- Phone+47 55 58 37 08
- Visitor AddressAllégaten 70BergenRoom306
- Postal AddressPostboks 78035020 Bergen
Research Advisor and Project Manager (2018- )
As research advisor, my task is to support the researchers at the Geophysical Institute and Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research in attracting research funding, both from Norwegian and international sources. This includes keeping up to date on relevant funding opportunities, giving courses in proposal writing, providing advice and proof-reading on individual applications, and providing advice on career development plans to young researchers.
As project manager, I am mainly in charge of the daily administration of the Bjerknes Climate Prediction Unit, which receives funding by the Trond Mohn Foundation (https://bcpu.w.uib.no/). I also assist in other projects on a punctual basis (detailed description of types of tasks below).
Research Project Manager (2014 - 2018 )
Daily management of nationally (NFR) and internationally (EU, Nordforsk) funded scientific research projects. This includes:
- managing collaboration and communication within the consortia, among the partners and the different project decision and steering bodies;
- coordinating arbitration of any cultural diversity and IPR issues;
- supervising the progress and completion of each partner’s tasks in order to achieve the project objectives in the most efficient way, on time, and with high quality deliverables and foreground (including proof-reading of delivered material and report-writing);
- co-administrating the financial contribution regarding its allocation between partners and project activities, in accordance with the contract agreements and any necessary adaptive measure occuring during the project lifetime (coordination and strategy);
- managing external cooperation (with scientific researchers, stakeholders, policy makers, ) so as to make best use of project funds and enhance scientific quality and output;
- public outreach for the projects and setting-up, and maintaining, websites;
- reporting to, and providing an interface with, the funding agencies;
- organising and managing, in a international setting, researcher exchanges, workshops, project meetings, scientific conferences, ...
• de Vareilles, M.. Project management of collaborative research projects: From grant application to implementation (focus on coordinating EU H2020 RIA)”. Invited talk to NARMA Spring Conference 2019, 5-6th March 2019 Lillestrøm
• de Vareilles M, Conceição LEC, Gόmez-Requeni P, Kousoulaki K, Rodrigues PR, Richard N, Fladmark KE, Cordeiro O, Silva TS, Rønnestad I (2011) Growth and skeletal muscle proteome of juvenile zebrafish are affected by low dietary lysine. 2nd International Symposium Genomics in Aquaculture, 14th-17th September 2011, Heraklion, Crete. (oral)
• Richard N, Cordeiro OD, Silva TS, de Vareilles M, Costas B, Aragao C, Wulff T, Rodrigues PM, Conceição LEC (2011) How does an increased availability in dietary indispensable amino acids affect liver proteome expression of Senegalese sole exposed to handling stress. 2nd International Symposium Genomics in Aquaculture, 14th-17th September, Heraklion, Crete. (oral)
• de Vareilles M, Conceição LEC, Gόmez-Requeni P, Kousoulaki K, Rodrigues PM*, Richard N, Fladmark KE, Cordeiro O, Silva TS, Rønnestad (2011) The muscle proteome of growing zebrafish is affected by dietary lysine. 12th International Congress on Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins, 1st-5th August, Beijing, China. (poster)
• Cavaco SF, Viegas CB, Cordeiro OD, de Vareilles M, Silva TS, Palma PF, Simes DC (2011) Identification and characterization of GRP in articular cartilage and synovial fluid using a proteomic-based approach. 3rd Joint Meeting of the European Calcified Tissue Society and the International Bone and Mineral Society, 7-11th May, Athens, Greece. (poster)
• Cordeiro OD, Silva TS, Alves RN, Costas B, Wulff T, Richard N, de Vareilles M, Conceição LEC, Rodrigues PM (2010) Changes in the liver proteome of Senegalese sole in response to repeated handling stress: the unfolded protein response. 4th EuPA Meeting/6th ProCura Meeting, 23rd-27th October, Estoril, Portugal. (poster)
• de Vareilles M, Gόmez-Requeni P, Kousoulaki K, Richard N, Cordeiro O, Silva TS, Rodrigues PM, Conceição LEC, Rønnestad I (2010) Growth and muscle proteome response to a dietary lysine unbalance in zebrafish juveniles. Aquaculture Europe, 5th-8th October, Porto, Portugal. (poster)
• Richard N, Cordeiro OD, Silva TS, de Vareilles M, Alves RN, Costas B, Wulff T, Rodrigues PM, Conceição LEC (2010) Effects of amino acid supplementation on liver proteome of Senegalese sole juveniles exposed to handling stress. Aquaculture Europe 2010, 5th-8th October, Porto, Portugal. (poster)
• Conceição LEC, Cordeiro OD, Alves RN, Silva TS, Richard N, de Vareilles M, Rodrigues PM (2010) Proteome expression as a tool to identify stress indicators in farmed fish. 9th International congress on the Biology of Fish, 5th-9th July, Barcelona, Spain. (oral)
• de Vareilles M, Gomèz-Requeni P, Kousoulaki K, Cordeiro O, Silva TS, Richard N, Conceição LEC, Rodrigues PM, Rønnestad I (2010) Growth and muscle proteome response to fish protein hydrolysates in the diet of zebrafish. XIV International Symposium on Fish Nutrition and Feeding, 31st May-4th June, Qingdao, China. (poster)
• Richard N, de Vareilles M, Gavaia PJ, Silva TS, Cordeiro OD, Yufera M, Rodrigues PM, Conceiçã LEC (2010) Inclusion of protein hydrolysates in the diet of white seabream (Diplodus sargus) larvae: impacts on skeleton quality and larvae proteome expression. XIV International Symposium on Fish Nutrition and Feeding, 31st May-4th June, Qingdao, China. (best poster award)
• de Vareilles M (2009) Dietary nitrogen utilisation and protein expression in fish. Presented at the Seminário Mar e Ambiente, 8th May, Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal. (poster)
Bjerknes Proposal Writing Class (2019 - present)
Yearly writing class for inexperienced applicants targetting mainly the Norwegian Research Council Researcher Project calls (information about the class). In this class, I am responsible for lecturing on "Impact", in addition to providing guidance and proof-reading from start to finish of individual applications. I co-lecture with research advisors from GFI and Geo at UiB,NORCE and NERSC.
