John Arvid Grytnes
- Phone+47 55 58 81 28+47 411 60 708
- Visitor AddressThormøhlens gate 53 A/B5006 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78035020 Bergen
- (2023). Lagging dynamics in the response of plant assemblages to global warming depends on thermal velocity. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- (2022). The European Forest Plant Species List (EuForPlant): Concept and applications. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 1-16.
- (2022). A qualitative investigation of psychological need-satisfying experiences of a mobile-learning application: A Self-Determination Theory approach. Computers & Education Open (CAEO). 11 pages.
- (2021). sPlotOpen – An environmentally-balanced, open-access, global dataset of vegetation plots. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 1740-1764.
- (2021). Trait-based responses to land use and canopy dynamics modify long-term diversity changes in forest understories. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 1863-1875.
- (2021). Testing the METUX Model in Higher Education: Interface and Task Need–Satisfaction Predict Engagement, Learning, and Well-Being. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2021). Scale dependence of species-area relationships is widespread but generally weak in Palaearctic grasslands. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS).
- (2021). Rate-of-change analysis in palaeoecology revisited: a new approach. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology.
- (2021). Functional traits of alpine plant communities show long-term resistance to changing herbivore densities. Ecosphere. 16 pages.
- (2021). Fine-grain beta diversity of Palaearctic grassland vegetation. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 15 pages.
- (2021). Benchmarking plant diversity of Palaearctic grasslands and other open habitats. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 21 pages.
- (2020). Using Red List species in designating protection status to forest areas: a case study on the problem of spatio-temporal dynamics. Biodiversity and Conservation. 3429-3443.
- (2020). The effects of a goal-framing and need-supportive app on undergraduates´ intentions, effort, and achievement in mobile science learning. Computers & Education. 1-14.
- (2019). Unfenced Borders Cause Differences in Vegetation and Fauna Between Protected and Unprotected Areas in a Tropical Savanna. Tropical Conservation Science.
- (2019). Trophic interactions and abiotic factors drive functional and phylogenetic structure of vertebrate herbivore communities across the Arctic tundra biome. Ecography. 1152-1163.
- (2019). Species–area relationships in continuous vegetation: Evidence from Palaearctic grasslands. Journal of Biogeography. 1-15.
- (2019). Open-source data reveal how collections-based fungal diversity is sensitive to global change. Applications in Plant Sciences. 1-19.
- (2019). GrassPlot v. 2.00 – first update on the database of multi-scale plant diversity in Palaearctic grasslands. Palaearctic Grasslands. 26-47.
- (2019). Assessing sampling coverage of species distribution in biodiversity databases. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 620-632.
- (2018). Weighted average regression and environmental calibration as a tool for quantifying climate-driven changes in vegetation. Journal of Plant Ecology. 460-473.
- (2018). The potential to use documentation in national Red Lists to characterize red-listed forest species in Fennoscandia and to guide conservation. Global Ecology and Conservation. 1-12.
- (2018). The effects of m-learning on motivation, achievement and well-being: A Self-Determination Theory approach. British Journal of Educational Technology (BJET). 1-15.
- (2018). Testing the novelty effect of an m-learning tool on internalization and achievement: A Self-Determination Theory approach. Computers & Education. 398-413.
- (2018). Scale sensitivity of the relationship between alpha and gamma diversity along an alpine elevation gradient in central Nepal. Journal of Biogeography. 804-814.
- (2018). Red List updates and the robustness of sites selected for conservation of red-listed species. Global Ecology and Conservation. 1-11.
- (2018). Plant species composition shifts in the Tatra Mts as a response to environmental change: a resurvey study after 90 years. Folia Geobotanica. 333-348.
- (2018). Observer and relocation errors matter in resurveys of historical vegetation plots. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 1-12.
- (2018). GrassPlot – a database of multi-scale plant diversity in Palaearctic grasslands. Phytocoenologia. 331-347.
- (2018). Effects of grazing abandonment and climate change on mountain summits flora: a case study in the Tatra Mts. Plant Ecology. 261-276.
- (2018). Downhill shift of alpine plant assemblages under contemporary climate and land-use changes. Ecosphere. 1-15.
