Natural Products and Marine Bioresource Development
Monica Jordheim´s main research interests are to enhance scientific knowledge and application value of various natural products. She has previously worked with flavonoids and polyphenols from terrestrial plants and in recent years, her focus has been on natural products from the marine environment. Jordheim has over twenty years of experience in quantification and stuructural elucidation of natural products.
Because of the structural diversity, characterization of natural products requires an integrated analytical approach including optimized extraction techniques, multiple steps of chromatography, High Resolutions Mass spectrometry (HRMS) and high field NMR analysis.
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of polyphenols and pigments from marine sources (marine angiosperms, seagrasses, algae)
- Chemical analysis of marine deep-sea materials collected in Norway
- Bioprospecting and search for novel compounds
- Chemical ecology and biosystematics studies
Jordheim is the:
- Leader of one out of four larger research groups at the institute (Bioresources and Pharmaceutical Chemistry | University of Bergen (uib.no))
- Head of Education at the Department of Chemistry
Jordheim is Head of Education at the Department of Chemistry, working with educational quality and development.
B.Sc. and M.Sc.-projects:
Organic analytical projects within bioprospecting and marine bioresource development (seaweeds (harvested and farmed), seagrasses, aquatic angiosperms, deep sea materials). Severel of the projects have industrial partners.
Objectives and Content
The course addresses analysis of organic compounds using spectroscopic methods as infrared (IR), ultraviolet-visible (UV-Vis) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, as well as mass spectrometry (MS). The course concentrates on interpretation of data, and the focus will be to understand and to utilize data from NMR and MS.
- (2022). Seasonal variation of phenolic compounds in Zostera marina (Zosteraceae) from the Baltic Sea . Phytochemistry.
- (2021). Variation in Phenolic Chemistry in Zostera marina Seagrass Along Environmental Gradients. Plants. 17 pages.
- (2020). Anthocyanin profile and antioxidant property of anti-asthma flowers of cordyline terminalis (L.) Kunth (Agavaceae). Natural Product Communications. 1-7.
- (2020). Anthocyanin Profile and Antioxidant Activity of Edible Leaves of Dissotis brazzae Cogn (Melastomataceae). Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences. 139-145.
- (2019). Quantification of polyphenols in seaweeds: A case study of Ulva intestinalis. Antioxidants. 1-15.
- (2019). Auronidins are a previously unreported class of flavonoid pigments that challenges when anthocyanin biosynthesis evolved in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 20232-20239.
- (2019). Anthocyanins from mauve flowers of Erlangea tomentosa (Bothriocline longipes) based on erlangidin – The first reported natural anthocyanidin with C-ring methoxylation. Phytochemistry Letters. 225-230.
- (2018). Characterization of Polyphenolic Content in the Aquatic Plants Ruppia cirrhosa and Ruppia maritima —A Source of Nutritional Natural Products. Molecules. 1-15.
- (2017). Characterization and seasonal variation of individual flavonoids in Zostera marina and Zostera noltii from Norwegian coastal waters. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology. 42-50.
- (2016). Isolation and Identification of Flavonoids Found in Zostera marina Collected in Norwegian Coastal Waters. American Journal of Plant Sciences. 1163-1172.
- (2016). High concentrations of aromatic acylated anthocyanins found in cauline hairs in Plectranthus ciliatus. Phytochemistry. 27-34.
- (2014). Purple anthocyanin colouration on lower (abaxial) leaf surface of Hemigraphis colorata (Acanthaceae). Phytochemistry. 141-146.
- (2014). Anthocyanins and their differential accumulation in the floral and vegetative tissues of a shrub species (Rhabdothamnus solandri A. Cunn). Scientia Horticulturae. 29-35.
- (2012). New anthocyanidin and anthocyanin pigments from blue plumbago. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 1510-1515.
- (2011). Primitive anthocyanin from flowers of three hemiparasitic African mistletoes. Archives of Applied Science Research. 1-5.
- (2011). Identification of Cyanidin 3-O-β-(6″-(3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaroyl)glucoside) and Other Anthocyanins from Wild and Cultivated Blackberries. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 7436-7440.
- (2011). Anthocyanins from ornamental flowers of red frangipani, Plumeria rubra. Scientia Horticulturae. 840-843.
- (2011). Anthocyanins from Fuchsia Flowers. Natural Product Communications. 35-40.
- (2011). Anthocyanidin 3-galactosides from flowers of Abrus canescens Bak Full Text. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry. 356-360.
