Research Advisor and Project Manager (2018- )
Scientific Project Manager (2014 - 2018 )
Daily management of nationally (NFR) and internationally (EU, Nordforsk) funded scientific research projects. This includes:
- managing collaboration and communication within the consortia, among the partners and the different project decision and steering bodies;
- coordinating arbitration of any cultural diversity and IPR issues;
- supervising the progress and completion of each partner’s tasks in order to achieve the project objectives in the most efficient way, on time, and with high quality deliverables and foreground (including proof-reading of delivered material and report-writing);
- co-administrating the financial contribution regarding its allocation between partners and project activities, in accordance with the contract agreements and any necessary adaptive measure occuring during the project lifetime (coordination and strategy);
- managing external cooperation (with scientific researchers, stakeholders, policy makers, ) so as to make best use of project funds and enhance scientific quality and output;
- public outreach for the projects and setting-up and maintenance of websites;
- reporting to, and providing an interface with, the funding agencies;
- organising and managing, in a international setting, researcher exchanges, workshops, project meetings, scientific conferences, ...
More recent experience includes:
identifying relevant funding sources and assisting in proposal preparation process, including proof-reading of proposals and drafting budgets.
"From 2DE to protein identification by mass spectrometry", July 6th-8th, 2011, hosted by CCMAR, University of Algarve, Portugal. 3-days proteomics course covering theory and hands-on practice of gel-based approach to proteomics, from sample preparation to database analysis. Courses that I co-lectured: Hands-on practice – Image acquisition of gels and Protein Spot picking; Databases on Proteomics.
Private tuition to A Level students for preparation for Biology and Physics exams (Cambridge International AS), March-June 2005, Portugal (tuition in English for international students)
Volunteer work as Catechism teacher to Year 1 and Year 2 children (groups of 15-20 6 and 7 year olds), September 2009 - June 2011, at Centro Paroquial de Loulé, Portugal
- 2012. Impact of dietary protein hydrolysates on skeleton quality and proteome in Diplodus sargus larvae. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 477-487.
- 2012. Dietary lysine imbalance affects muscle proteome in zebrafish (Danio rerio): a comparative 2D-DIGE study. Marine Biotechnology. 643-654.
Mahaut de Vareilles (2013) Dietary Nitrogen Utilisation and Protein Expression in Fish. Universidade do Algarve. Thesis for a doctoral degree (PhD) in Nutrition in Aquaculture within Earth, Marine and Environment Sciences. Supervised by Dr. Luis E. Conceição (Sparos LDA), Prof. Ivar Rønnestad (University of Bergen) and Prof. Pedro LM Rodrigues (University of Algarve). https://sapientia.ualg.pt/bitstream/10400.1/6682/1/PhD%20THESIS%20de%20V...
Cordeiro OD, Silva TS, Alves RN, Costas B, Wulff T, Richard N, de Vareilles M, Conceição LE, Rodrigues PM. (2012) Changes in liver proteome expression of Senegalese sole (Solea senegalensis) in response to repeated handling stress. Marine Biotechnology 14(6): 714-29. DOI: 10.1007/s10126-012-9437-4
Inês Guerreiro, Mahaut de Vareilles, Pedro Pousão-Ferreira, Vera Rodrigues, Maria Teresa Dinis, Laura Ribeiro (2010) Effect of age-at-weaning on digestive capacity of white seabream (Diplodus sargus). Aquaculture 300 (1–4): 194–205. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2009.11.019
Ricardo N. Alves, Odete Cordeiro, Tomé S. Silva, Nadège Richard, Mahaut de Vareilles, Giovanna Marino, Patrizia Di Marco, Pedro M. Rodrigues, Luís E.C. Conceição (2010) Metabolic molecular indicators of chronic stress in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) using comparative proteomics. Aquaculture 299 (1-4): 57-66. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2009.11.014
Mahaut de Vareilles (2008) Studies on the surface distribution of Dinoflagelate Cysts in the Guadiana River for paleoclimatic purposes. University of Algarve. Masters dissertation in Marine Biology and Fisheries. Supervised by Prof. Thomas Boski (University of Algarve), Dr. Cristina Veiga-Pires (University of Algarve) and Dr. Anne de Vernal (UQÀM, Canada)
- EU FP7 project PREFACE - Enhancing prediction of Tropical Atlantic climate and its impacts. www.preface-project.eu Scientific and Administrative Project Manager
- NordForsk project GREENICE - Impacts of sea-ice and snow cover changes on climate, green growth and society. www.greenice.no Scientific and Administrative Project Manager
- NFR (NorKlima) project EPOCASA - Enhancing seasonal-to-decadal prediction of climate for the North Atlantic sector and Arctic. www.epocasa.no Scientific and Administrative Project Manager