- (2018). Are diversity trends in westrn Scandinavia influenced by post-glacial dispersal limitation? Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 360-370.
- (2018). Accelerated increase in plant species richness on mountain summits is linked to warming. Nature. 231-234.
- (2017). The influence of spatial scales on Red List composition: Forest species in Fennoscandia. Global Ecology and Conservation. 247-297.
- (2017). The effect of a mobile-application tool on biology students' motivation and achievement in species identification: A Self- Determination Theory perspective. Computers & Education. 1-12.
- (2017). Resurveying historical vegetation data – opportunities and challenges. Applied Vegetation Science. 164-171.
- (2017). Norway’s gender gap: classroom participation in undergraduate introductory science. Nordic Journal of STEM Education.
- (2017). Large climate change, large effect? Vegetation changes over the past century in the European High Arctic. Applied Vegetation Science. 204-214.
- (2017). Changing contributions of stochastic and deterministic processes in community assembly over a successional gradient. Ecology. 148-157.
- (2017). Best practice for the use of scenarios for restoration planning. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 14-25.
- (2017). An intercontinental comparison of niche conservatism along a temperature gradient. Journal of Biogeography. 1104-1113.
- (2016). Topography-driven isolation, speciation and a global increase of endemism with elevation. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 1097-1107.
- (2016). Species trait selection along a prescribed fire chronosequence. Insect Conservation and Diversity. 446-455.
- (2016). Rarefaction and elevational richness pattern: A case study in a high tropical island (New Caledonia, SW Pacific). Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 441-451.
- (2016). Modern pollen–plant richness and diversity relationships exist along a vegetational gradient in southern Norway. The Holocene. 163-175.
- (2016). Do composition and richness of woody plants vary between gaps and closed canopy patches in subtropical forests? Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 1129-1139.
- (2015). Stability of alpine vegetation over 50 years in central Norway. Folia Geobotanica. 39-48.
- (2015). Is palaeoecology a ‘special branch’ of ecology? The Holocene. 17-24.
- (2015). Effects of prescribed burning on carabid beetle diversity in coastal anthropogenic heathlands. Biodiversity and Conservation. 2565-2581.
- (2015). Disjunct populations of European vascular plant species keep the same climatic niches. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 1401-1412.
- (2014). The relationship between vegetation composition, vegetation zones and modern pollen assemblages in Setesdal, southern Norway. The Holocene. 985-1001.
- (2014). Invertebrate communities inhabiting nests of migrating passerine, wild fowl and sea birds breeding in the High Arctic, Svalbard. Polar Biology. 981-998.
- (2014). Identifying the driving factors behind observed elevational range shifts on European mountains. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 876-884.
- (2014). Diversity patterns in a diversity hotspot. Applied Vegetation Science. 381-383.
- (2014). A comparison of novel and traditional numerical methods for the analysis of modern pollen assemblages from major vegetation-landform types. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology. 22-36.
- (2013). The role of biotic interactions in shaping distributions and realised assemblages of species: implications for species distribution modelling. Biological Reviews. 15-30.
- (2013). Productivity-diversity patterns in arctic tundra vegetation. Ecography. 331-341.
- (2013). Long-term vegetation stability in northern Europe as assessed by changes in species co-occurrences. Plant Ecology & Diversity. 289-302.
- (2013). Local temperatures inferred from plant communities suggest strong spatial buffering of climate warming across Northern Europe. Global Change Biology. 1470-1481.
- (2013). Conservation of epiphytes: Single large or several small host trees? Biological Conservation. 144-151.
- (2012). Upward shift in elevational plant species ranges in Sikkilsdalen, central Norway. Ecography. 922-932.
- (2012). The bird ectoparasite Dermanyssus hirundinis (Acari, Mesostigmata) in the High Arctic: a new parasitic mite to Spitsbergen, Svalbard. Acta Parasitologica. 378-384.
- (2012). Fine-scale distribution and abundance of epiphytic lichens: environmental filtering or local dispersal dynamics? Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 459-470.
- (2012). Dispersal ability links to cross-scale species diversity patterns across the Eurasian Arctic tundra. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 851-860.
- (2012). Different evolutionary histories underlie congruent species richness gradients of birds and mammals. Journal of Biogeography. 825-841.
