Jana Belschner is a PhD candidate at the Institute of Comparative Politics. Her research interests cover political representation, elections, and political parties. She has a special interest in local politics.
Jana's PhD project analyses the political inclusion of women and youth by means of electoral financing, quotas, and party based initiatives. Using both quantitative and qualitiative methods, the disstertation focuses on dynamics of local political representation in Tunisia and Ireland and investigates how party systems, electoral quotas, and electoral financing impact on patterns of youth and women's representation.
Belschner, Jana and Marta Garcia de Paredes. 2020. Hierarchies of Representation: The Re-distributive Effects of Gender and Youth Quotas. Representation, DOI:10.1080/00344893.2020.1778510
Belschner, Jana. 2020. Empowering Young Women? Gender and Youth Quotas in Tunisia, in: Double-Edged Politics on Women’s Rights in the MENA Region edited by Hanane Darhour and Drude Dahlerup, Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 257-278, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-27735-2.
Belschner, Jana. 2018. The adoption of youth quotas after the Arab uprisings. Politics, Groups, and Identities, DOI:10.1080/21565503.2018.1528163.
- 2018. The adoption of youth quotas after the Arab uprisings. Politics, Groups, and Identities.
- 2018. the determinants for youth’s participation in politics.
- 2018. "The effect of quotas enforced by financial sanctioning mechanisms".
- 2018. "Gender quota regulations in Europe".
- 2018. Democracy, gender equality, and economic development.
- 2018. “Political recruitment of young people. The importance of resources”.
- 2018. “Political recruitment of young men and women. The importance of resources”.
- 2018. "The adoption of electoral quotas after the Arab uprisings" (paper presentation).
- 2017. The intersectional impact of gender and youth quotas.
- 2017. The adoption of electoral quotas after the Arab spring.
- 2017. Les quotas des jeunes en Afrique.
- 2017. Barriers to political recruitment at the intersection of age and gender.
- 2020. Empowering Young Women? Gender and Youth Quotas in Tunisia. 22 pages.