Climate dynamics, paleoclimate, and climate modelling.
Interdisciplinary research in Earth Sciences focused on understanding the dynamics of climate change on a wide range of timescales, including tectonic, orbital and millennial, by using a hierarchy of climate and ice sheet models combined with marine and terrestrial proxy data.
For updates see blogg:
Teaching science of climate, weather and glaciology in the field to school children and the general public:
A few media highlights:
Causes and Consequences of Climate Change
Interdisplinary course answering to UNs Sustinable Development Goal SDG-13 on Climate Action.
Causes of Climate Change
Online course offereded through Future Learn first offerede 21st of September 2015
Advanced Climate Dynamics Courses
A yearly summer school offered to advanced PhD candidates and early career scientists focusing on current topics relating to climate dynamics and interdisciplinary research within paleoclimate.
ACDC2014: "The Dynamics of the Greenland Ice sheet", Arctic Station, Disko Island, West Greenland
ACDC2013: "The Dynamics of the last Deglaciation", Nyksund, Vesterålen, northern Norway.
ACDC2012: "Landscapes and Climate", Snøheim, Dovre, Norway.
ACDC2011: "Dynamics of Past Warm Climates", Friday Harbor, Washington State, USA.
ACDC2010: "Ice-Ocean Interactions", MIT FabLab, Lyngen, northern Norway.
ACDC2009: "Understanding the basic state, variability, forcing and stability of the Ocean overturning circulation in the past, present and future", Espegrend Marine Research Station, Bergen, Norway.
- 2021. Greenland climate simulations show high Eemian surface melt which could explain reduced total air content in ice cores. Climate of the Past. 317-330.
- 2021. Cancellation of the precessional cycle in δ18O records during the Early Pleistocene . Geophysical Research Letters.
- 2021. A multi-model CMIP6-PMIP4 study of Arctic sea ice at 127 ka: sea ice data compilation and model differences. Climate of the Past.
- 2020. Topological Constraints by the Greenland–Scotland Ridge on AMOC and Climate. Journal of Climate.
- 2020. The role of subglacial hydrology in ice streams with elevated geothermal heat flux. Journal of Glaciology. 303-312.
- 2020. Rapid retreat of a Scandinavian marine outlet glacier in response to warming at the last glacial termination. Quaternary Science Reviews. 17 pages.
- 2020. Quantifying dynamical proxy potential through shared adjustment pysics in the North Atlantic. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Oceans. 22 pages.
- 2020. Present day Jakobshavn Isbræ close to the Holocene minimum extent. Quaternary Science Reviews. 15 pages.
- 2020. Lessons from a high-CO2 world: an ocean view from ∼ 3 million years ago. Climate of the Past.
- 2020. Exceptionally high heat flux needed to sustain the Northeast Greenland Ice Stream. The Cryosphere. 841-854.
- 2020. Evaluation of Arctic warming in mid-Pliocene climate simulations. Climate of the Past. 2325-2341.
- 2020. A first chronology for the East Greenland Ice-core Project (EGRIP) over the Holocene and last glacial termination. Climate of the Past. 2359-2380.
Dokken, Trond Martin; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Li, Camille; Battisti, David Stephen; Kissel, Catherine.
Dansgaard-Oeschger cycles: Interactions between ocean and sea ice intrinsic to the Nordic seas. Paleoceanography 2013 ;Volum 28.(3) s. 491-502
Zhang, Zhongshi; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Ninnemann, Ulysses S.
Increased ventilation of Antarctic deep water during the warm mid-Pliocene. Nature Communications 2013 ;Volum 4.
Bethke, Ingo; Li, Camille; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Can we use ice sheet reconstructions to constrain meltwater for deglacial simulations?. Paleoceanography 2012 ;Volum 27.
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Melting of Northern Greenland during the last interglaciation. The Cryosphere 2012 ;Volum 6.(6) s. 1239-1250
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Risebrobakken, Bjørg.
Late Eemian warming in the Nordic Seas as seen in proxy data and climate models. Paleoceanography 2011 ;Volum 26
Pausata, Francesco S. Rocco; Battisti, David Stephen; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Bitz, Cecilia M..
Chinese stalagmite δ18O controlled by changes in the Indian monsoon during a simulated Heinrich event. Nature Geoscience 2011 ;Volum 4.(7) s. 474-480.
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Braconnot, Pascale.
Sea ice induced changes in ocean circulation during the Eemian. Climate Dynamics 2010 ;Volum 35.(7-8) s. 1361-1371
Raymo, M.E.; Lisiecki, LE; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Plio-pleistocene ice volume, Antarctic climate, and the global delta O-18 record. Science 2006 ;Volum 313. s. 492-495
Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Raymo, Maureen E.; Stone, Peter H..
Reorganization of Miocene deep water circulation in response to the shoaling of the Central American Seaway. Paleoceanography 2003 ;Volum 18.(1)
Raymo, M. E.; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
The 41 kyr world: Milankovitch’s other unsolved mystery. Paleoceanography 2003 ;Volum 18.(1)
ice2ice - ERC Synergy grant on "Arctic Sea Ice and Greenland Ice Sheet Sensitivity" 2014-2019
SiU - Partnership Program with North America 2012-2016
turspor - communication the science of climate, weather and glaciology (SparebankstiftelsenDnB)
DYNAWARM - Dynamics of past warm climates
Past4Future - Climate change – Learning from the past climate
NICE - Network for Ice sheet and Climate evolution 2007-2010
ARECTREC - Arctic records of climate change - dynamics, feedbacks and processes 2007-2011