I am a transdisciplinary ecologist interested in the sustainable development and understanding where we as humans fit into the big ecological picture. My current work focusses on identifying, assessing and mapping ecosystem services in the newly designated UNESCO Nordhordland Biosphere. I am using co-creation methods incorporating both expert scientific knowledge and local participation.
I have a background in various research fields including macroecology and ecophysiology. In addition, I have worked for local government and consultancy during which I was involved in ecological restoration projects, ecological management and restoration planning for private clients and protected areas.
- (2022). Mapping stakeholder networks for the co-production of multiple ecosystem services: A novel mixed-methods approach. Ecosystem Services.
- (2021). Participatory mapping reveals biocultural and nature values in the shared landscape of a Nordic UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. People and Nature. 365-381.
- (2019). Environmental drivers of stem radius change measurements and heterogeneity of stem radial water storage in the mangrove Avicennia marina (Forssk.) Vierh. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology.
- (2012). What is the form of the productivity–animal species richness relationship? A critical review and meta-analysis. Ecology.
- (2021). Science for nature and people: celebrating the contributions of research to the Man and Biosphere Programme through 50 years .
- (2021). Mapping the connections between people and Nature: participatory mapping of ecosystem services in a Nordic biosphere reserve. .
- (2021). How will afforestation impact on ecosystem services values in non-forested landscapes? A participatory mapping study in western Norway.
- (2021). Hva slags landskapstyper liker vi best? (blogg.forskning.no - Søkelys på skogplantning [Internet]).
- (2022). Developing positional awareness in sustainability science: four archetypes for early career scientists working in an SDG world. Sustainability Science. 1-6.
Cusens, J., A. D. Barraclough, I. E. Måren. (2021). Participatory mapping reveals biocultural and nature values in the shared landscape of a Nordic UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. People and Nature. doi: 10.1002/pan3.10287 (Open access)
Donnellan Barraclough, A. M., R. Zweifel, J. Cusens, S. Leuzinger. Disentangling the net: concomitant xylem and over-bark measurements reveal the phloem-generated osmotic adjustment behind daytime stem swelling in the mangrove Avicennia marina (Forssk.) Vierh. Functional Plant Biology, 46:5, 393-406. doi: https://doi.org/10.1071/FP18155
Donnellan Barraclough, A. M., R. Zweifel, J. Cusens, S. Leuzinger. (2018). Daytime stem swelling and seasonal reversal in the peristaltic depletion of stored water along the stem of Avicennia marina (Forssk.) Vierh. Tree Physiology, 38:7, 965–978. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/tpy021
Tran, P., I. Gritcan, J. Cusens, A. C. Alfaro, S. Leuzinger. (2017). Biomass and nutrient composition of temperate mangroves (Avicennia marina var. australasica) in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 51:3, 427-442. doi: 10.1080/00288330.2016.1260604
Leuzinger, S., S. Fatichi, J. Cusens, C. Körner and P. Niklaus. (2015).The ‘island effect’ in terrestrial global change experiments - a problem with no solution? Special issue ‘Scaling effects regulating plant response to global change’ in AOB Plants. doi:10.1093/aobpla/plv092. (Open access)
Gillman, L.N., S.D. Wright, J. Cusens, P.D. McBride, Y. Malhi and R.J. Whittaker. (2015). Latitude, productivity and species richness. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 24, 107–117. doi: 10.1111/geb.12245. (Open access)
McBride P.D., J. Cusens and L.N. Gillman. (2014). Revisiting spatial scale in the productivity–species richness relationship: fundamental issues and global change implications. Special issue ‘Scaling effects regulating plant response to global change’ in AOB Plants. 6. doi: 10.1093/aobpla/plu057. (Open access)
Cusens, J., S.D. Wright, P.D. McBride and L.N. Gillman. (2012). What is the form of the productivity–animal species richness relationship? A critical review and meta-analysis. Ecology, 93:10, 2241–2252. doi: 10.1890/11-1861.1