My main area of research is the philosophy of the social sciences (and the humanities). In particular, I work on the following topics: values in science, the individualism/holism debate, qualitative methods, research ethics, social theories of practice, and the philosophy of anthropology and sociology.
Selected recent publications
Zahle, J. (forthcoming). “Qualitative Research in Political Science” in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Political Science, Jeroen van Bouwel and Harold Kincaid (eds.). Oxford University Press.
Kincaid, H. & Zahle, J. (2022 - online first). "Are ABM Explanations in the Social Sciences Inevitably Individualist?" Synthese.
Zahle, J. (2020 - online first). "Objective Data Sets in Qualitative Research," Synthese.
Zahle, J. (2019 - online first). “Limits to Levels in the Methodological Individualism-Holism Debate,” Synthese.
Zahle, J & Kincaid, H. (2019) “Why be a Methodological Individualist?” Synthese, 196(2):655-675.
Zahle, J. (2019). “Data, Epistemic Values and Multiple Methods in Case Study Research,” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 78:32-39
Zahle, J. (2018) “Values and Data Collection in Social Research,” Philosophy of Science, 85(1), pp. 144-163.
Zahle, J. (2017) “Privacy, Informed Consent, and Participant Observation,” Perspectives on Science, 25(4), pp. 465-487.
Zahle, J. (2016) “Emergence” in Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Social Science, Lee McIntyre & Alex Rosenberg (eds.), London: Routledge Publishers, pp. 124-134.
Zahle, J. (2016) “Methodological Holism in the Social Sciences” in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Edward N. Zalta (ed.), http://plato.stanford.edu/, pp. 1-39.
Complete list of publications at www.juliezahle.dk
- (2022). Are ABM explanations in the social sciences inevitably individualist? Synthese.
- (2020). Objective Data Sets in Qualitative Research. Synthese. 101-117.
- (2019). Limits to levels in the methodological individualism–holism debate. Synthese.
- (2019). Data, Epistemic Values. and Multiple Methods in Case Study Research. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science. 32-39.
- (2019). Case Study Research in the Social Sciences. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science.
- (2018). Why be a Methodological Individualist? Synthese. 1-21.
- (2018). Values and Data Collection in Social Research. Philosophy of Science. 465-487.
- (2021). Interpretivism and Qualitative Research. 19 pages.
- (2020). The Level Conception of the Methodological Individualism-Holism Debate.
- (2020). Agent-Based Modelling With and Without Methodological Individualism.
- (2019). The Epistemic Role of Science and Experts in Democracy. 9 pages.
- (2019). Emergence in the Social Sciences. 9 pages.