- (2012). Changes in arctic vegetation on Jan Mayen Island over 19 and 80 years. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 771-781.
- (2012). Are fossil assemblages in a single sediment core from a small lake representative of total deposition of mite, chironomid, and plant macrofossil remains? Journal of Paleolimnology. 669-691.
- (2012). Altitudinal species richness patterns of vascular plants in the south-eastern Pyrenees and nearby mountains of Catalonia. Plant Ecology & Diversity. 115-126.
- (2011). Quantification of UV-B flux through time using UV-B-absorbing compounds contained in fossil Pinus sporopollenin. New Phytologist. 553-560.
- (2011). Invasion of Norway spruce diversifies the fire regime in boreal European forests. Journal of Ecology. 395-403.
- (2011). Fine-scale changes in vegetation composition in a boreal mire over 50 years. Journal of Ecology. 1179-1189.
- (2011). 21st century climate change threatens mountain flora unequally across Europe. Global Change Biology. 2330-2341.
- (2010). Tree influence on soil microbial community structure. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 1934-1943.
- (2010). Recent vegetation changes at the high-latitude tree line ecotone are controlled by geomorphological disturbance, productivity and diversity. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 810-821.
- (2010). Phylogeny, niche conservatism and the latitudinal diversity gradient in mammals. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. 2131-2138.
- (2010). Cross-Scale Analysis of the Region Effect on Vascular Plant Species Diversity in Southern and Northern European Mountain Ranges. PLOS ONE.
- (2010). Alpine vegetation and species-richness patterns along two altitudinal gradients in the Gyama Valley, south-central Tibet, China. Plant Ecology & Diversity. 235-247.
- (2009). The relative importance of positive and negative interactions for pollinator attraction in a plant community. Ecological Research. 929-936.
- (2009). The importance of host tree age, size and growth rate as determinants of epiphytic lichen diversity in boreal spruce forests. Biodiversity and Conservation. 3579-3596.
- (2008). Using Museum Collections to Estimate Diversity Patterns along Geographical Gradients. Folia Geobotanica. 357-369.
- (2008). Using Museum Collections to Estimate Diversity Patterns along Geographical Gradients. Folia Geobotanica. 357-369.
- (2008). The mid-domain effect matters: simulation analyses of range-size distribution data from Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. Journal of Biogeography. 2138-2147.
- (2008). Can the mass effect explain the mid-altitudinal peak in vascular plant species richness? Basic and Applied Ecology. 373-382.
- (2007). An indirect area effect on elevational species richness patterns. Ecography. 440-448.
- (2007). A comparison of altitudinal species richness patterns of bryophytes with other plant groups in Nepal, Central Himalaya. Journal of Biogeography. 1907-1915.
- (2006). Species richness of vascular plants, bryophytes, and lichens along an altitudinal gradient in western Norway. Acta Oecologica. 241-246.
- (2006). Elevational species richness patterns for vascular plants on Mount Kinabalu, Borneo. Journal of Biogeography. 1838-1849.
- (2006). Effects of altitude and topography on species richness of vascular plants, bryophytes and lichens in alpine communities. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). 37-46.
- (2005). Willow canopies and plant community structure along an Alpine environmental gradient. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine research. 428-435.
- (2005). Palaeolimnological evidence for recent climatic change in lakes from the northern Urals, arctic Russia. Journal of Paleolimnology. 463-482.
- (2004). Relationship between plant species richness and biomass in an arid sub-alpine grassland of the Central Himalayas, Nepal. Folia Geobotanica. 57-71.
- (2004). Fern species richness along a central Himalayan elevational gradient, Nepal. Journal of Biogeography. 389-400.
- (2003). The influence of scale and species pool on the relationship between vascular plant species richness and cover in an alpine area in Norway. Plant Ecology. 273-284.
- (2003). Species-richness patterns of vascular plants along seven altitudinal transects in Norway. Ecography. 291-300.
- (2003). Species richness patterns of vascular plants along seven altitudinal transects in Norway. Ecography. 291-300.
- (2003). Ecological interpretations of the mid-domain effect. Ecology Letters. 883-888.
- (2002). the paleolimnological analyses of sediments from high mountain lake Nizné terianske pleso in th High Tatras (Slovakia). Journal of Paleolimnology. 95-109.