- (2010). Novel aspects of the flowers and floral pigmentation of two Cleome species (Cleomaceae), C. hassleriana and C. serrulata. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology. 361-369.
- (2010). Anthocyanins with unusual furanose sugar (apiose) from leaves of Synadenium grantii (Euphorbiaceae). Phytochemistry. 1558-1563.
- (2009). Acylated anthocyanins in inflorescence of spider flower (Cleome hassleriana). Phytochemistry. 740-745.
- (2008). New anthocyanins from stem bark of castor, Ricinus communis. Natural Product Communications. 1497-1500.
- (2007). Reactivity of anthocyanins and pyranoanthocyanins. Studies on aromatic hydrogen-deuterium exchange reactions in methanol. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 8261-8268.
- (2007). Molar Absorptivities and Reducing Capacity of Pyranoanthocyanins and Other Anthocyanins. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 10591-10598.
- (2007). Anthocyanins in berries of Ribes including gooseberry cultivars with a high content of acylated pigments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- (2007). Anthocyanins in berries of Ribes including gooseberry cultivars with a high content of acylated pigments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 5529-5535.
- (2007). Anthocyanins in Caprifoliaceae. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology. 153-159.
- (2006). Preparative isolation and NMR characterization of carboxypyranoanthocyanins. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 3572 -3577.
- (2006). Characterization of Hemiacetal Forms of Anthocyanidin 3-O-b-Glycopyranosides. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 9340-9346.
- (2006). Anthocyanins from flowers of Hippeastrum cultivars. Scientia Horticulturae. 262-266.
- (2021). Totalutnyttelse av marine ressurser og utvikling av norsk kompetanse – hvordan får vi dette til? Targeting High-Value Products: The Next Level .
- (2020). Tang og tare - den nye mirakelmaten? II.
- (2019). Tang og tare - den nye mirakelmaten? I.
- (2019). Analyse i marin kjemi.
- (2018). Bruk av spektroskopiske metoder i marin naturstoffkjemi.
- (2016). Organisk analyse og naturstoffkjemi - hvilke verktøy trenger vi?
- (2015). Naturstoffkjemi - skattejakt?
- (2009). Fra blåbær til medisin - fargestoffer i frukt og grønnsaker.
- (2007). Fargerik mat og helse: Hva kan vi hente ut av antocyaner og andre flavonoider?
- (2006). Blåbær er ikke bare blåbær - blåbærforskning ved kjemisk institutt.
- (2006). Antocyaner - vin og helseeffekter.
- (2020). MYCOTOXIN AND METABOLITES DETERMINATION IN NORWEGIAN FISH FEEDS USING LC-MS/MS INSTRUMENTS.
- (2014). New anthocyanin with potential beneficial nutraceutical and colorant properties isolated from Cyphostemma adenocaule.
- (2014). Anthocyanins with new anthocyanidin A-ring substitution patterns.
- (2013). Nutraceutical potential of Dissotis brazzae Cogn. (Melastomataceae) with respect to anthocyanins.
- (2013). Differences in anthocyanin content of food and natural sources correlated with differences in anthocyanin chemistry and properties.
- (2013). Anthocyanins from Pink-mauve flowers of Draceana terminalis (Asparagaceae).
- (2011). The rise and fall of anthocyanins.
- (2011). Anthocyanin sources, diversity and properties.
- (2011). Anthocyanin equilibrium forms.
- (2009). Chemistry of Anthocyanin-Based Colours in Plants.
- (2008). Hydrogen-deuterium exchange rates of various anthocyanin classes as basis for reactivity studies.
- (2008). Anthocyanins - Food Applications.
- (2007). Biological functionality of anthocyanins expressed through structure details.
- (2007). Advances in the field of anthocyanins.
- (2006). Characterization of novel flavonoid classes by NMR spectroscopy.
- (2005). The anthocyanins: A review on occurence, chemistry and properties during the last decade.
- (2005). Anthocyanins from ripe edible fruits of wild Carissa edulis.
- (2013). ISOLATION AND STRUCTURE ELUCIDATION OF ANTHOCYANIN-PIGMENTS FROM STRAWBERRY - Complete characterization of quinonoidal and hemiketal forms.
- (2003). Plantepigmenter i bær. Isolering, karakterisering og kjemotaxonomi.
- (2022). Quantification of fucoidan isolated from Laminaria hyperborea using two different colorimetric assays and qNMR method.
- (2022). Develop a multi-analyte screening method for authorized and prohibited veterinary drugs in seafood by using HPLC-HR-MS .
