- Phone+47 55 58 60 03+47 922 96 559
- Visitor AddressJonas Liesvei 915009 BergenRoom9th floor, Bygg for biologiske basalfag (BBB)
- Postal AddressPostboks 78075020 BERGEN
My current research focuses on the relationship between stress (across the life span), disturbances in sleep and circadian rhythms (like working nights or changes in hours with daylight) and health (mentally and physically). The research highlights how circadian rhythms modulate physiology and behaviour, as well as how disrupting them in animal models can produce physiological and behavioral abnormalities that change an animal's susceptibility to further environmental or psychological stress.
I also have a current research focus on the consequences on exposure to - or blocking - blue light. Blue light affects activation level in the healthy young population and some patients with psychiatric disorders may be vulnerable to such energy-riched light.
It is hoped that these animal models and clinical trials will provide an understanding of how dysregulation of the body's timing interact to produce changes in behavior and physiology, and will potentially lead to new clinical interventions to alleviate some of the physical and mental health consequences of our modern lifestyles.
- The regulation and function of sleep
- The relationship between sleep, circadian rhythms, stress and brain function
- How can stress influence the sleep; quality, regulation and function
- How can stress influence circadian rhythms
- The influence of stress on behavior
- Consequences of stress on the neurobiology
- Consequences of simulated shiftwork on sleep, circadian rhythms, biological clocks and metabolism
- How light influence wakefulness and sleep
- e-reading before bedtime
- blocking blue light as additive treatment for mania
- blocking blue light as treatment to ease sleep disturbances during pregnancy
- consequences of short day versus long day
- Polysomnography (PSG)
- Circadian rhythms
- Light laboratory
- Blue-blocking glasses
- Simulated shift work, in men and rodents
- Animal models of depression
- Behavioral tests in rodents
Nobel prize for the function of circadian rhythms
Podcast in Norwegian from 13:17, NRK Kuriøs.
Is there a connection between sleep, circadian rhythms and depression?
A conversation with Trond Viggo Torgersen and me.
Podcast in Norwegian, NRK Kroppen
Several Utøya-survivors suffered from sleep disturbances two years after the terror attack
Web article in Norwegian at forskning.no
Sleep - elegantly designed for us to be awake
Chronicle in Norwegian, Bergens Tidende
Do dogs dream?
NRK Newton. TV program in Norwegian from 16:07
Reading from a tablet before bed may affect sleep quality
Interview in English. Reuters Health
Biological psychology PROPSY303
Sleep, circadian rhythms and behavior PSYK115
Circadian rhythms and sleep their role in mental and physical health, safety and productivity (NRSN summer school 2017)
Polysomnography (PSG) - scoring of sleep and sleep related events; beginners and advanced level
Some topics that I teach:
- The regulation of sleep and circadian rhythms
- Sleep, sleep disturbances and mental health
- Chronobiological treatment of psychiatric diseases
- The use of actigraphy and PSG
- The interpretation of actogram and hypnogram
- Sexual reproduction and differentiation
Here you can find my list of publications in PubMed
- 2018. A pilot study of impulse radio ultra wideband radar technology as a new tool for sleep assessment. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (JCSM). 14: 1249-1254. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.7236
- 2017. Tid påvirker alt som skjer i kroppene våre. Aftenposten Viten. 16-17. Published 2017-10-10.
- 2017. Life threat and sleep disturbances in adolescents: a two-year follow-up of survivors from the 2011 Utøya, Norway, terror attack. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 30: 219-228. doi: 10.1002/jts.22196
- 2017. Søvnproblem kan være et lysproblem. Aftenposten Viten. 19 des: 34-35.
