- Development economics
- International economics
- Political economy
Selected international publications:
- Rents and the Political Economy of Development Aid, chapter 15 in R.D. Congleton and A.L. Hillman (eds), Companion to Political Economy of Rent Seeking, Edward Elgar, 2015.
- “Dancing to the Donors’ Tune? Policy-Choice in Aid-Dependent Countries,” Scandinavian Journal of Economics 117(1), 126-163 (2015).
- "Do Non-Enforceable Contracts matter? Evidence from an International Lab Experiment." Review of Income and Wealth 60(1), 100-113 (2014) (with Alexander Cappelen, Erik Ø. Sørensen, and Bertil Tungodden).
- "Certified or Branded? A Game-Theoretic Analysis of the IMF's Policy Support Instrument." Review of International Organizations 7 (2012): 203-230.
- "Basic Analytics of Multilateral Lending and Surveillance." Journal of International Economics 79 (2009):126-136.
- "National Responsibility and the Just Distribution of Debt Relief." Ethics and International Affairs 21(1): 69-83 (2007) (with Alexander Cappelen and Bertil Tungodden). Also published in C. Barry, B. Herman, and L. Tomitova (eds.): Dealing Fairly with Developing Country Debt. Blackwell, 2008.
- "Buying Influence. Aid Fungibility in a Strategic Perspective." Review of Development Economics 10(2): 267-284 (2006).
- “Samaritan Agents? On the Strategic Delegation of Aid Policy.” Journal of Development Economics 79(1): 249-263 (2006).
- Ph.D. Economics, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration (NHH)
- Courses in political economy, bachelor and master level, NHH and UiB
- Courses in development economics, bachelor and master level, UiB
- Course in institutions and economics, master level, UiB
- Introductory microeconomics, UiB
- Participated in numerous externally financed projects, including some as project leader, mostly on topics within development economics
Aid Fragmentation, Donor Coordination, and Selectivity, project for the Expert Group for Evaluation and Analysis of Swedish International Aid (output: Concentration Difficulties? An Analysis of Swedish Aid Proliferation, EBA-report 2015:03
Work in progress:
- Why Northern NGOs Hire too many Expatriates and What Southern Governments Do about It (with Ami Glazer and Jørn Rattsø), paper presented at the workshop on the Economics of Global Interactions, University of Bari, September 2014.
- Gatekeeper? The IMF, Aid Flows, and Policymaking in Low Income Countries, paper presented at the 8th Annual Conference on the Political Economy of International Organizations (PEIO), Berlin, February 2015.
- Aid Dispersion: Measurement in Principle and Practice (with Cathrin Fløgstad)