- (2021). Quantification of polyphenols in seaweeds,Total Phenolic Concentration assay (TPC) .
- (2021). Qualitative Analysis of Flavonoid content in Marine Plant, Lysimachia maritima .
- (2020). Method development using LC-MS/MS and LC-IMS-QTOF MS to determine mycotoxins in fish feed samples .
- (2020). Karakterisering og kvantifisering av flavonoider i den akvatiske planten vanlig Tjønnaks (Potamogeton natans) .
- (2020). Analysis of the marine sponge Pachymatisma normani.
- (2019). Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Polyphenols and Pigments in Marine Sources - Zostera marina and Cultivated Microalgae - .
- (2019). Polyphenols and Pigments in Marine Algae.
- (2018). Search for Flavonoids in Macroalgae, extraction, detection and quantification.
- (2013). Methods for purification and isolation of anthocyanins from peat moss (Sphagnum sp.) and black chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa).
- (2013). Karakterisering av plantepigmenter, med vekt på quinonoidale former av antocyaner.
- (2011). Anthocyanpigment i blodappelsin (Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck) Nye sambindingar og stabilitetsstudiar.
- (2011). Analyse av antocyaner med unike skjellett isolert fra Torvmose.
- (2021). Novel and colorful flavonoids - characterization, secondary structures and properties.
- (2018). Analysis of polyphenolic content in marine and aquatic angiosperms from Norwegian coastal waters.
- (2013). Identification of New Anthocyanins and Secondary Anthocyanidin Structures and their impact on Anthocyanin Properties.
- (2007). Isolation, identification and properties of pyranoanthocyanins and anthocyanin forms.
- (2013). Basic anthocyanin chemistry and dietary source. 78 pages.
- (2010). Chemistry of flavonoid-based colors in plants. 67 pages.
- (2006). The Anthocyanins. 81 pages.
- (2010). Anthocyanins. . In:
- (2010). Encyclopedia of Life Sciences.
- (2022). Targeting high-value products from the epiphytes of Laminaria hyperborea.
- (2020). Extraction optimization for high value products from Laminaria hyperborea.
- (2016). Analysis of Flavonoids in the Seagrass Zostera Marina L.
- (2015). Anthocyanins from Erlangea tomentosa based on erlangidin, an anthocyanidin with 3-methoxylation.
- (2013). Special anthocyanin structures behind colouration of abaxial leaves of Hemigraphis colorata.
- (2013). Diagnostic analysis of anthocyanins with new anthocyanidin A-ring substitution patterns.
- (2012). Characterization of the quinonoidal form of the anthocyanin malvidin 3-glucoside by NMR.
- (2011). Sphagnorubins from peat mosses, Sphagnum spp.
- (2011). New anthocyanins in Plectranthus ciliatus and their distribution in trichomes, internodes and leaves.
- (2011). Cyanidin 3-O-β-(6''-(3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaroyl)glucoside and other anthocyanins in blackberries and blood oranges.
- (2011). Correction of anthocyanin identity in blood orange (Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck).
- (2010). Natural anthocyanidins with dimethoxylated A-rings from Plumbago auriculata.
- (2008). Reactivity studies by NMR on anthocyanins occurring in fruits and berries.
- (2007). The impact of anthocyanin purity in antioxidant measurements.
- (2006). NMR characterization of various forms of anthocyanin 3-glucosides in deuterated methanolic solutions with and without acid.
- (2006). Characterization of 5-carboxypyranoanthocyanins.
- (2005). Nutritional aspects of anthocyanin pigments.
- (2004). Characterization of Pyranoanthocyanins.
- (2021). The under-explored chemistry of seaweeds. NBS-nytt. 14-18.
- (2016). Improving students learning process in a small class setting ‐ chemistry course in spectroscopy. UPED-skrift.
Jordheim Research Group:
- Diego Rodriguez Hernandez (SEAS, Horizon 2020 -Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 101034309)
- Marie Emilie Wekre (UiB, Alginor ASA)
- Angeliki Barouti (UiB, interdiciplinary Prof. Lars Herfindal, Alginor ASA)
- Odd-Erik Tjønneland Lauvskard
- Anders Emil Stange
- Anne Sophie Gerhardt (UiB, Ocean Forest - Lerøy)
- Miriam Donovan (UiB, Ocean Forest - Lerøy)
- Liza Mari Henden
- Sindre Wesley Petersen
- Collin Christopher Voster Danker (Alginor ASA)