Inga Berre's main research interests are mathematical modelling, partial differential equations and numerical methods, in particular motivated by simulation of coupled thermal-hydraulic-mechanical processes in fractured geothermal systems. Related to these topics, she currently leads the research project ERiS funded by The Research Council of Norway (RCN) and she is also WP leader of the RCN Toppforsk project TheMSES.
Since 2018, Inga Berre has chaired the Joint Program Geothermal, European Energy Research Alliance and since 2019 she has been co-chair of the SET-Plan Deep Geothermal Implementation Working Group. She is Associate Editor of Geothermal Energy (Springer).
- 2020. Monolithic and splitting solution schemes for fully coupled quasi-static thermo-poroelasticity with nonlinear convective transport. Computers and Mathematics with Applications. 1964-1984.
- 2020. An iterative staggered scheme for phase field brittle fracture propagation with stabilizing parameters. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 22 pages.
- 2019. Reactivation of fractures in subsurface reservoirs - A numerical approach using a static-dynamic friction model. Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering. 653-660.
- 2019. Finite volume discretization for poroelastic media with fractures modeled by contact mechanics. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 644-663.
- 2019. Consistent MPFA Discretization for Flow in the Presence of Gravity. Water Resources Research. 1-14.
- 2018. Upscaling of the coupling of hydromechanical and thermal processes in a quasi-static poroelastic medium. Transport in Porous Media. 137-158.
- 2018. Three-Dimensional Numerical Modeling of Shear Stimulation of Fractured Reservoirs. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Solid Earth. 3891-3908.
- 2018. Flow in Fractured Porous Media: A Review of Conceptual Models and Discretization Approaches. Transport in Porous Media. 215-236.
- 2018. Finite-volume discretisations for flow in fractured porous media. Transport in Porous Media. 439-462.
- 2018. Benchmarks for single-phase flow in fractured porous media. Advances in Water Resources. 239-258.
- 2018. A finite-volume discretization for deformation of fractured media. Computational Geosciences. 993-1007.
- 2017. Postinjection normal closure of fractures as a mechanism for induced seismicity. Geophysical Research Letters. 9598-9606.
- 2017. High-accuracy phase-field models for brittle fracture based on a new family of degradation functions. Journal of the mechanics and physics of solids. 458-489.
- 2017. Heterogeneity preserving upscaling for heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs. Computational Geosciences. 451-467.
- 2012. An efficient multi-point flux approximation method for Discrete Fracture–Matrix simulations. Journal of Computational Physics. 3784-3800.
- 2011. Linear and nonlinear convection in porous media between coaxial cylinders. Physics of Fluids. 11 pages.
- 2011. Identification of three-dimensional electric conductivity changes from time-lapse electromagnetic observations. Journal of Computational Physics. 3915-3928.
- 2010. Estimation of a piecewise constant function using reparameterized level-set functions. Mathematics in Industry. 733-737.
- 2009. Ren energi fra jordens indre - fra varme kilder til konstruerte geotermiske system. NGU-rapport.
- 2009. Multi-level parameter structure identification for two-phase porous-media flow problems using flexible representations. Advances in Water Resources. 1777-1788.
- 2008. Data driven reparameterization structure for estimation of fluid conductivity. IAHS-AISH publication. 310-315.
- 2008. A multi-level strategy for regularized parameter identification using nonlinear reparameterization with sample application for reservoir characterization. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 8 pages.
- 2007. An efficient discontinuous Galerkin method for advective transport in porous media. Advances in Water Resources. 2424-2438.
- 2007. A level-set corrector to an adaptive multiscale permeability prediction. Computational Geosciences. 27-42.
- 2005. Fast computation of arrival times in heterogeneous media. Computational Geosciences. 179-201.
- 2005. Combined adaptive multiscale and level-set parameter estimation. Multiscale Modeling & simulation. 1349-1372.
- 2002. Time-of-flight + fast Marching + transport collapse: an alternative to streamlines for tow-phase porous media flow with capillary forces? Developments in Water Science. 995-1002.
- 2002. A streamline front tracking method for two- and three-phase flow including capillary forces. Contemporary Mathematics. 49-61.
- 2020. Physics-based modelling of injection-induced coupled processes and fracture deformation.
- 2020. Modelling of process-structure interaction resulting from fluid injection in fractured subsurface systems.
- 2020. Mathematical and numerical modelling of process-structure interaction in fractured geothermal reservoirs.
- 2020. Injection induced-deformation of fractured subsurface formations.
