In general, I like to take an interdisciplinary approach in order to tackle geoscientific questions by combining the observations from various methods. My research interests cover a broad span, including:
- Temporal and spatial evolution of mountain belts
- Interactions between tectonics and earth surface processes
- Effects of glacial erosion on mountain belts
- Deformation mechanisms in mountain belts
- Formation of rift systems
So far, my work was centered in orogenic settings and I investigated the exhumation history of the Olympic Mountains (USA). For this I've applied methods like thermochronologic dating or thermo-kinematic modeling and also worked with GPS datasets.
In Bergen I'm part of the COLORS project and will focus on the interactions of tectonic and earth surface processes in continental rift settings. For this, I perform 2D/3D thermo-mechanical models, using a coupled earth surface processes and tectonic model. The model outcomes will be compared to natural examples of rifting, like e.g. Lake Albert in the East African Rift system.
- (2022). Links Between Faulting, Topography, and Sediment Production During Continental Rifting: Insights From Coupled Surface Process, Thermomechanical Modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Solid Earth.
Michel, L., Glotzbach, C., Falkowski, S., Adams, B., Ehlers,T., 2019. How steady are steady-state mountain belts? A reexamination of the Olympic Mountains (Washington state, USA). Earth Surface Dynamics, 7, 275 - 299. DOI: 10.5194/esurf-7-275-2019
Michel, L., Ehlers, T., Glotzbach, C., Adams, B., Stübner, K., 2018. Tectonic and glacial contributions to focused exhumation in the Olympic Mountains, Washington, USA. Geology, 46(6), 491- 494. DOI: 10.1130/G39881.1
Michel, L., Wenzel, T., Markl, G., 2017. Interaction between two contrasting magmas in the Albtal pluton (Schwarzwald, SW Germany): textural and mineral-chemical evidence. International Journal of Earth Sciene, 106(5), 1505 - 1524. DOI: 10.1007/s00531-016-1363-7
- 2019, PhD: University of Tübingen (Germany)
- 2014, MSc.: University of Tübingen (Germany)
- 2012, BSc.: Technische Universität München & Ludwig Maximilians Universität (Germany)