Reed has many years of experience with research, and now works with the research group Cellnet at the Department of Biomedicine.
Rolf Reed first came to the University of Bergen and the faculty in 1972 as a recent medical student. Afterwards he was a doctor, associate professor and professor. From 1992 he was vice dean and between 1999 and 2003 he was dean. In 2005, Rolf Reed took over as head of the Department of Biomedicine at the Faculty of Medicine, UiB.
In 1993, he received the Anders Jahre Prize for Young Researchers (UiO), "for his research on the physiology of edema and the structural proteins of connective tissue".
In 2002 he was elected to the Royal Swedish Society of Science in Uppsala and three years later he was an honorary doctor at Uppsala University.
In 2006, it was time for membership in the Norwegian Academy of Sciences.
In 2020, Reed received the King's Medal of Merit, which was awarded in appreciation of "efforts of a particularly socially beneficial nature in areas such as art, culture, science, business, social and humanitarian work".
- (2020). Epac1 null mice have nephrogenic diabetes insipidus with deficient corticopapillary osmotic gradient and weaker collecting duct tight junctions. Acta Physiologica.
- (2020). Epac1 is crucial for maintenance of endothelial barrier function through a mechanism partly independent og Rac1. Cells.
- (2019). Time course of decompensation after angiotensin II and high-salt diet in Balb/CJ mice suggests pulmonary hypertension-induced cardiorenal syndrome. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. R563-R570.
- (2019). Stromal integrin α11-deficiency reduces interstitial fluid pressure and perturbs collagen structure in triple-negative breast xenograft tumors. BMC Cancer. 1-13.
- (2019). Protein expression profiling of plasma and lungs at different stages of metastatic development in a human triple negative breast cancer xenograft model. PLOS ONE.
- (2019). Integrin α11β1 is expressed in breast cancer stroma and associates with aggressive tumor phenotypes. The journal of pathology. Clinical research. 69-82.
- (2019). Angiotensin II and salt-induced decompensation in Balb/CJ mice is aggravated by fluid retention related to low oxidative stress. American Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology (AJP). 914-933.
- (2018). Radiation treatment monitoring with DCE-US in CWR22 prostate tumor xenografts. Acta Radiologica. 1-10.
- (2018). Integrin αVβ3 can substitute for collagen‐binding β1‐integrins in vivo to maintain a homeostatic interstitial fluid pressure. Experimental Physiology. 629-634.
- (2018). Epac1−/− mice have elevated baseline permeability and do not respond to histamine as measured with dynamic contrast‐enhanced magnetic resonance imaging with contrast agents of different molecular weights. Acta Physiologica. 1-14.