- 2019. Three-dimensional numerical modelling of hydraulic stimulation of geothermal reservoirs: permeability enhancement and induced seismicity.
- 2019. Revealing governing mechanisms in hydraulic stimulation of geothermal reservoirs by mathematical and numerical modelling.
- 2019. Numerical investigation of wing crack initiation and propagation due to shear slip .
- 2019. Numerical Modeling of Fracture Reactivation in a Three-dimensional Domain Based on a Coulomb Friction Law.
- 2019. Numerical Methods for Flow in Fractured Porous Media in a Unified Implementation.
- 2019. Monolithic and Splitting Based Solution Schemes for Nonlinear Quasi-static Thermo-poroelasticity.
- 2019. Mixed-dimensional discrete fracture matrix models with heterogeneous discretization and non-matching grids.
- 2019. Mathematical and numerical modelling of process-structure interaction in fractured geothermal reservoirs.
- 2019. Mathematical and numerical modelling of coupled physics in geothermal reservoirs.
- 2019. Induced seismicity in the Reykjanes geothermal reservoir, Iceland: seismic event monitoring, characterization and clustering.
- 2019. Identification of governing dynamics in geothermal reservoirs by mathematical and numerical modelling.
- 2019. Fracture mechanics of brittle materials: fracture criteria and numerical approach.
- 2019. Enhancing Geothermal Reservoirs – Modelling and Analysis of Hydraulic and Thermal Stimulation.
- 2019. Enhanced fluid convection and heat transfer near the bottom of the IDDP-1 well in Krafla, NE Iceland.
- 2019. Consistent discretization of flow for inhomogeneous gravitational fields.
- 2019. Challenges in Modelling the Anisotropic Poroelastoplastic Behaviour of Fractured Rocks as Homogenized Media.
- 2018. Viscous fingering in fractured porous media.
- 2018. Upscaling of coupled geomechanics, flow, and heat in a poroelastic medium in the quasi-static situation.
- 2018. Unified modeling and discretization of flow in fractured porous media.
- 2018. Three-dimensional numerical modelling of hydraulic stimulation of geothermal reservoirs: permeability enhancement and induced seismicity.
- 2018. PorePy: A Python Simulation Tool for Fractured and Deformable Porous Media.
- 2018. Multi-fracture propagation in porous medium under shear stimulation of fluid flow.
- 2018. Modelling of thermal shock induced fracture growth.
- 2018. Modelling of conditions close to geothermal heat sources.
- 2018. Modeling fracture reactivation in a mixed dimensional setting: Friction models and numerical challenges.
- 2018. Modeling fracture reactivation in a mixed dimensional setting: Friction models and numerical challenges.
- 2018. Mathematical interactions with the subsurface - digging deeper and facing tremors.
- 2018. Mathematical and numerical modeling of subsurface process-structure interaction.
- 2018. Geothermal energy in the future energy mix.
- 2018. Fracture propagation in porous medium under shear stimulation of fluid flow.
- 2017.  Benchmarking and comparison of numerical methods: overall considerations and a recent study of methods for flow in fractured porous media, Flow in Deformable Porous Media: Numerics and Benchmarks.
- 2017. Simulation of hydraulic stimulation of fractured geothermal reservoirs.
- 2017. Hydraulic stimulation and friction laws for fracture deformation – a numerical study .
- 2017. Hydraulic stimulation and friction laws for fracture deformation – a numerical study.
- 2017. Hybrid FE-FV scheme for modeling pressure-induced fracture propagation in porous media using a phase-field approach.
- 2017. High-accuracy phase-field models for brittle fracture based on a new family of degradation functions.
- 2017. Handling of Fractures and Intersections in Finite Volume Methods.
- 2017. Finite volume discretizations of poro-elasticity in high contrast media.
- 2017. Discretization of mixed-dimensional problems using legacy codes.
- 2017. An approach for simulation of hydraulic stimulation of a fractured geothermal reservoir.
- 2017. A numerical approach for simulation of shear dilation of three-dimensional fracture networks.
- 2016. Permeability enhancement of geothermal reservoirs - modelling and simulation of coupled mechanics and flow.
- 2016. Enhanced geothermal systems – modeling of fracture response to hydraulic stimulation.
- 2016. A weakly symmetric finite volume method for elasticity with application to fractures in porous media.
- 2015. Flow and permeability enhancement in fractured geothermal reservoirs.
- 2014. Modeling of Permeability Enhancement in Geothermal Reservoirs by Shear-Dilation Stimulation.