CHESS 2-day workshop on "From idea to project: Writing successful project proposals" (2019 - present)
Yearly. Whereas the Bjerknes Proposal Writing Class (above) focuses on an assisted full proposal development towards a concrete deadline, this workshop targets inexperienced applicants who are interested in general proposal writing training but are not yet ready to develop a full proposal. This workshops helps to fine-tune research ideas and fosters actual proposals to open calls. I co-host and lecture with Friederike Hoffmann (Research Coordinator at GFI, UiB) and Nadine Goris (Research Coordinator at NORCE).
GEOF301 Masters Class on "Writing a sales pitch - Presenting your own idea" (2020 - present)
Yearly class. Together with Friederike Hoffmann, we teach Master students on how to efficiently present their research ideas, a skill that will be useful both for winning support for research projects and for finding a job.
Punctual teaching assignments
- December 2019: Half-day UiB OPP2 session on arranging proposal writing classes, for research managers. Co-lecture with Friederike Hoffmann (Research Coordinator at GFI, UiB). UiB Opp is a series of courses for competence development for research support.
- July 2011: As a PhD student, I co-lectured a 3-days course on "From 2-Dimensional gel Electrophoresis to protein identification by mass spectrometry", hosted by CCMAR, University of Algarve, Portugal. This proteomics course covered theory and hands-on practice of gel-based approach to proteomics, from sample preparation to database analysis. I co-lectured: Hands-on practice – Image acquisition of gels and Protein Spot picking; Databases on Proteomics.
- 2005-2007: Private tuition to three A-Level students for preparation for Biology and/or Physics exams (Cambridge International AS) (tuition in English for international students)
- (2022). “Writing successful project proposal” workshop report.
- (2021). “From idea to project: Writing successful project proposals” workshop report.
- (2012). Impact of dietary protein hydrolysates on skeleton quality and proteome in Diplodus sargus larvae. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 477-487.
- (2012). Dietary lysine imbalance affects muscle proteome in zebrafish (Danio rerio): a comparative 2D-DIGE study. Marine Biotechnology. 643-654.
Mahaut de Vareilles (2013) Dietary Nitrogen Utilisation and Protein Expression in Fish. Universidade do Algarve. Thesis for a doctoral degree (PhD) in Nutrition in Aquaculture within Earth, Marine and Environment Sciences. Supervised by Dr. Luis E. Conceição (Sparos LDA), Prof. Ivar Rønnestad (University of Bergen) and Prof. Pedro LM Rodrigues (University of Algarve). https://sapientia.ualg.pt/bitstream/10400.1/6682/1/PhD%20THESIS%20de%20V...
Cordeiro OD, Silva TS, Alves RN, Costas B, Wulff T, Richard N, de Vareilles M, Conceição LE, Rodrigues PM. (2012) Changes in liver proteome expression of Senegalese sole (Solea senegalensis) in response to repeated handling stress. Marine Biotechnology 14(6): 714-29. DOI: 10.1007/s10126-012-9437-4
Inês Guerreiro, Mahaut de Vareilles, Pedro Pousão-Ferreira, Vera Rodrigues, Maria Teresa Dinis, Laura Ribeiro (2010) Effect of age-at-weaning on digestive capacity of white seabream (Diplodus sargus). Aquaculture 300 (1–4): 194–205. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2009.11.019
Ricardo N. Alves, Odete Cordeiro, Tomé S. Silva, Nadège Richard, Mahaut de Vareilles, Giovanna Marino, Patrizia Di Marco, Pedro M. Rodrigues, Luís E.C. Conceição (2010) Metabolic molecular indicators of chronic stress in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) using comparative proteomics. Aquaculture 299 (1-4): 57-66. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2009.11.014
Mahaut de Vareilles (2008) Studies on the surface distribution of Dinoflagelate Cysts in the Guadiana River for paleoclimatic purposes. University of Algarve. Masters dissertation in Marine Biology and Fisheries. Supervised by Prof. Thomas Boski (University of Algarve), Dr. Cristina Veiga-Pires (University of Algarve) and Dr. Anne de Vernal (UQÀM, Canada)
- TMS project Bjerknes CPU - Bjerknes Climate Prediction Unit. https://bcpu.w.uib.no/ Research Project manager. I also assist in the application for new research proposals and the management of successfully granted ones, by the Bjerknes CPU consortium.
- EU H2020 project TRIATLAS - SOUTH AND TROPICAL ATLANTIC CLIMATE-BASED MARINE ECOSYSTEM PREDICTION FOR SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT. https://triatlas.w.uib.no/ Scientific and administrative project manager, mainly during proposal and grant preparation phase.
- EU FP7 project PREFACE - Enhancing prediction of Tropical Atlantic climate and its impacts. www.preface-project.eu Scientific and Administrative Project Manager
- NordForsk project GREENICE - Impacts of sea-ice and snow cover changes on climate, green growth and society. www.greenice.no Scientific and Administrative Project Manager
- NFR (NorKlima) project EPOCASA - Enhancing seasonal-to-decadal prediction of climate for the North Atlantic sector and Arctic. www.epocasa.no Scientific and Administrative Project Manager