I am interested in the field of teaching and learning sciences. I am particularly interested in the contribution of certain teaching-learning activities, i.e., practical work or tasksr, to students' learning and understanding in the subject of chemistry. I use qualitative research methods that analyse written student work and classroom talk. The findings show what students achieve through the different activities and how the quality of the teaching can be enhanced.
A second field of interest is the education of science/chemistry teachers both, in initial teacher education and teacher professional development. The aim is to strengthen the links between theory and practice and hence, influence teaching practice by research.
I teach the following courses:
RDID100 (science and mathematics education)
KJEMDID200 (chemistry education)
Master projects are offered in the field of improving teaching and learning in chemistry and science. They should be based on practical experiences and data collected in the field.
Current master thesis
Assessment in chemistry - impact on teaching and learning
- (2021). Promoting coherent science instruction through coherent science teacher education: a model framework for program design. Journal of Science Teacher Education. 911-933.
- (2011). The team portfolio: a support and evaluation tool? Findings from a teacher professional development programme in Germany. Professional Development in Education. 18 pages.
- (2019). Final report of the PICoSTE project. .
- (2021). Utfordringer knyttet til analyse av elevinnspill i en paneldebatt på 9. trinn om klimapåvirkning av kosthold.
- (2020). Hvordan sikre faget i utforskende tverrfaglig samarbeid? .
- (2021). Students’ critical thinking – test results, classroom practices, and a new teaching framework [Symposium].
- (2021). How students solve calculation problems in chemistry.
- (2021). Affordances of a simulated panel debate for critical thinking in science.
- (2021). Affordances of a simulated debate on sustainability of food production for teaching critical thinking in science.
- (2019). Signs for understanding chemistry in laboratory reports.
- (2019). Promoting coherent science instruction through science teacher education.
- (2019). How do students use the active learning activities available to them in an introductory chemistry course?
- (2017). Why many chemistry teachers find it difficult to ask good questions.
- (2016). Identifying different functions of IRE-dialogues based on contextual characteristics.
- (2015). Textbook tasks: A way to understanding chemistry?
- (2014). What tasks in Norwegian chemistry textbooks require students to do.
- (2013). Towards common research-based standards for TPD in Europe– insights from the S-TEAM project.
- (2013). Common challenges in improving science education in different educational systems across Europe.
- (2012). Muligheter for læring gjennom bruk av eksperimenter i kjemiundervisningen.
- (2011). Teacher professional development for fostering inquiry based approaches in the classroom.
- (2011). Inquiry based learning in science and mathematics.
- (2011). A teacher professional development model for improving science and mathematics education.
- (2011). Utforskende oppgaver med tallpyramider. Tangenten - Tidsskrift for matematikkundervisning. 8-12.
- (2012). Det hjelper at læreren blir bedre i matte. Bergens Tidende.
- (2021). Integrating Cognitive Learning Strategies into Physics Instruction : Developing students’ approaches to physics and learning.
- (2018). Exploring chemistry teachers' perspectives on questioning and providing a new way of analyzing teacher questions in science classrooms.
- (2017). Making math interesting. An experimental study of interventions to encourage interest in mathematics.
- (2021). Et kritisk og konstruktivt blikk på naturfaget i norsk skole. 54 pages.
- (2014). How can professional teachers improve science and mathematics teaching? 11 pages.
- (2012). Improving Science Education through European Models of Sustainable Teacher Professional development. 19 pages.
- (2021). Hva er et godt kosthold?
- (2021). Antibiotikaresistens – Hva gjør vi med problemet? .