Climate dynamics, paleoclimate, and climate modelling.
Interdisciplinary research in Earth Sciences focused on understanding the dynamics of past climate change on a wide range of timescales, including tectonic, orbital and millennial, by using a hierarchy of climate and ice sheet models combined with marine and terrestrial proxy data.
For updates see blogg:
Teaching science of climate, weather and glaciology in the field to school children and the general public:
A few media highlights:
Causes of Climate Change
Online course offereded through Future Learn first offerede 21st of September 2015
Advanced Climate Dynamics Courses
A yearly summer school offered to advanced PhD candidates and early career scientists focusing on current topics relating to climate dynamics and interdisciplinary research within paleoclimate.
ACDC2014: "The Dynamics of the Greenland Ice sheet", Arctic Station, Disko Island, West Greenland
ACDC2013: "The Dynamics of the last Deglaciation", Nyksund, Vesterålen, northern Norway.
ACDC2012: "Landscapes and Climate", Snøheim, Dovre, Norway.
ACDC2011: "Dynamics of Past Warm Climates", Friday Harbor, Washington State, USA.
ACDC2010: "Ice-Ocean Interactions", MIT FabLab, Lyngen, northern Norway.
ACDC2009: "Understanding the basic state, variability, forcing and stability of the Ocean overturning circulation in the past, present and future", Espegrend Marine Research Station, Bergen, Norway.
- 2019. Equilibrium simulations of Marine Isotope Stage 3 climate. Climate of the Past. 15: 1133-1151. doi: 10.5194/cp-15-1133-2019
- 2019. Eemian Greenland ice sheet simulated with a higher-order model shows strong sensitivity to surface mass balance forcing. The Cryosphere. 13: 2133-2148. doi: 10.5194/tc-13-2133-2019
- 2019. Consistent fluctuations in intermediate water temperature off the coast of Greenland and Norway during Dansgaard-Oeschger events. Quaternary Science Reviews. 223. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2019.105887
- 2018. Large changes in sea ice triggered by small changes in Atlantic water temperature. Journal of Climate. 31: 4847-4863. doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0802.1
- 2018. Eemian Greenland SMB strongly sensitive to model choice. Climate of the Past. 14: 1463-1485. doi: 10.5194/cp-14-1463-2018
- 2018. Simulated retreat of Jakobshavn Isbræ since the Little Ice Age controlled by geometry. The Cryosphere. 12: 2249-2266. doi: 10.5194/tc-12-2249-2018
- 2018. Atmosphere-driven ice sheet mass loss paced by topography: Insights from modelling the south-western Scandinavian Ice Sheet. Quaternary Science Reviews. 195: 32-47. doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2018.07.004
- 2018. Impact of fjord geometry on grounding line stability. Frontiers in Earth Science. 6. 16 pages. doi: 10.3389/feart.2018.00071
- 2017. The PMIP4 contribution to CMIP6 - Part 4: Scientific objectives and experimental design of the PMIP4-CMIP6 Last Glacial Maximum experiments and PMIP4 sensitivity experiments. Geoscientific Model Development. 10: 4035-4055. doi: 10.5194/gmd-10-4035-2017
- 2017. Simulating the evolution of Hardangerjøkulen ice cap in southern Norway since the mid-Holocene and its sensitivity to climate change. The Cryosphere. 11: 281-302. doi: 10.5194/tc-11-281-2017
- 2016. The interaction between sea ice and salinity-dominated ocean circulation: implications for halocline stability and rapid changes of sea ice cover. Climate Dynamics. 47: 3301-3317. doi: 10.1007/s00382-016-3027-5
- 2016. Moderate Greenland ice sheet melt during the last interglacial constrained by present-day observations and paleo ice core reconstructions. The Cryosphere Discussions. doi: 10.5194/tc-2016-15
- 2016. Simulating asymmetric growth and retreat of Hardangerjøkulen ice cap in southern Norway since the mid-Holocene. The Cryosphere Discussions. doi: 10.5194/tc-2016-62
- 2015. The greening of Arabia: Multiple opportunities for human occupation of the Arabian Peninsula during the Late Pleistocene inferred from an ensemble of climate model simulations. Quaternary International. 382: 181-199. doi: 10.1016/j.quaint.2015.01.006
- 2015. Het klode – gammelt nytt. Dagens næringsliv. 27-27. Published 2015-02-28.
- 2015. Multiple causes of the Younger Dryas cold period. Nature Geoscience. 8: 946-949. doi: 10.1038/ngeo2557
- 2014. Simulating last interglacial climate with NorESM: role of insolation and greenhouse gases in the timing of peak warmth. Climate of the Past. 10: 1305-1318. doi: 10.5194/cp-10-1305-2014
- 2014. Arven fra polene. Dagens næringsliv. 46-46. Published 2014-11-13.
- 2014. Det svake punkt. Dagens næringsliv. 1 pages. Published 2014-05-24.
- 2014. Om ris og is. Dagens næringsliv. Published 2014-01-04.
- 2014. Verdens (hittil) raskeste klimaendringer. Aftenposten Innsikt. 8: 88-89. Published 2014-09-01.
