Jan Haavik is a medical doctor who graduated from the University of Bergen. After completion of an 18 month clinical internship in internal medicine, surgery and general practice, he started research in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology. He defended his dr. med./phd degree in biochemistry in 1989 and was appointed as full professor at Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in 1993. During his entire career he has combined teaching, basic and translational neuroscience research with full-time or part-time clinical duties. He is a board certified specialist of adult psychiatry. From 2002 he has been working a senior consultant in psychiatry at Haukeland University hospital, with a special focus on ADHD and affective disorders. He is leading the Neurotargeting Research group and the Center of Neuropsychiatric Disorders, dedicated to exploring new treatment targets for neuropsychiatric disorders. He is involved in multiple international collaborative projects, including 3 ongoing H2020 EU project and 3 previous EU-projects. Interspersed with his work in Norway, he has had multiple stays research institutions in Sweden, Scotland, Germany, France, the United States and the Netherlands. From 2011-2018 he was director of the interdisciplinary center of excellence: "KGJebsen Center for Research on Neuropsychiatric Disorders".
- 2021. Synthetic corticosteroids as tryptophan hydroxylase stabilizers. Future Medicinal Chemistry. 1465-1474.
- 2021. Investigating Shared Genetic Basis Across Tourette Syndrome and Comorbid Neurodevelopmental Disorders Along the Impulsivity-Compulsivity Spectrum. Biological Psychiatry.
- 2021. Evidence for similar structural brain anomalies in youth and adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a machine learning analysis. Translational Psychiatry. 1-9.
- 2021. Diet, physical activity, and disinhibition in middle-aged and older adults: A uk biobank study. Nutrients. 1-13.
- 2021. Comorbidity of ADHD and adult bipolar disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 100-123.
- 2021. 1q21.1 distal copy number variants are associated with cerebral and cognitive alterations in humans. Translational Psychiatry.
- 2020. Validitet og diagnostisk treffsikkerhet ved bruk av screeningverktøy for ADHD hos voksne. Best Practise Nordic.
- 2020. Discovery and biological characterization of a novel scaffold for potent inhibitors of peripheral serotonin synthesis. Future Medicinal Chemistry. 1461-1474.
- 2020. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder; sex differences in psychiatric comorbidity and transgenerational recurrence risks : A population-based study using Norwegian registry data.
- 2020. Alcohol and drug use disorders in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Prevalence and associations with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptom severity and emotional dysregulation. . World Journal of Psychiatry (WJP). 202-211.
Jan Haavik completed his medical education at the University of Bergen in 1983. As a student, he started his research career in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology. He conducted a tour of Bergen and the municipalities of Agder, graduated from the University of Bergen in 1989, and was employed as a professor, 34, at the present Institute of Biomedicine in 1993. In the period 1986-2014 he had nine shorter and longer research stays at outstanding research institutions in Sweden, Scotland, Germany, France, the United States and the Netherlands. From 2002 he has had a 20% position as a general practitioner in psychiatry, first at Øyane DPS and later at Kronstad DPS, both affiliated with Helse Bergen.