- 2014. Mathematical modeling of permeability enhancement in geothermal reservoirs.
- 2014. Coupling between temperature, solute transport and porosity changes in a geothermal reservoir.
- 2013. Thermal fracturing of geothermal wells and effects of borehole orientation.
- 2013. Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs: inexact solvers and improved transport upscaling, Influence of convection on production from borehole heat exchangers.
- 2012. Simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in fractured geothermal reservoirs.
- 2012. Simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in fractured geothermal reservoir.
- 2012. Exponential Euler Time Integrator for Simulation of Geothermal Processes in Heterogeneous Porous Media.
- 2012. Electrical conductivity of fractured media: A computational study of the self-consistent method.
- 2012. A MPFA approach for simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in fractured reservoirs.
- 2011. Discrete Fracture Matrix models for modelling heat and mass transfer in geothermal reservoirs.
- 2011. Challenges in mathematical modeling and numerical simulation of geothermal systems.
- 2011. An efficient Multi-Point-Flux-Approximation (MPFA) approach to Discrete Fracture Matrix (DFM) flow models.
- 2010. Convection cells in porous media. Seminar on flow in porous media and multiscale methods.
- 2010. A numerical modell of an enhanced geothermal system.
- 2006. Identification of conductivity distributions by adaptive multiscale estimation using level sets.
- 2006. Adaptive Multiscale and Level-Set Estimation.
- 2006. A Discontinuous Galerkin Method for Computing Time-of-Flight in Discrete-Fracture Models.
- 2004. Combined adaptive multiscale and level set parameter estimation.
- 2002. A streamline front-tracking method for two- and three-phase flow including capillary forces.
- 2019. Numerical Methods for Processes in Fractured Porous Media. Birkhäuser Verlag.
- 2019. Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications ENUMATH 2017. Springer Berlin/Heidelberg.
- 2010. Robust inversion of controlled source electromagnetic data for production monitoring. Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Expanded Abstracts with Biographies. 726-731.
Inga Berre has been responsible for teaching and developing courses at undergraduate and graduate level on calculus, functional analysis, mathematical modelling, and numerical methods and energy. In 2015 she was responsible for the one-week course "Future Energy Landscapes" at the Bergen Summer Research School - The Sustainable Development Goals.
Inga Berre has graduated 27 master students, 17 as main advisor. She has been the main advisor of 6 and co-supervised* 4 graduated PhD students:
- Runar Berge, Numerical methods for coupled processes in fractured porous media, 2019
- Michael Sargado*, Phase-field modeling and simulation of brittle fracture, 2019
- Mats Brun*, Upscaling, analysis and iterative numerical solution schemes for thermo-poroelasticity, 2019
- Wietse Boon*, Conforming discretizations of mixed-dimensional partial differential equations, 2018
- Eren Uçar, Numerical modeling of shear stimulation in naturally fractured geothermal reservoir, 2018
- Odd Andersen, Simplified models for numerical simulation of geological CO2 storage, 2016
- Pål N. Sævik, Upscaling and parameter identification for fractured reservoirs, 2015
- Carina Bringedal, Mathematical modeling of natural convection and fluid-rock interaction in geothermal systems, 2015
- Tor Harald Sandve, Multiscale simulation of flow and heat transport in fractured geothermal reservoirs, 2013
- Sigvat Stensholt*, Lattice-Boltzmann modeling of spatial variation in surface tension and wetting effects, 2011
SiGS (2020-2024): Simulation of governing processes in superheated and supercritical geothermal systems: mathematical models, numerical methods and field data
ERiS (2017-2020): Enancing Geothermal Reservoirs – Hydraulic and Thermal Stimulation Technology, Research Council of Norway EnergiX
TheMSES (2016-21): Thermo-Mechanical Subsurface Energy Storage, 2016-2021, Research Council of Norway Toppforsk
FracZone (2015-18): Improved Simulation Technology for Flow and Transport in Fracture Zones, VISTA
ANIGMA (2015-18): An Integrated Geological and Mathematical Framework for the Characterization, Modelling and Simulation of Fractured Geothermal Reservoirs, Research Council of Norway EnergiX
CONQUER (2015-18): CO2 Storage in the North Sea: Quantification of Uncertainties and Error Reduction Research Coucil of Norway
GeoStim (2014-17): Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Simulation for Enhanced Understanding of Geothermal Reservoir Stimulation by Shear Dilation Treatment, Research Council of Norway
FracSim (2014-17): Multiscale Simulation of Fractured Reservoirs, VISTA