My research aims at understanding fluid-microbe interactions. I'm interested in the formation of organic molecules as a result of pyrolysis of microbial biomass (Archaeal and Bacterial) under various hydrothermal conditions using the Dickson-type flexible-cell high temperature-pressure reactors.
My work also includes understanding the formation and interactions of various organic compounds and nutrients in natural hydrothermal systems and their role on microbial metabolism.
My field of interest also includes understanding the effects of fluid-rock interactions, magma degassing, sub-surface cooling and mixing of seawater on hydrothermal fluids using fluid geochemistry and thermodynamic modelling. I'm based at the Department of Earth Sciences and the Centre for Deep Sea Research .
2019 GS19 ► R/V GO Sars/ROVÆgir ►Arctic Mid-Oceanic ridge: 73°N Vent Site
2019 PS119 ► R/V Polarstern/ROV Quest 4000m ► East Scotia ridge and South Sandwich island arc
2018 M149 ► R/V Meteor/MeBo-70 ► Gulf of Cadiz
- 08/2021-present: PhD Research Fellow, University of Bergen.
- 10/2017-01/2021: MSc Marine Geosciences, University of Bremen, Germany. Thesis: Geochemical investigations of hydrothermal fluids from the South Sandiwch island arc, Southern Ocean.
- 07/2014-07/2021: BSc Geology, St Xavier's College, University of Mumbai, India.
- Diehl A, Pereira S, Köster M, Bach W (2019): Hydrothermal fluids & precipitates, in: Bohrmann G., (ed.) The expedition PS119 of the Research Vessel POLARSTERN to the Eastern Scotia Sea in 2019. Reports on Polar and Marine Research 736, 87–94.(doi:10.2312/BzPM_0736_2019)
- Pereira S, Hüpers A (2018): Geochemistry of pore-fluids, in: Hüpers A., (ed.). Preliminary results of R/V METEOR cruise M149: Shipboard and Post-Cruise Analysis, Recurrence of tsunamigenic hazards from MeBo drilling records and hazard mitigation using MeBo observatories, Las Palmas (Canary Islands) – Cadiz (Spain), 24.07.2018 – 24.08.2018. Berichte aus dem MARUM und dem Fachbereich Geowissenschaften der Universität Bremen.(10.26092/elib/100)
Sandwich Venting II
- Advanced Ion Chromatography (HPIC with CD and ED)
I work with the Dionex ICS 5000 to analyse anions (F, Cl, Br, SO4, NO3 and PO4) and carboxylic acids (formate, acetate, propionate, butyrate, valerate and caproate) using conductivity detection. I also have a working method set up to analyse amino acids using electrochemical detection.
- Cultivation of extremophile microbes
My work involves working with mesophilic sulphur oxidizing bacteria's and hyperthermophilic methanogens under anaerobic conditions. I'm currently working on cultures of Sulfurovum riftiae and Methanocaldococcus villosus.