Janne Bjorheim Bøe
- Phone+47 55 58 67 24+47 412 62 477
- Visitor AddressParkveien 9
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 BERGEN
My PhD work concerns Palestinian women on the West Bank and their role in their households' economy. I look into how women's increasing wage work is affecting their roles in their homes and I also look at other ways than through wage work women contribute to their household economy. Examples of the latter are through management of food and maintenance of social networks. To shed light on these factors I use a wedding lunch as an example as preparations of food in such an important social event as a wedding is captures both the importance of food distribution and of showcasing their networks. I am also concerned with how religion, in this case Islam, is part of women's every day life and tie this to their roles as mothers and wives and to their households' economic management. Patriarchal relations is discussed.
In earlier research I have looked at how the increase in use of "hijab" can be related to wider societal changes and changes in Islamic practices on a local level. I have also compared the development in income for living in two former farm villages in the West Bank. In a Norwegian context I have been concerned with economic relations and equality between couples with children.
2008: Mphil. Seminar leader.
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009: MKU 101, Introduction to Cultures, Religions and Society in the Middle East.
- 2004. Farming will always remain the best job, it was the first love. A social anthropological comparison of irrigation societies at the West Bank. 159 pages.
- 2008. Et bilde som overskygget teksten. Jordens Folk. 1: 16-17.
- 2007. Hverdag under blokade. Klassekampen. Published 2007-05-14.
- 2005. Hijab- mellom religion og politikk. Nytt Norsk Tidsskrift. 1. 3-17.
- 2005. ”Vi vil vel være prototypen på likestilt økonomi” Om økonomiske forvaltningssystemer i norske barnefamiliehushold. Sosiologisk Tidsskrift. 13: 29-44.
- 2004. Fra yeshiva til den israelske hæren. Babylon - Nordisk tidsskrift for Midtøstenstudier. 4.
- 2004. Er religiøs kunnskap en trussel mot det tradisjonelle patriarkiet? Babylon - Nordisk tidsskrift for Midtøstenstudier. 1: 74-86.
- 2017. Kunnskapsoppsummering - Helsehjelp til eldre. Helse- og omsorgsdepartementet. 135 pages.
- 2015. Women and Work - Money and Gifts. The Dynamics of Gendered Economic Adaptations in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. University of Bergen.
2009. Feasts for thought: Palestinian Women and the Case of a Wedding Lunch, in Food and Foodways in the Middle East, Nefissa Naguib (ed.). Bergen: The Lower Jordan River Basin Programme Publications 18, pp. 111-121.
Regional focus: Palestine, West Bank, Middle East
Thematic focus: Family, gender, household economy, Islam
Ongoing and completed projects
1998-2008: Participation in The Lower Jordan River Basin Programme
2003-2005 Economic relations in Norwegian families with children
2005-2008: Participation in Global Moments in the Levant