My main research concentrates on the various aspects of the integrated biorefinery concept and the valorisation of different biomass feedstocks towards liquid and solid bioenergy carriers as well as value-added platform chemicals. Hence, woody biomass such as SRF or forestric residues, but also agricultural or industrial residues such as straw or lignin are among the source materials which can lead to value-added products in the scope of liquid transportation fuels, phenolic building blocks or novel solid bio-fuels.
Thermochemical transformation routes such as pyrolysis, solvolysis, liquefaction, torrefaction and hydrothermal carbonisation are the core techniques elucidated to match the different biomass sources and appropriate conversion/pre-treatment strategies to form the required products effectively and efficiently.
In close cooperation with the group of Professor Tanja Barth we conduct research comparing renewable, biomass-based fuels and chemicals with conventional, fossil-based motor fuels and platform chemicals to develop compatible biogenic alternatives. Both chemistry and process development are central research fields.
Another field of interest is directed towards the assessment of sustainability. The method of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and it's applications with respect to chemistry, fuels and also other energy carriers and systems in general are currently part of my teaching.
ENERGI102: Life Cycle Assessment / Livsløpsanalyse
Studentene skal forstå hva livsløpsanalyse er og kunne bruke slik metodikk til aktuelle problemstillinger innen energifeltet. Forelesningene gir oversikt over både produkt-relatert livsløpsanalyse inkludert livsløpskostnader, miljøpåvirkning og ressursbruk, samt livsløpsanalyse som inkluderer indirekte konsekvenser med spesiell relevans for reguleringer og politikkutforming. Øvelsene inkluderer praktisk bruk av tilgjengelige datasett og programvare. Semesteroppgave vil normalt inkludere gjennomføring av livsløpsanalyse med slikt verktøy.
KJBIOREF: Biorefinery Technology and Applications
1. Basics of a biorefinery technology
2. History of biorefinery and comparison with conventional petroleum refinery
3. Classification and definition of biorefineries
4. Industrial aspects
5. Co-production of industrial platform chemicals and innovative energy carriers from biomass
6. Validation criteria of sustainability of a biorefinery
7. Selected examples
8. Consequences for wood industry in Scandinavia
9. Current development on EU-basis, research activities
- (2017). Production of monomeric phenols by formic acid assisted hydrous liquefaction of lignin. Biomass & Bioenergy. 298-309.
- (2017). Organosolv extraction of softwood combined with lignin-to-liquid-solvolysis as a semi-continuous percolation reactor. Biomass & Bioenergy. 147-155.
- (2016). The effect of solvent and input material pretreatment on product yield and composition of bio-oils from lignin solvolysis. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 208-216.
- (2012). Reactivity and reaction pathways in thermochemical treatment of selected lignin-like model compounds under hydrogen rich conditions. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 37-44.
- (2011). DEVELOPING SOLVOLYTIC CONVERSION OF LIGNIN-TO-LIQUID (LtL) FUEL COMPONENTS: OPTIMIZATION OF QUALITY AND PROCESS FACTORS. Cellulose Chemistry and Technology. 3-12.
- (2010). Glyco-SAMs by 'Dual Click': Thiourea-Bridged Glyco-OEG Azides for Cycloaddition on Surfaces. Synthesis (Stuttgart). 828-836.
- (2009). Optimizing solvolysis conditions for integrated depolymerisation and hydrodeoxygenation of lignin to produce liquid biofuel. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 108-117.
- (2008). Towards a lignincellulosic biorefinery: Direct one-step conversion of lignin to hydrogen-enriched biofuel. Energy & Fuels. 1371-1379.
- (2008). Phenols from lignin. Chemical Engineering & Technology. 736-745.
- (2008). Motor fuels from biomass pyrolysis. Chemical Engineering & Technology. 773-781.
- (2008). Chemical Structures Present in Biofuel Obtained from Lignin. Energy & Fuels. 4240-4244.
- (2008). A modular approach for the construction and modification of glyco-SAMs utilizing 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition. Organic and biomolecular chemistry. 2118-2132.
- (2004). Glyco-SAMs as Glycocalyx Mimetics: Synthesis of L-Fucose and D-Mannose-terminated Building Blocks. European Journal of Organic Chemistry. 3931-3940.
- (2003). Synthetic studies toward the disorazoles: synthesis of a masked northern half of disorazole D1 and a cyclopropane analog of the masked northern half of disorazole A1. Tetrahedron. 6967-6977.
- (2019). Recovering furfural from the aqueous waste stream in ArbacoreTM brown pellets production.
- (2013). Synergies in the utilisation of lignocellulose: Lignin valorisation for platform chemicals.
- (2015). Stirred and unstirred lignin solvolysis with formic acid in aqueous or ethanolic solvents at 5-L scale.
- (2015). Production of Phenolic Compounds by Formic Acid-Assisted Hydrous Liquefaction of Lignin.
- (2014). Theory and practice of cellulose ether production.
- (2012). Thermochemical valorisation in a wood based biorefinery.
- (2011). Reaction Pathways for Lignin Model Compounds under LtL-Conditions.
- (2011). Production of phenols and fuel components from residual lignin: A state of the art report on the LtL concept.
- (2010). The Chemistry of the Lignin to Liquid (LtL) Conversion process.
- (2010). Mechanistic Studies of the Lignin to Liquid (LtL) Conversion Process.
- (2009). Developing solvolytic conversion of lignin to liquid (LtL) fuel components: Optimisation of quality and process factors.
- (2009). Developing solvolytic conversion of lignin to liquid (LtL) fuel components: Optimisation of quality and process economical factors.
- (2009). Carbonisation of biomass using a hydrothermal approach: State-of-the-art and recent developments.
- (2008). Turning Biowaste into value-added products - The solvolytic approach.
- (2008). Facile one-step conversion of lignin into bio-fuel components.
- (2008). Determining the best reaction conditions for yields and composition of "oil" from lignin in a new solvolytic pyrolysis technique.
- (2007). Production of biofuel and phenols from lignin by hydrous pyrolysis.
- (2017). COMPARING APPROACHES FOR LIGNIN VALORISATION BY FORMIC ACID ASSISTED SOLVOLYSIS – WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION ? .
- (2011). Mass Spectrometry Approaches to Analysis of Lignocellulosic Biomass Conversion supported by modern Data Analysis.
- (2011). Comparing Hydrogen Donors for Solvolytic Lignin Hydrodeoxygenation.
- (2008). Solvolytic approach of biomass pyrolysis - The lignin-to-liquid process.
- (2008). One-step Conversion of lignin to oxygen-depleted bio-fuels and phenols.
- (2008). Novel solvolytic approach of biomass pyrolysis.