- 2013. Dansgaard-Oeschger cycles: Interactions between ocean and sea ice intrinsic to the Nordic seas. Paleoceanography. 28: 491-502. doi: 10.1002/palo.20042
- 2013. Sea surface temperature of the mid-piacenzian ocean: a data-model comparison. Scientific Reports. 3. 8 pages. doi: 10.1038/srep02013
- 2013. A multi-model assessment of last interglacial temperatures. Climate of the Past. 9: 699-717. doi: 10.5194/cp-9-699-2013
- 2013. Mid-pliocene Atlantic meridional overturning circulation not unlike modern. Climate of the Past. 9: 1495-1504. doi: 10.5194/cp-9-1495-2013
- 2013. Increased ventilation of Antarctic deep water during the warm mid-Pliocene. Nature Communications. 4. 6 pages. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2521
- 2012. Can we use ice sheet reconstructions to constrain meltwater for deglacial simulations? Paleoceanography. 27. 17 pages. doi: 10.1029/2011PA002258
- 2012. Melting of Northern Greenland during the last interglaciation. The Cryosphere. 6: 1239-1250. doi: 10.5194/tc-6-1239-2012
- 2012. Changes in equatorial Pacific thermocline depth in response to Panamanian seaway closure: Insights from a multi-model study. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 317: 76-84. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2011.11.028
- 2012. Pre-industrial and mid-Pliocene simulations with NorESM-L. Geoscientific Model Development. 5: 523-533. doi: 10.5194/gmd-5-523-2012
- 2011. Melting of Northern Greenland during the last inerglacial. The Cryosphere Discussions. 5: 3517-3539. doi: 10.5194/tcd-5-3517-2011
- 2011. Late Eemian warming in the Nordic Seas as seen in proxy data and climate models. Paleoceanography. 26. 10 pages. doi: 10.1029/2010PA002027
- 2011. Chinese stalagmite δ18O controlled by changes in the Indian monsoon during a simulated Heinrich event. Nature Geoscience. 4: 474-480. doi: 10.1038/ngeo1169
- 2011. The key role of topography in altering North Atlantic atmospheric circulation during the last glacial period. Climate of the Past. 7. doi: 10.5194/cp-7-1089-2011
- 2011. Tropical seaways played a more important role than high latitude seaways in Cenozoic cooling. Climate of the Past. 7: 801-813. doi: 10.5194/cp-7-801-2011
- 2009. Changes in atmospheric variability in a glacial climate and the impacts on proxy data: a model intercomparison. Climate of the Past. 5: 489-502.
- 2008. The early to mid-Holocene thermal optimum in the North Atlantic. Chapter 5, pages 123-137. In:
- 2008. Natural Climate Variability and Global Warming: a Holocene Perspective. Blackwell Publishing. 276 pages. ISBN: 978-1-4051-5905-0.
- 2006. På sporet av en tapt istid. Cicerone. 6. 27-29.
- 2006. Plio-pleistocene ice volume, Antarctic climate, and the global delta O-18 record. Science. 313: 492-495.
- 2004. Palaeoclimatology - Fresh angle on the polar seesaw. Nature. 430: 842-843. doi: 10.1038/430842a
Dokken, Trond Martin; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Li, Camille; Battisti, David Stephen; Kissel, Catherine.
Dansgaard-Oeschger cycles: Interactions between ocean and sea ice intrinsic to the Nordic seas. Paleoceanography 2013 ;Volum 28.(3) s. 491-502
Zhang, Zhongshi; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Ninnemann, Ulysses S.
Increased ventilation of Antarctic deep water during the warm mid-Pliocene. Nature Communications 2013 ;Volum 4.
Bethke, Ingo; Li, Camille; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Can we use ice sheet reconstructions to constrain meltwater for deglacial simulations?. Paleoceanography 2012 ;Volum 27.
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Melting of Northern Greenland during the last interglaciation. The Cryosphere 2012 ;Volum 6.(6) s. 1239-1250
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Risebrobakken, Bjørg.
Late Eemian warming in the Nordic Seas as seen in proxy data and climate models. Paleoceanography 2011 ;Volum 26
Pausata, Francesco S. Rocco; Battisti, David Stephen; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Bitz, Cecilia M..
Chinese stalagmite δ18O controlled by changes in the Indian monsoon during a simulated Heinrich event. Nature Geoscience 2011 ;Volum 4.(7) s. 474-480.
Born, Andreas; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Braconnot, Pascale.
Sea ice induced changes in ocean circulation during the Eemian. Climate Dynamics 2010 ;Volum 35.(7-8) s. 1361-1371
Raymo, M.E.; Lisiecki, LE; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
Plio-pleistocene ice volume, Antarctic climate, and the global delta O-18 record. Science 2006 ;Volum 313. s. 492-495
Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes; Raymo, Maureen E.; Stone, Peter H..
Reorganization of Miocene deep water circulation in response to the shoaling of the Central American Seaway. Paleoceanography 2003 ;Volum 18.(1)
Raymo, M. E.; Nisancioglu, Kerim Hestnes.
The 41 kyr world: Milankovitch’s other unsolved mystery. Paleoceanography 2003 ;Volum 18.(1)
ice2ice - ERC Synergy grant on "Arctic Sea Ice and Greenland Ice Sheet Sensitivity" 2014-2019
SiU - Partnership Program with North America 2012-2016
turspor - communication the science of climate, weather and glaciology (SparebankstiftelsenDnB)
DYNAWARM - Dynamics of past warm climates
Past4Future - Climate change – Learning from the past climate
NICE - Network for Ice sheet and Climate evolution 2007-2010
ARECTREC - Arctic records of climate change - dynamics, feedbacks and processes 2007-2011