- 2017. No escaping the rat race: simulated night shift work alters the time-of-day variation in BMAL1 translational activity in the prefrontal cortex. Frontiers in Neural Circuits. 11:70: 1-12. doi: 10.3389/fncir.2017.00070
- 2017. Cumulative childhood maltreatment and its dose-response relation with adult symptomatology: Findings in a sample of adult survivors of sexual abuse. International Journal of Child Abuse & Neglect. 65: 99-111. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.01.008
- 2017. Posttraumatic symptom profiles among adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse: A longitudinal study. International Journal of Child Abuse & Neglect. 67: 280-293. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.03.002
- 2016. Prescription trajectories and effect of total hip arthroplasty on the use of analgesics, hypnotics, antidepressants, and anxiolytics: Results from a population of total hip arthroplasty patients. Pain. 157: 643-651. Published 2015-11-14. doi: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000414
- 2016. How perceived pain influence sleep and mood more than the reverse: A novel, exploratory study with patients awaiting total hip arthroplasty. Frontiers in Psychology. 7. 11 pages. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01689
- 2016. Relationships between pain, sleep and mood: Perceptions of symptom interaction in patients awaiting total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 224-224. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. What does shift work do to sleep, circadian function and regulation of metabolism? Controlled studies with a rodent model. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 27-27. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Reading from an iPad or from a book in bed: the impact on human sleep. A randomized controlled crossover trial. Sleep Medicine. 21: 86-92. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2016.02.006
- 2016. Sleep homeostatic and waking behavioral phenotypes in Egr3-deficient mice associated with serotonin receptor 5-HT2 deficits. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 103-104. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Sleep homeostatic and waking behavioral phenotypes in Egr3-deficient mice associated with serotonin receptor 5-Ht2 deficits. Sleep. 39: 2189-2199. Published 2016-12-01. doi: 10.5665/sleep.6324
- 2016. A rodent model of night-shift work induces short-term and enduring sleep and electroencephalographic disturbances. Journal of Biological Rhythms. 32: 48-63. doi: 10.1177/0748730416675460
- 2016. Beta EEG reflects sensory processing in active wakefulness and homeostatic sleep drive in quiet wakefulness. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 257-268. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12380
- 2016. Blue-blocking glasses as additive treatment for mania: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Bipolar Disorders. 18: 221-232. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12390
- 2016. Lentiviral HSV-Tk.007-mediated suicide gene therapy is not toxic for normal brain cells. Journal of Gene Medicine. 18: 234-243. doi: 10.1002/jgm.2895
- 2016. Shift in food intake and changes in metabolic regulation and gene expression during simulated night-shiftwork: A rat model. Nutrients. 8:712: 1-13. doi: 10.3390/nu8110712
- 2016. Simulated night work alters clock gene expression in central and peripheral tissue in rats. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 57-57. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Mild daily stressors in adulthood may counteract behavioural effects after constant presence of mother during early life. Physiology and Behavior. 165: 313-321. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.08.018
- 2016. Behandling av mareritt : en oversikt over randomiserte behandlingsstudier. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 53: 716-726.
- 2016. The impact of e-reading on sleep. Sleep Medicine. 23: 109-110. Published 2016-08-03. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2016.07.005
- 2016. A rat model for shiftwork: Effects on sleep architecture and sleep homeostasis. Journal of Sleep Research. 25: 248-249. Published 2016-08-29. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12446
- 2016. Langvarig taushet om seksuelle overgrep : prediktorer og korrelater hos voksne som opplevde seksuelle overgrep som barn. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 53: 889-899.
- 2016. Implication of NOTCH1 Gene in Susceptibility to Anxiety and Depression among Sexual Abuse Victims. Translational psychiatry. doi: 10.1038/tp.2016.248
- 2014. Prevalence and correlates of insomnia and excessive sleepiness in adults with obstructive sleep apnea symptoms. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 118: 571-586. doi: 10.2466/15.06.PMS.118k20w3
- 2014. Sleep and protein synthesis-dependent synaptic plasticity: impacts of sleep loss and stress. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. 7:224. 18 pages. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2013.00224
- 2014. Blocking blue light during mania - markedly increased regularity of sleep and rapid improvement of symptoms: A case report. Bipolar Disorders. 16: 894-898. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12265
- 2014. Effects of social defeat on sleep and behaviour: Importance of the confrontational behaviour. Physiology and Behavior. 127: 54-63. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2014.01.010
- 2014. Hypothermia after chronic mild stress exposure in rats with a history of postnatal maternal separations. Chronobiology International. 31: 252-264. doi: 10.3109/07420528.2013.846351
- 2013. Ulik forekomst av søvnlidelser mellom fylker og mellom by og land. SØVN. 5: 22-25.
- 2013. Shift-related sleep problems vary according to work schedule. Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 70: 238-245. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2012-101091
- 2013. Markus og Mille – en natt på søvnlaboratoriet. SØVN. 5: 10-13.
- 2013. Søvnproblemer hos små barn – hvordan behandle det? SØVN. 5: 10-13.
- 2013. Redaktørens hjørne. SØVN. 5: 3.
- 2013. Søvnlaboratoriet ved Lovisenberg Diakonale sykehus. Et søvnsenter for barn – og voksne. SØVN. 5: 26-29.
- 2013. Early and later life stress alter brain activity and sleep in rats. PLoS ONE. 8. Published 2013-07-26. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0069923
- 2013. Sesongvariasjoner, døgnrytmeforstyrrelser og AD/HD. SØVN. 5: 5-7.