- (2002). The sediment record of the past 200 years in a Swiss high-alpine lake: Hagelseewli (2339 m a.s.l). Journal of Paleolimnology. 111-127.
- (2002). The paleolimnological analyses of sediments from high mountain lake Nizné Terianske pleso in the High Tatras (Slovakia). Journal of Paleolimnology. 95-109.
- (2002). Lake Redó ecosystem response to an increasing warming in the Pyrenees during the twentieth century. Journal of Paleolimnology. 129-145.
- (2002). Distribution of vascular plant species richness and endemic richness along the Himalayan elevation gradient in Nepal. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 291-301.
- (2002). Distribution of vascular plant richness and endemic richness along the Himalayan elevation gradient in Nepal. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 291-301.
- (2002). Comparing palaeolimnological and instrumental evidence of climate change for remote mountain lakes over the last 200 years. Journal of Paleolimnology. 161-179.
- (2002). Climate variability and ecosystem dynamics of remote alpine and arctic lakes: the MOLAR project. Journal of Paleolimnology. 1-6.
- (2002). A comparison between null models and interpolated plant species richness along the Himalayan altitudinal gradient. The American Naturalist. 294-304.
- (2000). Geographical trends in the species-to-family ratio of vascular plants in Fennoscandia. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. 60-64.
- (2000). Fine-scale vascular plant richness in different alpine vegetation types: relationships with biomass and cover. Journal of Vegetation. 87-92.
- (1999). Plant species richness in Fennoscandia: evaluating the relative importance of climate and history. Nordic Journal of Botany (NJB). 489-503.
- (1997). Artsrikdom i forhold til biomasse. Et kort resymé av noen foreløpige resultater. In Fagmøte i vegetasjonsøkologi på Kongsvoll 1996. Rapport. 126-128.
- (2015). Sharing vegetation data: Outline of an infrastructure to secure scientific and technical standards that can facilitate data exchange. 4. 4. .
- (2021). R-Ratepol: R package for estimating rate-of-change in complex multivariate time sequences.
- (2022). Assessing the relation between fine-scale geodiversity and local species richness in mountain heaths and tundra .
- (2019). Study of temporal changes in forest vegetation reveals large differences between species groups .
- (2019). Perceived novelty is not enough: the effect of need-support in m-learning on internalization and achievement.
- (2019). Diverse and natural forest buffers the effect of ash dieback on bryophyte communities .
- (2019). Climate warming accelerates the increase in plant species richness on mountain summits .
- (2018). How mobile learning can support student motivation and achievement.
- (2017). Long-term plant species composition shifts in Morskie Oko Valley (Tatry Wysokue mts) as a response to changes in environment.
- (2017). Hvordan teknologi bidrar til biologistudenters motivasjon og læring.
- (2017). Changes in Norwegian woodlands: related to climate change or legacies of the past? Impact of climate change on the ranges of species and species composition of plant communities.
- (2016). GBIF data publishing seminar at the Department of Biology at the University of Bergen.
- (2016). Breeding success in Atlantic puffins at Hjelmsøya, northern Norway: effects of food availability and climate variation.
- (2015). What is going on in our broadleaved woodlands?
- (2015). Vegetation dynamics or stability in the High Arctic?
- (2015). Elevational shifts in plant communities is more pronounced at high elevations.
- (2015). ArtsApp – et verktøy for enklere artsidentifikasjon.
- (2014). Changing species co-occurrences over a post-fire succession.
- (2014). Assessing changes in broad-leaved deciduous forests in Western Norway by the use of total inventory lists of vascular plants.
- (2013). Diversity relationships between vegetation and modern pollen samples in the Setesdal valley of south-central Norway.
- (2012). Biodiversity relationships between vegetation and modern pollen samples in the Setesdal valley of south-central Norway.
- (2011). Last century vegetation dynamics in Northern Europe.
- (2009). Vegetation survey in a mire after 50 years. Is there any change?
- (2009). Changes in broad-leaved forests of Western Norway over the last 30 years.
- (2008). Vegetasjonsendringer over de siste 50 år.
- (2008). Using old phytosociological relevés to study long-term vegetational dynamics.
