- Learning and teaching
- Feedback and assessment
- Supervision/mentoring/peer learning in higher education
- Language, communication and learning
- Technology and learning
- Dialogic art education
Dysthe, O; Bernhardt, N; Esbjørn, L. (2012) Dialogbasert undervisning. Kunstmuseet som læringsrom. Oslo: Fagbokforlaget. LNUs skriftserie (189) ISBN 978-82-450-1333-7) 256 s.
Dansk utgave: København: Skoletjenesten 2012.
Dysthe, O; Bernhardt, N; Esbjørn, L. (2013) Dialoguebased Teaching. The Art Museum as a Learning Space.
Copenhagen: Skoletjenesten. Tanslation: Russel Dees. ISBN 978-87-91663-11-6
Dysthe, O; Bernhardt, N; Esbjørn, L. (2013) Enseñanza basada en el dialogo. El Museuo de Arte como Espacio de Aprendizaje. Skoletjenesten. Traduccion: Avanti Gruppen. ISBN 978-91663-12-3.
Dysthe, O. (2011) Opportunity spaces for dialogic pedagogy in test-oriented achools. A case study of teaching and learning in high school. In M. Peters & J. White (Eds.) Bakhtinian Pedagogy: Opportunities and challenges for research, policy and practice in education across the globe. Peter Lang Publisher. 69-90
Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. (2011) Portfolio practices in higher education in Norway in an international perspective: macro-, meso- and micro-level influences. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 36(1), 63-79
Dysthe, O. (2011)Museenes særlige læringspotensiale i et dialogisk og flerstemmig perspektiv.(The particular learning potential in museums in a dialogical and multivoiced perspective) Unge Pædagoger (1) p. 23-31
Dysthe, O; Lillejord, S; Wasson, B; Vines, A. (2011) Productive e-feedback in higher education - Some critical issues. In S. R. Ludvigsen, R. Säljö, I. Rasmussen & A. Lund Learning across sites: new tools, infrastructures and practices. Cambridge University Press, p. 243-258
Dysthe, O.(2011) "What is the Purpose of Feedback when Revision is not Expected?" A Case Study of Feedback Quality and Study Design in a First Year Master's Programme. Journal of Academic Writing 2011 ;Volum 1.(1) p. 126-134
Dysthe, O. (2012) Multivoiced classrooms in higher education academic writing. In M. Castelló & C. Donahue (Eds.) University writing: Selves and Texts in Academic Societes. Emerald Group Publishers.
Dysthe, O. (2012) Medborgerskap og dialogens muligheter og begrensninger. (Citizenship and the possibilites and restrictions of dialogue) MiD Magasin Nr. 26. p. 16 – 19. Museumsformidlere i Danmark.
Dysthe, O.& Lillejord, S. (2012) From Humboldt to Bologna: Using peer-feedback to foster productive writing practices among online master students. International Journal of Web Based Communities 2012; Volum 4.(8) p. 471-485
Havnes, A.; Smith, K.; Dysthe, O.; Ludvigsen, K. (2012) Formative assessment and feedback: Making learning visible. Studies in Educational Evaluation; Vol. 38. p. 21-27
Hertzberg, F. & Dysthe, O. (2012) Prosesskriving – hvor står vi I dag? In S. Matre, D. K. Sjøhelle, R. Solheim (Eds.) Teorier om tekst i møte med skolens lese- og skrivepraksiser.(Process writing-where are we today? In Theories of text meeting reading and writing practices in schools. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, p. 59-72.
Dysthe, O. (forthcoming) The art museum as a learning space – Fostering Broad Educational Goals. In D. Rugaard, L. Sattrup & S. Brovall Villumsen (Eds.) Cultural institutions & cultural citizenship, GB: Common Ground Publishing.
PUBLICATIONS IN ENGLISH 1996-2010
Articles in peer reviewed international journals and books (selection)
Dysthe, O. (1996) "The Multivoiced Classroom". Written Communication 3, Sage Publications, 57s.
Dysthe, O. (1999) Dialogue theory as a tool for understanding interactive learning processes" Literacy and Numeracy. Sidney, Australia 2/99.39-65.
Dysthe, O.(2000) The teacher’s role in the multivoiced classroom. In K. Sjøholm & A. Østern (Eds): Perspectives on language and communication in multilingual education. Faculty of Education. Åbo Academi University. 55-73.
Dysthe, O. (2002) Writing at Norwegian universities in an international perspective: From indirect strategies of strengthening writing to the Quality Reform. I G. Rijlaarsdam, L. Björk, G. Bräuer, L. Rienecker & P. Stray Jorgensen. Studies in Writing, Volume 12: Teaching Academic Writing in European Higher Education. Amsterdam: 2002 Kluwer Academic Publisher.
Dysthe, O. (2002) The learning potential of a web-mediated discussion in a university course. Studies in Higher Education, 2002, 25, 339-352.
