Tissue microenvironment: interstitial fluid in skin, muscle and tumor
During the first years I worked with development of techniques for measurement of interstitial fluid pressure, primarily in skin and muscle. I showed that the servocontrolled micropipette technique could be used for measurement of interstitial fluid pressure (Pif), and also worked with other techniques for Pif measurements. As one of the first I measured Pif in tumors and found that these pressures were markedly elevated that has later been verified in numerous studies.
I also established techniques to measure compliance (stiffness, yielding in properties in tissues, of importance for edema prevention) and performed several studies addressing this topic. I have also contributed and am part of a team that has studied the mechanistic role of integrins in control of Pif.
Another focus of my research has been the interstitial fluid, i.e. the fluid bathing the cells of the interstitial matrix. This fluid is not readily accessible, and I have been working to establish methods for interstitial fluid isolation. Of major interest is isolation of such fluid in tumors, and I recently showed that exposing tumors to an increased G-force could result in isolation of such fluid.
Another area of interest is the effect of the extracellular matrix on distribution of extracellular proteins in the interstitial fluid (exclusion), and I have been able to quantify such effect. Specifically, I have been able to separate the steric and charge effect of exclusion, and also to relate this to tissue hydration. This phenomenon is of importance for plasma volume regulation.
Recently I have become interested in the role of the lymphatics in fluid volume regulation and also in relation to tumor metastasis.
- (2021). Skin Sodium Accumulates in Psoriasis and Reflects Disease Severity. Journal of Investigative Dermatology.
- (2021). Abnormal neonatal sodium handling in skin precedes hypertension in the SAME rat. Pflügers Archiv: European Journal of Physiology.
- (2020). Lipopolysaccharide induces filtrate leakage from renal tubular lumina into the interstitial space via a proximal tubular Toll-like receptor 4–dependent pathway and limits sensitivity to fluid therapy in mice. Kidney International. 904-912.
- (2020). Interstitial fluid drainage from rat apical area takes place via vessels in the mandibular canal. European Journal of Oral Sciences.
- (2020). Fluid transport from the dental pulp revisited. European Journal of Oral Sciences. 365-368.
- (2020). Commentary: Trends in cardiovascular medicine From deep in the heart - An emerging role of cardiac lymphatics. Trends in cardiovascular medicine.
- (2019). Protein-rich fluid dynamics from the periapical mandibular area in rats.
- (2019). Interleukin-17 Drives Interstitial Entrapment of Tissue Lipoproteins in Experimental Psoriasis. Cell Metabolism. 475-487.
- (2019). Fluid accumulation in the staged Fontan procedure: the impact of colloid osmotic pressures . Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 510-517.
- (2019). Blockade of Lymphangiogenesis Shapes Tumor-Promoting Adipose Tissue Inflammation. American Journal of Pathology. 2102-2114.
- 1986 PhD, University of Bergen: Bergen, Norway
- 1974-1981, Medical Doctor (MD) University of Bergen: Bergen, Norway