Sarah Jacoba Deborah Wurz
Associate Professor, Archaeology
- Phone+47 55 58 89 77
- Visitor AddressØysteinsgate 3
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 Bergen
- 2019. Shellfish exploitation during the Oakhurst at Klipdrift Cave, southern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Science.
- 2019. Shellfish exploitation during the Oakhurst at Klipdrift Cave, southern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Science. 8 pages.
- 2019. Cooked starchy food in hearths ca. 120 kya and 65 kya (MIS 5e and MIS 4) from Klasies River Cave, South Africa. Journal of Human Evolution. 210-227.
- 2019. Color Me Heated? A Comparison of Potential Methods to Quantify Color Change in Thermally-Altered Rocks. Journal of Field Archaeology. 215-233.
- 2019. A high-resolution perspective on MIS 5c-d lithic assemblages from Klasies River main site Cave 1. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. 1-33.
- 2019. A functional investigation of southern Cape Later Stone Age artefacts resembling aerophones. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. 693-711.
- 2018. The Howiesons Poort lithic sequence of Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa. PLOS ONE. 1-24.
- 2018. Small mammals from Marine Isotope Stage 5 at Klasies River, South Africa - Reconstructing the local palaeoenvironment. Quaternary International. 6-20.
- 2018. Phytoliths in modern plants and soils from Klasies River, Cape Region (South Africa). Quaternary International. 440-459.
- 2018. Connections, culture and environments around 100?000 years ago at Klasies River main site. Quaternary International. 102-115.
- 2017. Towards a better understanding of cooking techniques in the African Middle Stone Age. Primitive tider. 101-114.
- 2017. The Technology of the Early Oakhurst Lithic Techno-Complex from Klipdrift Cave, Southern Cape, South Africa. African Archaeological Review. 93-119.
- 2016. Occupational intensity and environmental changes during the Howiesons Poort at Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 349-364.
- 2016. Early evidence for the extensive heat treatment of silcrete in the Howiesons Poort at Klipdrift Shelter (layer PBD, 65 ka), South Africa. PLOS ONE.
- 2015. Techno-cultural characterization of the MIS 5 (c. 105 - 90 Ka) lithic industries at Blombos Cave, Southern Cape, South Africa. PLOS ONE. 29 pages.
- 2014. Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa: preliminary report on the Howiesons Poort layers. Journal of Archaeological Science. 284-303.
- 2013. Technological trends in the Middle Stone Age of South Africa between MIS 7 and MIS 3. Current Anthropology. No. S8: S305-S319.
- 2013. Pleistocene Homo and the updated Stone Age sequence of South Africa. South African Journal of Science. 1-7.
- 2013. Perreault, C. , Brantingham, P. J., Kuhn, S.L., Wurz, S. & Gao, X. Measuring the Complexity of Lithic Technology. Current Anthropology. S397-S406.
- 2012. The significance of MIS 5 shell midddens on the cape coast - a lithic perspective from Klasies River and Ysterfontein 1. Quaternary International. 61-69.
- 2012. Out of Africa, the Nile Valley and the Northern Route. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 168-179.
- 2018. Shellfishing at Klipdrift Cave during the Oakhurst, ca. 12–10 ka, in the southern Cape coast, South Africa: human predation pressure, dietary and climatic implications.
- 2018. Red alert? The colors of heat-affected quartzite from the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
- 2017. Shellfish and tortoise exploitation during the Oakhurst at Klipdrift Cave, southern Cape, South Africa: human predation pressure and climatic implications.
- 2016. The habitual heat treatment of silcrete by the Howiesons Poort groups from southern Africa.
- 2015. Heating silcrete: innovation, invention or simple opportunistic behavior for the MSA groups?
- 2014. Patterns of changes over the Howiesons Poort sequence at Klipdrift Shelter (South Africa).
- 2014. Heat treatment of silcrete in the southern African MSA: the heating procedure and its implications for the chaine operatoire.
- 2012. SOUTH AFRICAN AND LESOTHO STONE AGE SEQUENCE UPDATED (I). South African Archaeological Bulletin. 123-144.
- 2014. Review of Barham, L. 2013. From Hand to Handle. The First Industrial Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press; Shea, J.J. 2013. Stone Tools in the Paleolithic and Neolithic Near East. A Guide. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Desrosiers, P.M. (Editor) 2012. The Emergence of Pressure Blade Making. From Origin to Modern Experimentation. New York: Springer. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 118-124.
- 2012. Review of Henshilwood, C.S. & d’Errico, F. (editors). 2011. Homo symbolicus. The dawn of language, imagination and spirituality. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company. ISBN: 978-90-272-1189-7 (hardback). I-XI, 237pp. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 282-283.
- 2011. The Cave of Hearths: Makapan Middle Pleistocene Research Project: Field research by Anthony Sinclair and Patrick Quinney, 1996-2001. Azania. 382-384.
- 2014. Southern and East African Middle Stone Age: Geography and Culture. . In: Smith C. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology: SpringerReference (www.springerreference.com). Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2014. DOI: 10.1007/SpringerReference_403624 2014-02-28 14:41:28 UTC.
- 2018. Arkeologi på rappen 1-3: Silje Evjenth Bentsen og Sarah Wurz om matlaging for 120.000 år siden.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- 2019. A Song of Space and Fire: Is There a Pyrotechnical Architecture of the African Middle Stone Age? 15 pages.
- 2014. Southern and East African Middle Stone Age: Geography and Culture. 10 pages.
- 2019. MIS 5c-d at Klasies River: An analysis of microfossils to infe paleoenvironmental conditions.
Website (informational material)
- 2012. The transition to modern behaviour.