- 2013. Gamma knife surgery as monotherapy with clinically relevant doses prolongs survival in a Human GBM Xenograft Model. Biomedical research. 2013. 9 pages. doi: 10.1155/2013/139674
- 2012. Interaktiv spørreundersøkelse om søvn på nett. SØVN. 2. 6-9.
- 2012. Medication use and its relation to measures on sleep, pain, depression and anxiety in older chronic pain patients. Journal of Sleep Research. 21: 370-370.
- 2012. Sleep in older chronic pain patients: a comparative polysomnographic study. The Clinical Journal of Pain. 28: 277-283. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e3182313899
- 2012. A reliability and validity study of the Bergen shift work sleep questionnaire in nurses working three-shift rotations. Chronobiology International. 29: 937-946. doi: 10.3109/07420528.2012.699120
- 2012. Shift work disorder in nurses - assessment, prevalence and related health problems. PLoS ONE. 7. 9 pages. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0033981
- 2012. Hva drømmer du om? SØVN. 2. 20-21.
- 2012. Post-transcriptional effects and interactions between chronic mild stress and acute sleep deprivation: Regulation of translation factor and cytoplasmic polyadenylation element-binding protein phosphorylation. Behavioural Brain Research. 235: 251-262. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2012.08.008
- 2012. Chronic mild stress abolishes a relationship between sleep architecture and translational control. Journal of Sleep Research. 21: 41-41.
- 2012. Long-term effects of footshock and social defeat on anxiety-like behaviours in rats: Relationships to pre-stressor plasma corticosterone concentration. Stress. 15: 658-670. doi: 10.3109/10253890.2012.663836
- 2012. Sleep architecture, behaviour, corticosterone and acoustic startle response after double exposure to social defeat in rats. Journal of Sleep Research. 21: 212-212.
- 2012. Sleep disturbances in sexual abuse victims: A systematic review. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 16: 15-25. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2011.01.006
- 2012. Insomnia, nightmare frequency, and nightmare distress in victims of sexual abuse: the role of perceived social support and abuse characteristics. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 27: 1827-1843. doi: 10.1177/0886260511430385
- 2012. Forekomsten av seksuelle overgrep i et representativt befolkningsutvalg i Norge. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 49: 950-957.
- 2012. Neonatal maternal separation in male rats increases intestinal permeability and affects behavior after chronic social stress. Physiology and Behavior. 105: 1058-1066. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2011.11.024
- 2011. Transient changes in frontal alpha asymmetry as a measure of emotional and physical distress during sleep. Brain Research. 1367: 234-249. Published 2011-01-07. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2010.09.090
- 2011. Hvordan sover vi - egentlig? SØVN. 3: 10-12.
- 2011. Trygg nok til å sove? SØVN. 3: 6-9.
- 2010. Prevalence of different parasomnias in the general population. Sleep Medicine. 11: 1031-1034. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2010.07.011
- 2010. Akkreditering av søvnspesialister og søvnsentre i Norge. SØVN. 4: 20.
- 2010. Hva er status vedrørende akkreditering i Norge? SØVN. 4. 21.
- 2010. Europeisk søvnkongress i Lisboa. SØVN. 4. 11.
- 2010. Dyremodeller for søvn og stress - implikasjoner for mentale lidelser. SØVN. 4. 8-10.
- 2009. Parasomnier. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 129: 1892-1894.
- 2009. Behandling av søvnapné – pustemaske, bittskinne eller kirurgi? SØVN. 2.
- 2009. Beste søvnartikkel i 2009. SØVN. 3. 15.
- 2009. Basale søvnmekanismer. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 129: 1758-1761. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.08.0465
- 2008. Prevalence of possible parasomnias in the general population. Journal of Sleep Research. 17: P48.
- 2008. Increased extracellular 5-HT but no change in sleep after perfusion of a 5-HT1A antagonist into the dorsal raphe nucleus of rats. Acta Physiologica. 193: 89-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-1716.2007.01792.x
- 2008. Sleep deprivation as an antidepressant treatment following chronic mild stress: effects on translation factor EIF4E and EEF2 activity. Journal of Sleep Research. 17: 221-221.
- 2008. A double exposure to social defeat induces sub-chronic effects on sleep and open field dehaviour in rats. Physiology and Behavior. 95: 553-561. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.07.031
- 2008. The effect of a REM sleep deprivation procedure on different aspects of memory function in humans. Psychophysiology. 45: 309-317. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8986.2007.00623.x
- 2007. Nasjonalt Kompetansesenter for Søvnsykdommer. Paraplyen. Tidsskrift for Hordaland og Sogn og Fjordane legeforeninger. 20-21.
