- Interaction in online courses
- Use of video in instruction
- Blended learning
- Race, privilege, and social justice
- R. M. Gray. (2019). Meaningful interaction: Toward a new theoretical approach to online instruction instruction, Technology, Pedagogy and Education, DOI: 10.1080/1475939X.2019.1635519
- A. Gulati, T. Schwarzlmüller, E. du Plessis, E. Søfteland, R. Gray Jr., ann M Biermann. (2019). Evaluation of a new e-learning frameworkfor teaching nuclear medicine and radiology to undergraduate medical students. Acta Radiologica Open 8(7) 1–6.
- T. Haslerud, A. J. Tulipan, R. M. Gray, and M. Biermann. (2017). E-learning for medical imaging specialists: introducing blended learning in a nuclear medicine specialist course. Acta Radiologica Open 6(7): 1-5.
- R. M. Gray. (2017). Teaching and learning as textual acts: Roland Barthes, assessment, and the value of the writerly. Theory Lessons: Constructing, Deconstructing, and Reconstructing the Classroom. Ed. Becky McLaughlin. Newcastle up Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 95-115.
- Mobile in Black and White (2013), a documentary film project
- Technology Integration in Higher Education: Social and Organizational Aspects (2011), a reference book co-edited with Daniel Surry and Tres Stefurak
- Jesus Walks the Southland (2014), a book of poems
- Gray, R. M, and Dwight, J. (2011). "Toward a New Standard of Quality in Online Learning: Critical Interaction and the Death of the Online Instructor." Technology Integration in Higher Education: Social and Organizational Aspects. IGI.
- Johnson, R. B. & Gray, R. M. (2009). "A Brief History (Past and Present) of Mixed Methods Research Issues." SAGE Handbook of Mixed Methods in Social & Behavioral Research, 2nd ed. SAGE.
- Vanguri, P. R., & Gray, R. M. (2004). "Current Issues in Athletic Training: Faculty Technology Development." Athletic Therapy Today.
- Gray, R. M. (2002). "Assessing Student's Written Projects." New Directions for Teaching and Learning: Assessment Strategies for the Online Teacher: From Theory to Practice. Jossey-Bass.
Teaching and Learning in the Digital Age: Online Tools and Assessment Practices, funded by Norgesuniversitetet
Mobile in Black and White, a documentary film project on race relations in the United States
- Development of Tools for Enhancing the Quality of University Teachers´ Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Fields of competence