Dysthe, O. (2002) Professors as mediators of academic text culture. An interview study with advisors and master degree students in three disciplines in a Norwegian university. Written Communication, Sage publications: 2002, 19/4, 485-536.
Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. (2004) Portfolios and assessment in teacher education in Norway: a theory-based discussion of different models in two sites. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 29 ( 2), 239-258.
Dysthe, O.; Samara, A; Westrheim, K. (2006) Multivoiced supervision of Master's students: a case study of alternative supervision practices in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 31 (3), 299-319.
Dysthe, O. (2007) How a reform affects writing in higher education. Studies in Higher Education. 32 ( 2) , 237-252.
Dysthe, O. (2007) The challenges of assessment in a new learning culture. In A. Havnes & L. McDonald: Balancing Dilemmas in Assessment and Learning in Contemporary Education. Routledge:15-32.
Dysthe, O., Engelsen, K. S., Madsen, T., & Wittek, L.: (2007) Criteria in portfolio assessment from student perspectives. The balance between explicitness and negotiation. In A. Havnes & L. McDonald: Balancing Dilemmas in Assessment and Learning in Contemporary Education. Routledge: 121-132.
Dysthe, O. & Tolo, A. (2007) Digital portfolios and feedback practices in a traditional university course. In M. Kankaanranta & P. Linnakylä (eds): Perspectives on e-Portfolios. Jyväskylä , Fi: Agora Center, University of Jyväskylä Press:107-133.
Dysthe, O. (2007) From the contested field of testing in the US: The case of the university placement exam in writing. In C. Carlsen & E. Moe (Eds) A human touch to language testing. Oslo: Novus: 157-172.
Wake, J. D., Dysthe, O., & Mjelstad, S. (2007). New and changing teacher roles in a digital age. Educational Technology & Society 10 (1), 40-51.
Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. (2008) Portfolios and assessment in teacher education in Norway, a theory-based discussion of different models in two sites. In P. Murphy & K. Hall: Learning and practice. Agency and identites. London: Sage.
Lillejord, S. & Dysthe, O.: (2008) Productive Learning Practice - A Theoretical Discussion. Journal of Education and Work, 21(1), 75-89.
Dysthe, O. (2009) What factors influence the improvement of academic writing practices? A study of reform of undergraduate writing in Norwegian higher education. In C. Bazerman, R.Krut, K.J. Lunsford, S.Null, P.M. Rogers, & A.Stansell (Eds.), Traditions of writing research. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
Vines, A. & Dysthe, O. (2009) Productive learning in the study of law:The role of technology in the learning ecology of a law faculty. L. Dirckinck-Holmfeld, C. Jones, B. Lindstrøm (Eds) Analysing networked learning practices in higher education and continuing professional development. Sense Publishers.
Dysthe, O., Lillejord, S., Vines, A., Wasson, B. (2010) Productive E-feedback in higher education – Some critical issues. S. Ludvigsen, A. Lund, I. Rasmussen & R. Säljö). Learning across sites: New tools, infrastructures and practices. Oxford, UK: Pergamon Press.
Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. (2010) Portfolio practices in higher education in Norway in an international perspective: macro-, meso- and micro-level influences. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. Accessible reprint version 02 Oct 2009
Dysthe, O. & Webler, W-D. (2010) Pedagogical issues from Humboldt to Bologna. The case of Norway and Germany. Higher Education Policy, 23, s 247-270.
Books (published in Norwegian)
Dysthe, O. (1987) Ord på nye spor. Innføring i prosessorientert skrivepedagogikk. [Introduction to process writing] Oslo: Det Norske Samlaget 173 s. New and revised edition w. Mari-Ann Igland.. Det Norske Samlaget 1993. Danish translation 2006, Århus:Klim
Dysthe, O. (1995) Det flerstemmige klasserommet.[The multivoiced classroom ] Oslo: Ad Notam/Gyldendal 1995, 246 sider. (Svensk omsetting: Det flerstämmiga klassrummet, Lund: Studentlitteratur 1996, Dansk omsetting: Det flerstemmige klasserommet, KLIM 1997)
Dysthe, O. (1996) ed. Ulike perspektiv på læring og læringsforskning. [Different perspectives on learning and research on learning] Oslo: Cappelen Akademisk forlag.
Dysthe, O., Hertzberg, F, Hoel, T. Løkensgard (2000) Skriving for å lære. Skriving i høyere utdanning. [Writing to learn. Writing in higher education] Oslo: Abstrakt forlag. Swedish translation: Studentlitteratur 2002, Danish translation: Klim 2002 .
Dysthe, O. (2001) ed. Dialog, samspel og læring. [Dialogue, interaction and learning] Oslo: Abstrakt forlag. Swedish translation: Studentlitteratur 2003, Danish translation: Klim 2003
Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. eds. (2003) Mapper som lærings- og vurderingsredskap. [Portfolis as a learning tool] Oslo: Abstrakt forlag. Swedish translation Studentlitteratur: 2004. Danish translation Klim: 2004.