- 2007. Increased extracellular 5-HT but no change of sleep after perfusion of a 5-HT1A antagonist into the dorsal raphe nucleous of rats. Acta Physiologica.
- 2007. Extracellular levels of serotonin and GABA in the hippocampus after chronic mild stress in rats. A microdialysis study over the sleep/wake cycle in an animal model of depression. Sleep and Biological Rhythms.
- 2007. Extracellular levels of serotonin and GABA in the hippocampus after chronic mild stress in rats. - A microdialysis study in an animal model of depression. Behavioural Brain Research. 181: 42-51. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2007.03.018
- 2006. The effect of GABA(A) antagonist bicuculline on dorsal raphe nucleus and frontal cortex extracellular serotonin: A window on SWS and REM sleep modulation. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 83. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2006.02.014
- 2006. SOV:no: Nasjonalt Kompetansesenter for Søvnsykdommer. Medisinsk informasjon. 1. 28-29.
- 2006. Chronic mild stress inhibits BDNF protein expression and CREB activation in the dentate gyrus but not in the hippocampus proper. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 85: 842-849. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2006.11.021
- 2006. Modest changes in sleep and open field behaviour in rats exposed to social defeats. Journal of Sleep Research. 15: 127-127.
- 2006. Social defeats induce modest changes in sleep and open field behaviour in rats. Sleep. 29: A17-A17.
- 2006. Preferential increase of extracellular dopamine in the rat nucleus accumbens shell as compared to that in the core during acquisition and maintenance of intravenous nicotine self-administration. Psychopharmacology. 184: 335-346.
- 2005. Effects of chronic mild stress on sexual behavior, locomotor activity and consumption of sucrose and saccharine solutions. Physiology and Behavior. 84: 571-577. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2005.02.007
- 2005. Chronic mild stress, an animal model of depression, affects the expression of BDNF and 5-HT levels over the sleep/wake cycle in hippocampus in rats. Sleep. 28.
- 2004. Human alpha-lactalbumin made lethal to tumor cells (HAMLET) kills human glioblastoma cells in brain xenografts by an apoptosis-like mechanism and prolongs survival. Cancer Research. 64: 2105-2112.
- 2004. Dose-related effect of bicuculline perfused in DRN. Journal of Sleep Research. 13. 236-236.
- 2004. The effect of rem sleep deprivation on different memory tasks in humans. Journal of Sleep Research. 13. 1 pages.
- 2002. Effects of sleep deprivation on extracellular serotonin in the hippocampus and frontal cortex of the rat. Neuroscience. 113: 323-330.
- 2001. Sleep and waking following microdialysis perfusion of the selective 5-HT 1A receptor antagonist p-MPPI into the dorsal raphe nucleus in the freely moving rat. Brain Research. 897: 122-130.
- 2001. The selective 5-HT 1A receptor antagonist p-MPPI antagonizes sleep-waking and behavioural effects of 8-OH-DPAT in rats. Behavioural Brain Research. 121: 181-187.
- 1998. On-line detection of extracellular levels of serotonin in dosal raphe nucleus and frontal cortex over the sleep/wake cycle in the freely moving rat. Neuroscience. 83: 807-814.
- 1998. On-line detection of extracellular levels of serotonin in dorsal raphe nucleus and frontal cortex over the sleep/wake cycle in the freely moving ra. Neuroscience. 83: 807-814.
- 2006. Chronic mild stress an anmial model of depression. From behavior to molecules.
- 1996. Vekselvirkninger mellom polyelektrolytt og ioniske surfaktanter i vandig fase og på _a-alumina studert ved ledningsevnemålinger og adsorpsjonsisotermer. UiB. 141 pages.
- 2008. Involvement of the 5-HT1A and the 5-HT1B receptor in the regulation of sleep and waking. 12. In:
- 2008. Serotonin and Sleep: Molecular, Functional and Clinical Aspects. Birkhäuser Verlag. 621 pages. ISBN: 978-3-7643-8560-6.
Associate professor in Biological psychology, UiB (2011- )
Assistant research professor ved Washington State University, USA (2014-2016)
Somnologist – researcher.
Prior editor of the Norwegian journal 'SLEEP'
Postdoctor at Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, UiB
Center coordinator, Norwegian competence center for sleep disorders
Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT).
Ph.d. candidate at Department of Biomedicine, UiB
Researcher, EU project 'Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Nicotine Dependence', Cagliari, Italia
Cand. Scient. from Department of Chemistry, UiB