinoma and precedes their activation into carcinoma associated fibroblasts. Zhuoyuan Zhang, Zhenjie Gao, Saroj Rajthala, Dipak Sapkota, Harsh Dongre, Himalaya Parajuli, Salwa Suliman, Ridhima Das, Longjiang Li, Laurence A Bindoff, Daniela Elena Costea, Xiao Liang; Cellular and molecular life sciences, March 2020
Establishment of a novel cancer cell line derived from vulvar carcinoma associated with lichen sclerosus exhibiting a fibroblast-dependent tumorigenic potential. Harsh Dongre, Neha Rana, Siren Fromreide, Saroj Rajthala, Ingeborg Bøe Engelsen, Justine Paradis, J Silvio Gutkind, Olav Karsten Vintermyr, Anne Christine Johannessen, Line Bjørge, Daniela Elena Costea; Experimental cell research; January 2020
Role of Electron Microscopy in Early Detection of Altered Epithelium During Experimental Oral Carcinogenesis. Sharada Sawant, Harsh Dongre, Deepak Kanojia, Sayli Jamghare, Anita Borges, Milind Vaidya; Microscopy and microanalysis; December 2019
Aberrant expression of vimentin predisposes oral premalignant lesion derived cells towards transformation. Crismita Dmello, Sharada Sawant, Pratik Rajeev Chaudhari, Harsh Dongre, Chetan Ahire, Zinia Charlotte D'Souza, Silvania Emlit Charles, Pallavi Rane, Daniela Elena Costea, Davendra Chaukar, Shubhada Kane, Milind Vaidya; Experimental and Molecular pathology; December 2018
Prognostic significance of elevated serum CD44 levels in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Sharada Sawant, Chetan Ahire, Harsh Dongre, Shriya Joshi, Sayli Jamghare, Pallavi Rane, Shubhada Kane, Devendra Chaukar; Journal of oral pathology and medicine; August 2018
Alterations in desmosomal adhesion at protein and ultrastructure levels during the sequential progressive grades of human oral tumorigenesis. Sharada Sawant, Harsh Dongre, Chetan Ahire, Shilpi Sharma, Sayli Jamghare, Yashvi Kansara, Pallavi Rane, Deepak Kanojia, Asawari Patil, Devendra Chaukar, Sudeep Gupta, Anil D'Cruz, Milind Vaidya, Prabhakar Dongre; European journal of oral sciences; August 2018
A nomogram for predicting the risk of neck node metastasis in pathologically node-negative oral cavity carcinoma. S S Sawant, H Dongre, C Ahire, S Sharma, S Kannan, S Mahadik, D Chaukar, F Lukmani, A Patil, A D'Cruz, M M Vaidya, P Dongre; Oral diseases; November 2017
Establishment of 3D Co-Culture Models from Different Stages of Human Tongue Tumorigenesis: Utility in Understanding Neoplastic Progression. Sharada Sawant, Harsh Dongre, Archana Kumari Singh, Shriya Joshi, Daniela Elena Costea, Snehal Mahadik, Chetan Ahire, Vidhi Makani, Prerana Dange, Shilpi Sharma, Devendra Chaukar, Milind Vaidya; PLoS one; August 2016
Vimentin-mediated regulation of cell motility through modulation of beta4 integrin protein levels in oral tumor derived cells. Crismita Dmello, Sharada Sawant, Hunain Alam, Prakash Gangadaran, Richa Tiwari, Harsh Dongre, Neha Rana, Sai Barve, Daniela Elena Costea, Davendra Chaukar, Shubhada Kane, Harish Pant, Milind Vaidya; The international journal of biochemistry and cell biology; January 2016
Prognostic role of Oct4, CD44 and c-Myc in radio-chemo-resistant oral cancer patients and their tumourigenic potential in immunodeficient mice. Sharada Sawant, Ravindran Gokulan, Harsh Dongre, Milind Vaidya, Devendra Chaukar, Kumar Prabhash, Arvind Ingle, Shriya Joshi, Prerana Dange, Shreyas Joshi, Archana Kumari Singh, Vidhi Makani, Shilpi Sharma, Ashok Jeyaram, Shubhada Kane, Anil D'Cruz; Clinical oral investigations; January 2016
1. The role of tumour stroma in oral and vulvar carcinogenesis: understanding the fibroblasts heterogeneity
2. Investigation of nanoparticles as theranostics in oral cancer
3. Investigation of miRNA deregulations as a source of biomarkers in head and neck and vulvar carcinoma