I am interested in the field of teaching and learning sciences in general and chemistry in particular. The focus lies on the interplay between teaching approaches (how certain content is taught) and the learning that is stimulated by these (What do students learn? Which levels of understanding do they reach?). I am especially interested in the use of everyday contexts and inquiry activities and the effects that different ways to use them has on students' competences and motivation and interest.
A second field of interest is the education of science/chemistry teachers both, in initial teacher education and teacher professional development. The aim is to strengthen the links between theory and practice and hence, influence teaching practice by research.
I teach the following courses:
RDID100 (science and mathematics education)
KJEMDID200 (chemistry education)
Master projects are offered in the field of improving teaching and learning in chemistry and science. They should be based on practical experiences and data collected in the field.
Current master thesis
Assessment in chemistry - impact on teaching and learning
- 2011. The team portfolio: a support and evaluation tool? Findings from a teacher professional development programme in Germany. Professional Development in Education. 18 pages.
- 2019. Final report of the PICoSTE project. .
- 2019. Signs for understanding chemistry in laboratory reports.
- 2019. Promoting coherent science instruction through science teacher education.
- 2019. How do students use the active learning activities available to them in an introductory chemistry course?
- 2017. Why many chemistry teachers find it difficult to ask good questions.
- 2016. Identifying different functions of IRE-dialogues based on contextual characteristics.
- 2015. Textbook tasks: A way to understanding chemistry?
- 2014. What tasks in Norwegian chemistry textbooks require students to do.
- 2013. Towards common research-based standards for TPD in Europe– insights from the S-TEAM project.
- 2013. Common challenges in improving science education in different educational systems across Europe.
- 2012. Muligheter for læring gjennom bruk av eksperimenter i kjemiundervisningen.
- 2011. Teacher professional development for fostering inquiry based approaches in the classroom.
- 2011. Inquiry based learning in science and mathematics.
- 2011. A teacher professional development model for improving science and mathematics education.
- 2011. Utforskende oppgaver med tallpyramider. Tangenten - Tidsskrift for matematikkundervisning. 8-12.
- 2012. Det hjelper at læreren blir bedre i matte. Bergens Tidende.
- 2018. Exploring chemistry teachers' perspectives on questioning and providing a new way of analyzing teacher questions in science classrooms.
- 2017. Making math interesting. An experimental study of interventions to encourage interest in mathematics.
- 2014. How can professional teachers improve science and mathematics teaching? 11 pages.
- 2012. Improving Science Education through European Models of Sustainable Teacher Professional development. 19 pages.