- 2019. Drivers of the summer-distribution of Northeast Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) in the Nordic Seas from 2011 to 2017; a Bayesian hierarchical modelling approach. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 530-548.
- 2019. Common trends in recruitment dynamics of north-east Atlantic fish stocks and their links to environment, ecology and management. Fish and Fisheries. 518-536.
- 2018. Evolutionary effects of fishing gear on foraging behavior and life-history traits. Ecology and Evolution. 10711-10721.
- 2016. Modelling and interpreting fish bioenergetics – a role for behaviour, life-history traits, and survival trade-offs. Journal of Fish Biology. 389-402.
- 2016. Harvest control rules in modern fisheries management. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene. 22 pages.
- 2016. Can less be more? Effects of reduced frequency of surveys and stock assessments. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 56-68.
- 2014. Life-history implications of the allometric scaling of growth. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 199-207.
- 2014. Evolutionary impact assessment: accounting for evolutionary consequences of fishing in an ecosystem approach to fisheries management. Fish and Fisheries. 65-96.
- 2013. A simulation framework for evaluating fisheries management decisions using environmental information. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 743-754.
- 2012. Fishing-induced evolution of growth: concepts, mechanisms and the empirical evidence. Marine Ecology. 1-25.
- 2011. Do accurate stock estimates increase harvest and reduce variability in fisheries yields? Natural Resource Modeling. 222-241.
- 2010. Lessons learned from stock collapse and recovery of North Sea herring: a review. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 1875-1886.
- 2010. Fishing-induced evolution and changing reproductive ecology of fish: the evolution of steepness. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 1708-1719.
- 2009. Short-term dominance: stability and consequences for subsequent growth. Journal of Fish Biology. 2374-2385.
- 2016. Long term sustainable management of living marine resources in the Northern Seas. 3. 3. .
- 2013. Report of the Working Group on Widely Distributed Stocks (WGWIDE), 27 August - 2 September 2013, ICES Headquarters, Copenhagen, Denmark. ICES CM 2013/ACOM:15. 950 pp. .
- 2013. Report of the Blue Whiting/Norwegian Spring-Spawning (Atlanto- Scandian) Herring Workshop (WKBWNSSH), 11–13 March 2013, Bergen, Norway. .
- 2012. Report of the Workshop for Revision for the North Sea Herring Long Term Management Plan, 1-2 October 2012, ICES HQ, Copenhagen, Denmark. .
- 2012. Report of the Working Group on Widely Distributed Stocks (WGWIDE), 21 - 27 August 2012, Lowestoft, United Kingdom. .
- 2019. Using the SDGs to focus teaching and learning.
- 2017. Drivers of recruitment dynamics in northeast Atlantic pelagic fish stocks.
- 2016. Can less be more? Effects of reduced frequency of surveys and stock assessments.
- 2013. Fishing-induced life-history changes cause increased resilience in an evolutionary model.
- 2009. Toward Darwinian fisheries management. Evolutionary Applications. 246-259.
- 2008. Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod? Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. 1111-1112.
- 2007. Ecology - Managing evolving fish stocks. Science. 1247-1248.
Reader opinion piece
- 2008. The role of fisheries-induced evolution - Response. Science. 48-50.
- 2017. Tenk nytt om tellekanter, Haugstad! Morgenbladet.
- 2017. Kvalitetsparadokset i den norske forskningspolitikken. Khrono.no.
- 2017. Karriereveier for økt forskningskvalitet. Khrono.no.
- 2017. Gode nyheter om unge forskeres karriereveier. Khrono.no.
Letter to the editor
- 2017. Conclusion that fishing-induced evolution is negligible follows frommodel assumptions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. E4321-E4321.
- 2019. Long-term changes in life-history traits of Norwegian spring-spawning herring.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- 2008. Fish growth. 9 pages.
- 2008. Decline and recovery of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) stock throughout the North Atlantic. 28 pages.
- 2008. Ustainable use of populations and overexploitation. . In:
- 2008. The Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS). Evolution & Diversity of Life.
- 2017. Recruitment dynamics in northeast Atlantic fish stocks: synchrony and shared patterns .
Academic literature review
- 2019. Fishing for answers. 443-444.
- 2013. Can fisheries-induced evolution shift reference points for fisheries management? 707-721.
- 2009. Implications of fisheries-induced evolution for stock rebuilding and recovery. 394-414.
Fields of competence