Sarah Jacoba Deborah Wurz
- Phone+47 55 58 89 77
- Visitor AddressØysteins gate 35007 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 Bergen
- (2022). Microstratigraphic preservation of ancient faunal and hominin DNA in Pleistocene cave sediments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2021). Technocomplexes and chronostratigraphy for mis 6-1 in Southern Africa. South African Journal of Geology. 1083-1092.
- (2020). The palaeoecology of Klasies River, South Africa: An analysis of the large mammal remains from the 1984-1995 excavations of Cave 1 and 1A. Quaternary Science Reviews. 1-17.
- (2020). The Doring River bullroarers rock painting: Continuities in sound and rainmaking. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. 12 pages.
- (2020). Further evidence for bow hunting and its implications more than 60 000 years ago: Results of a use-trace analysis of the bone point from Klasies River Main site, South Africa. Quaternary Science Reviews. 14 pages.
- (2020). Coastal adaptation at Klasies River main site during MIS 5c-d (93,000–110,000 years ago) from a southern Cape perspective. Journal of Island & Coastal Archaeology. 1-29.
- (2020). A FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT OF THE NOTCHED BONE ARTEFACTS FROM KLASIES RIVER MAIN SITE . South African Archaeological Bulletin. 128-136.
- (2019). Shellfish exploitation during the Oakhurst at Klipdrift Cave, southern Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Science. 8 pages.
- (2019). Revisiting Klasies river: A report on the large mammal remains from the deacon excavations of Klasies river main site, South Africa. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 127-137.
- (2019). Ethnobotanical research at klasies river linking past, present, and future. Ethnobotany Research and Applications. 1-24.
- (2019). Cooked starchy food in hearths ca. 120 kya and 65 kya (MIS 5e and MIS 4) from Klasies River Cave, South Africa. Journal of Human Evolution. 210-227.
- (2019). Color Me Heated? A Comparison of Potential Methods to Quantify Color Change in Thermally-Altered Rocks. Journal of Field Archaeology. 215-233.
- (2019). A high-resolution perspective on MIS 5c-d lithic assemblages from Klasies River main site Cave 1. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. 1-33.
- (2019). A functional investigation of southern Cape Later Stone Age artefacts resembling aerophones. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports. 693-711.
- (2018). The Howiesons Poort lithic sequence of Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa. PLOS ONE. 1-24.
- (2018). Small mammals from Marine Isotope Stage 5 at Klasies River, South Africa - Reconstructing the local palaeoenvironment. Quaternary International. 6-20.
- (2018). Phytoliths in modern plants and soils from Klasies River, Cape Region (South Africa). Quaternary International. 440-459.
- (2018). Connections, culture and environments around 100?000 years ago at Klasies River main site. Quaternary International. 102-115.
- (2017). Towards a better understanding of cooking techniques in the African Middle Stone Age. Primitive tider. 101-114.
- (2017). The Technology of the Early Oakhurst Lithic Techno-Complex from Klipdrift Cave, Southern Cape, South Africa. African Archaeological Review. 93-119.
- (2016). Occupational intensity and environmental changes during the Howiesons Poort at Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 349-364.
- (2016). Early evidence for the extensive heat treatment of silcrete in the Howiesons Poort at Klipdrift Shelter (layer PBD, 65 ka), South Africa. PLOS ONE.
- (2015). Techno-cultural characterization of the MIS 5 (c. 105 - 90 Ka) lithic industries at Blombos Cave, Southern Cape, South Africa. PLOS ONE. 29 pages.
- (2014). Klipdrift Shelter, southern Cape, South Africa: preliminary report on the Howiesons Poort layers. Journal of Archaeological Science. 284-303.
- (2013). Technological trends in the Middle Stone Age of South Africa between MIS 7 and MIS 3. Current Anthropology. No. S8: S305-S319.
- (2013). Pleistocene Homo and the updated Stone Age sequence of South Africa. South African Journal of Science. 1-7.
- (2013). Perreault, C. , Brantingham, P. J., Kuhn, S.L., Wurz, S. & Gao, X. Measuring the Complexity of Lithic Technology. Current Anthropology. S397-S406.
- (2012). The significance of MIS 5 shell midddens on the cape coast - a lithic perspective from Klasies River and Ysterfontein 1. Quaternary International. 61-69.
- (2012). Out of Africa, the Nile Valley and the Northern Route. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 168-179.
- (2018). Shellfishing at Klipdrift Cave during the Oakhurst, ca. 12–10 ka, in the southern Cape coast, South Africa: human predation pressure, dietary and climatic implications.
- (2018). Red alert? The colors of heat-affected quartzite from the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
- (2017). Shellfish and tortoise exploitation during the Oakhurst at Klipdrift Cave, southern Cape, South Africa: human predation pressure and climatic implications.
- (2016). The habitual heat treatment of silcrete by the Howiesons Poort groups from southern Africa.
- (2015). Heating silcrete: innovation, invention or simple opportunistic behavior for the MSA groups?
- (2014). Patterns of changes over the Howiesons Poort sequence at Klipdrift Shelter (South Africa).
- (2014). Heat treatment of silcrete in the southern African MSA: the heating procedure and its implications for the chaine operatoire.
- (2012). SOUTH AFRICAN AND LESOTHO STONE AGE SEQUENCE UPDATED (I). South African Archaeological Bulletin. 123-144.
- (2014). Review of Barham, L. 2013. From Hand to Handle. The First Industrial Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press; Shea, J.J. 2013. Stone Tools in the Paleolithic and Neolithic Near East. A Guide. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Desrosiers, P.M. (Editor) 2012. The Emergence of Pressure Blade Making. From Origin to Modern Experimentation. New York: Springer. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 118-124.
- (2012). Review of Henshilwood, C.S. & d’Errico, F. (editors). 2011. Homo symbolicus. The dawn of language, imagination and spirituality. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company. ISBN: 978-90-272-1189-7 (hardback). I-XI, 237pp. South African Archaeological Bulletin. 282-283.
- (2011). The Cave of Hearths: Makapan Middle Pleistocene Research Project: Field research by Anthony Sinclair and Patrick Quinney, 1996-2001. Azania. 382-384.
- (2014). Southern and East African Middle Stone Age: Geography and Culture. . In: Smith C. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology: SpringerReference (www.springerreference.com). Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2014. DOI: 10.1007/SpringerReference_403624 2014-02-28 14:41:28 UTC.
- (2018). Arkeologi på rappen 1-3: Silje Evjenth Bentsen og Sarah Wurz om matlaging for 120.000 år siden.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- (2019). A Song of Space and Fire: Is There a Pyrotechnical Architecture of the African Middle Stone Age? 15 pages.
- (2014). Southern and East African Middle Stone Age: Geography and Culture. 10 pages.
- (2020). The Early Middle Stone Age in South Africa. 26 pages. In:
- (2020). Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Oxford University Press.
- (2019). MIS 5c-d at Klasies River: An analysis of microfossils to infe paleoenvironmental conditions.
Website (informational material)
- (2012). The transition to modern behaviour.