Dysthe, O. & Samara, S. eds. (2006) Forskningsveiledning på master- og doktorgradsnivå. [Research supervision at master and PhD level] Oslo: Abstrakt forlag.
International Conference Presentations
- Dysthe, O. & Lillejord, S. (2009) Using feedback to foster productive writing practices among master students. Paper presented at the Higher Education Special Interest Group Invited Symposium, EARLI Conference: “Fostering communities of learners”, Amsterdam Aug. 2009.
- Havnes, A. & Dysthe, O, (2009) Assessment, feedback and the advancement of learning. A cross-country comparison of feedback practice and policy in higher education. Paper presented at the Assessment and Evaluation Special Interest Group Invited Symposium, EARLI Conference : “Fostering communities of learners”, Amsterdam Aug. 2009.
- Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K.S . (2008) Development, purposes and practices of portfolios in higher education in Norway in an international perspective. What have been shaping factors at macro, meso and micro level?. EARLI/Northumbria Assessment Conference 2008 (ENAC, Potsdam, 2008)
- Dysthe, O. (2008) Productive learning in view of two strands in dialogism: one focusing on intersubjectivity and interaction as sharing and consensus, the other on difference and controversy. Rommetveit seminaret; 2008-06-12 Høgskolen Stord Haugesund.
- Dysthe, O. (2009) “What’s the purpose of feedback when revision is not expected?” A case study of feedback practices and study design in a first year master programme .5th EATAW Conference, Coventry, GB June 30. - July 2. 2009
- Dysthe, O., Engelsen, K.S.,Sjo, A. K.,Allern, M: Variations in higher education portfolio assessment. Discussion of quality issues based on a survey in Norway across institutions and disciplines. EARLI 2007, Budapest 28 Aug -1 September.
- Samara, A. & Dysthe, O. Three Cases of Postgraduate Peer Learning Practices – Crucial Factors of Success. EARLI 2007, Budapest 28 Aug -1 September.
- Dysthe, O. Electronic feedback in higher education. Presentation at The 4th Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing.30.6- 2.7, 2007 Ruhr- Universität Bochum, Germany.
- Dysthe, O. What do(n't) we know about feedback? Symposium at 4th Conference of the European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing.30.6- 2.7, 2007 Ruhr- Universität Bochum, Germany
- Dysthe, O.: Dialogic postgraduate supervision – characteristics, constraints and affordances. ”Perspectives and Limits of Dialogism in Mikhail Bakhtin: Applications in Psychology, Art, Education and Culture” The University of Crete, Rhetymnion, 25.-27. May 2007.
- Dysthe, O. & Hertzberg, F. Kunnskap om skriving i utdanning og yrkesliv – hvor står vi i dag? Skrive for nåtid og framtid. Skrivekonferanse. Trondheim, NTNU, 9. - 10. oktober 2006.
- Dysthe, O., Engelsen, K.S. & Lima, I.: Variations in HE portfolio assessment. Discussions of quality issues based on a Norwegian survey in four institutions. PP- presentation at ASSESSMENT 2006, Third Biennial Joint Northumbria/EARLI SIG Assessment Conference. Redworth Hall, Durham county Aug. 30th- Sept. 1st 2006. (ppt)
- Dysthe, O.: The challenges of assessment in a new learning culture. NERA/NFPF Conference in Reykjavik, Iceland 2004
- Dysthe, O.: Mappemetodikk og IKT. [Portfolio pedagogy and ICT] PP-presentation at ITU Conference: Digital dannelse, Oslo, Norway, Sept. 2003.
- Dysthe, O. & Tolo, A.: Digital portfolios and feedback practices in a traditional university course. Paper presented at EARLI 10th Biennial Conference, Padova, Italy, Aug. 26.-30, 2003. (ppt)
- Dysthe, O. & Westrheim, K. The power of the group in graduate student supervision. Paper presented at EARLI 10th Biennial Conference, Padova, Italy, Aug. 26.-30, 2003.
- Dysthe, O. & Engelsen, K. S. Digital portfolios as a learning tool in teacher education in Norway. Paper at EARLI/Northumbria Assessment 2002, Learning Communities and Assessment Cultures, Newcastle, 28.-30. August 2002. (The final version of the paper published in Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 2004).
- Dysthe, O: Theoretical background for portfolios as learning and assessment tools in teacher education. Paper at NERA/NFPF Conference, Tallin, 7- 9. 3, 2002
- Dysthe, O. The asynchronous webmediated discussion as a learning genre. Paper presented at Genres and Discourses in Education, Work and Cultural Life. Oslo University College, May 2001
- Dysthe, O.:The mutual challenge of writing research and the teaching of writing. EATAW: The European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing& EWCA: The European Writing Centre Association. University of Groeningen, Nederland, 2001
- Dysthe, O. A high school teachers' use of writing and talking to learn. Writing 2000. Biennial Conference of EARLI sig Writing. University of Verona, Italy, 6. - 9. Sept. 2000