Kimberly Marie Skjelde
- Phone+47 55 58 22 77
- Visitor AddressSydnesplassen 7HF-bygget5007 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 Bergen
My research interests are connected to English didactics and, more specifically, teacher education and classroom teaching practices. I am currently researching Norwegian-speaking students' knowledge, conception, and use of academic English vocabulary. Students in Norway are often proficient in conversational English. However, there are signs that many lack the knowledge of academic vocabulary needed for academic discourse. Therefore, I have investigated written receptive knowledge of academic vocabulary among upper secondary and tertiary students (see Skjelde & Coxhead, 2020). I have also examined tertiary students' conceptualization of academic vocabulary to provide insight into how we can best help support their acquisition of this lexis. Another central part of my research has been examining students' knowledge and use of Graeco-Latin cognates that are abundant in academic English (Skjelde, 2022).
- (2022). Exploring L2 English students' knowledge and conceptions of academic vocabulary. Acta Didactica Norden (ADNO). 33 pages.
- (2020). Mind the gap: Academic vocabulary knowledge as a predictor of English grades. Acta Didactica Norden (ADNO). 20 pages.
- (2022). Elevaktivitet.
- (2022). Academic language in L2 English classrooms.
- (2019). Academic Vocabulary in English: An examination of cognate translations.
- (2017). Implicit Acquisition of General Acedemic Vocabulary?
- (2016). Understanding Vocabulary Demands in Factual Textbook Texts.
More information in national current research information system (CRIStin)
The research conducted for my PhD dissertation explores upper secondary and tertiary students' knowledge, conception and use of academic vocabulary in English.
Main supervisor for Aurora Bergane (2023), Lisbeth Væhle Balchen (2023), Runa Stenseide (2022), Per Olsen (2022), Anna Krumsvik (2020), Kåre Vignes (2020), Malin Sandsmark (2019), Simen Mæland Tøllefsen (2019)