My research focuses on climate dynamics, e.g., ocean-atmosphere interaction, stratosphere-troposphere interactions, storm track dynamics, wave-mean flow interactions, (regional) climate variability and change, as well as their impacts and potential for long-term predicability. My research interests also include asymptotic methods, model hierarchies, teleconnection patterns, interdisciplinary studies, and communicating climate change.
- (2022). Recent Hadley Circulation Strengthening: A Trend or Multidecadal Variability? Journal of Climate. 4157-4176.
- (2022). Metrics of the Hadley circulation strength and associated circulation trends. Weather and Climate Dynamics (WCD). 625-644.
- (2022). Coupled stratosphere-troposphere-Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its importance for near-future climate projection. npj Climate and Atmospheric Science. 59-59.
- (2022). Coupled stratosphere-troposphere Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its importance for near-future climate projection.
- (2021). Downstream Suppression of Baroclinic Waves. Journal of Climate.
- (2020). Tropopause-level planetary wave source and its role in two-way troposphere–stratosphere coupling. Weather and Climate Dynamics (WCD).
- (2020). Multiscale extratropical barotropic variability on the subseasonal‐to‐seasonal time‐scale. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- (2020). Air Pollution and Climate Change: Sustainability, Restoration, and Ethical Implications. . In:
- (2020). Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology Series: Air Pollution Sources, Statistics and Health Effects.
- (2018). On the Coupling between Barotropic and Baroclinic Modes of Extratropical Atmospheric Variability. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences.
- (2018). A Multiscale Asymptotic Theory of Extratropical Wave–Mean Flow Interaction. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences.
- [SLO] Slameršak, A., Ž. Zaplotnik, L. Boljka, N. Črnivec, 2020: Suggestions for a political programme for a "green" transition (towards sustainability) and a minimisation of climate change impacts. 4 pp.
- [SLO] Boljka, L., Ž. Zaplotnik, A. Slameršak, N. Črnivec, 2020: Comments and suggestions on the draft of the Slovenian long-term climate change strategy. A letter to the Slovenian Ministry for the Environment, 2 pp.
- [SLO] Gams, M., N. Črnivec, L. Globevnik, S. Pejovnik, Ž. Zaplotnik, A. Zidanšek (eds.), 2020: White paper on environment protection. Inštitut Jožef Stefan, Ljubljana, 160 pp. [Authors: L. Boljka, and others]
- [SLO] Zaplotnik, Ž., L. Boljka, N. Črnivec, and A. Slameršak, 2019: A request by the Slovenian researchers to take immediate action on improving the climate change mitigation and adaptation policy. An open letter to the Slovenian government, 13 pp.
- [ENG] Boljka, L., 2018: Baroclinic and Barotropic Aspects of Wave-Mean Flow Interaction. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Reading, 212 pp.
- [SLO] Dolinar, M., G. Vertačnik, R. Bertalanič, D. Dvoršek, M. Nadbath, D. Gartner, M. Klančar, L. Boljka, M. Lanjšček, and D. Kolarič, 2014: Climate Change in Slovenia. Governmental report, 18 pp.
- [ENG] Boljka, L., 2013: Identifying Slow Modes of Variability Using Wave Activity Theory. M.Sc. Dissertation, University of Reading, 77 pp.
2020-present: Researcher, University of Bergen
2018-2020: Postdoctoral Fellow, Colorado State University
2014-2018: Ph.D. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading
2013-2014: Climatologist, Slovenian Environment Agency
2012-2013: M.Sc. in Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate, University of Reading
2009-2012: B.Sc. in Meteorology with Geophysics, University of Ljubljana