- (2003). Biodiversity and human disturbance in Himalayas.
- (2001). Tree diversity and species richness relationships in the Himalayas.
- (2017). Resurvey of historical vegetation plots: a tool for understanding long-term dynamics of plant communities. Applied Vegetation Science. 161-163.
- (2017). Hagefest - stor formidlingsdag i Botanisk hage.
Academic anthology/Conference proceedings
- (2017). How technologies motivate and enhance student learning. Lund University Open Access.
- (2021). The effect of climate variability and prey abundance on chick growth in a subarctic Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica) colony.
- (2016). THE EFFECT OF CLIMATE VARIATION AND FOOD AVAILABILITY ON BREEDING SUCCESS IN ATLANTIC PUFFINS AT HJELMSØYA, NORTHERN NORWAY.
- (2006). Recent changes in the vegetation of Rondane.
Popular scientific article
- (2018). Meconopsis torquata in the mountains near Lhasa, Tibet Autonomous Region. The Rock Garden. 82-89.
Letter to the editor
- (2018). Norske fjellområder er i rask endring. Aftenposten Viten.
- (2018). Spatiotemporal dynamics of plant assemblages under changing climate and land-use regimes in central Nepal Himalaya.
- (2018). National Red Lists in Fennoscandian Conservation: how spatio-temporal dynamics of red-listed species and geographical scale matter for site selection and conservation priorities.
- (2017). Faster, taller, more - patterns and drivers of floristic change on European mountain summits.
- (2015). Life after fire: the impact of fire on species composition and diversity in coastal heathlands.
- (2012). Spatial patterns of epiphytic lichens at local and regional scale: the influence of deterministic and stochastic processes.
- (2002). Patterns of vascular plant species richness at a range of spatial scales. -.
- (2020). Trumfer klimakrisen over biodiversitetskrisen?
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- (2011). Gradients of plant diversity: local patterns and processes. 16 pages.
- (2010). Elevational gradients in species richness. 10 pages.
- (2007). Elevational patterns in species richness.
- (2000). Is there a typical alpine flower? 10 pages.
- (2022). Temporal changes in pollination ecosystem service in high-latitude environments .
- (2017). Climate change drives shifts in plant species composition of Tatry Mountain summits over the past 100 years.
- (2016). Grazing abandonment drives community compositional shift in the Tatras mountains over the past 90 years.
- (2015). Homogenization of European Summit Floras under Global Change.
- (2015). Does the activity of hikers and grazing animals enhance a range shift of vegetation towards summits?
- (2015). Can changes in snow cover explain the observed shifts in alpine vegetation range limits?
- (2013). The effects of fire on carabid beetle diversity on a western Norwegian heathland.
- (2012). Are there relationships between species diversity in vegetation and in modern pollen samples in the Setesdal valley of south-central Norway?
- (2010). Raised Nitrogen deposition has caused major changes in a mire in South Sweden.
- (2009). Elevational shifts in plants over an 86-year period in Sikkilsdalen, central Norway.
- (2006). Recent changes in the vegetation of Rondane.
- (2002). Distribution of vascular plant species richness and endemic richness along the Himalayan elevation gradient in Nepal.
- (2001). The relationship between biomass and species richness in dry mountain grassland of Nepal.
Digital learning tools
- (2019). Artsapp for Svalbards flora – digital bestemmelsesnøkkel for artsidentifisering av planter på Svalbard (utviklet på engelsk, vil komme en norsk versjon også).
Academic literature review
- (2019). Global endemics-area relationships of vascular plants. Perspectives in Ecology and Conservation (PECON). 41-49.
- (2016). Does pollen-assemblage richness reflect floristic richness? A review of recent developments and future challenges. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology. 1-25.
- (2015). Diver-operated suction sampling in norwegian cobble grounds: Technique and associated fauna. Crustaceana. 184-202.
- (2010). Niche conservatism as an emerging principle in ecology and conservation biology. Ecology Letters. 1310-1324.
- (2009). Patterns and causes of species richness: a general simulation model for macroecology. Ecology Letters. 873-886.
Popular scientific chapter/article
- (2011). Climate change and its consequences on bryophyte-dominated snow bed vegetation. 435-440.
More information in national current research information system (CRIStin)