The main focus of my Ph.d project is to study molecular mechanisms and gene variants related to obesity, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This involves performing cell culture work with fat cells and liver cells from mice and humans, followed by molecular biology techniques, including purification and quantification of proteins, DNA and RNA from various cell samples, as well as follow-up analyzes such as cDNA synthesis, real-time qPCR, SDS-PAGE and Western blotting. In addition, I use a number of other methods such as transfection, Seahorse XF assay, fatty acid uptake measurements, ROS analyzes, proliferation analyzes, oil red o lipid staining and collection of cell culture medium for amino acid/metabolite quantification (GC-MS/MS).
I am part of the Hormone Laboratory Research Group (https://www.uib.no/en/rg/hormonelaboratory)
Involved in teaching of bachelor students in human nutrition
Co-supervising master students
- (2023). Metabolic role of the hepatic valine/3-hydroxyisobutyrate (3-HIB) pathway in fatty liver disease. EBioMedicine. 18 pages.
- (2021). Role of the Neutral Amino Acid Transporter Slc7a10 in Adipocyte Lipid Storage, Obesity and Insulin Resistance. Diabetes. 680-695.
- (2021). Plasma 3-hydroxyisobutyrate (3-HIB) and methylmalonic acid (MMA) are markers of hepatic mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation in male Wistar rats. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids. 10 pages.
- (2020). 3-hydroxyisobutyrate, a strong marker of insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes and obesity that modulates white and brown adipocyte metabolism. Diabetes. 1903-1916.
- (2022). Nedbrytningen av BCAAs i humane leverceller er assosiert med fettleversykdom.
- (2021). Altered hepatic HIBCH expression is associated with hepatic lipid accumulation and fatty liver.
- (2020). Low 3-hydroxyisobutyrate (3-HIB) and high methylmalonic acid (MMA) levels in plasma reflect increased hepatic fatty acid oxidation.
- (2019). Circulating 3-hydroxyisobutyrate (3-HIB) as a clinical marker of prediabetes and T2D in patients with obesity.
- (2019). A novel amino acid transporter modulating insulin resistance via adipocytes .
- (2018). Amino acid metabolism in adipocytes.
- (2022). Altered hepatic HIBCH expression is associated with hepatic lipid accumulation and fatty liver.
- (2019). Inhibition of serine transporter SLC7A10 promotes lipid accumulation through altered BCAA catabolism in adipocytes.
- (2019). Adipocyte amino acid metabolism in obesity-related metabolic diseases .
Board member in Research School in Clinical Medicine