Sigurd William Hystad
- Phone+47 55 58 32 89
- Visitor AddressChristies gate 125015 BergenRoom411
- Postal AddressPostboks 78075020 Bergen
- Transportation safety
- Safety culture
- Resilience/psycholgical hardiness
- Research methods and statistics
- (2023). Selection of Norwegian police drone operators: an evaluation of selected cognitive tests from “The Vienna Test System". Police Practice & Research. 15 pages.
- (2023). Hardiness and mental health during naval deployment: The relation is mediated by social processes and not by self-regulatory processes. Revue européenne de psychologue appliquée.
- (2023). Exploring Why Police and Military Commanders Do What They Do: An Empirical Analysis of Decision-Making in Hybrid Warfare. Armed forces and society.
- (2022). The association between pain-related factors and psychological distress in patients with temporomandibular disorder. Psychology, Health & Medicine. 1-8.
- (2022). The Effect of Complexity of Ambulance Missions on Shared Mental Models in Virtual Teams. Emergency Medicine Open Journal.
- (2022). Police Dyads Within an Operational Simulation: an Empirical Test of the Research Propositions Made in the “Big Five” Teamwork Approach. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology. 844-855.
- (2022). Perceived barriers in family-based behavioural treatment of paediatric obesity – Results from the FABO study. Pediatric Obesity. 11 pages.
- (2022). Paths to positive growth in parents bereaved by drug-related death: A mixed-method study. Frontiers in Psychology. 14 pages.
- (2022). Objectively measured physical activity among treatment seeking children and adolescents with severe obesity and normal weight peers. Obesity Science & Practice. 801-810.
- (2022). Family-based treatment of children with severe obesity in a public healthcare setting: Results from a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Obesity. 11 pages.
- (2022). Concentrated transdiagnostic and cross-disciplinary group treatment for patients with depression and with anxiety: a pilot study. BMC Psychiatry. 1-11.
- (2022). A novel concentrated, interdisciplinary group rehabilitation program for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Protocol for a nonrandomized clinical intervention study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 1-10.
- (2021). Ship Leadership, Situation Awareness, and Crew Safety Behaviour-Preregistered Replications in Two Survey Datasets. Scandinavian Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. 13 pages.
- (2021). Predictors of turnover intention among Norwegian nurses: A cohort study. Health Care Management Review. 367-374.
- (2021). Evaluation of novel concentrated interdisciplinary group rehabilitation for patients with chronic illnesses: Protocol for a nonrandomized clinical intervention study. JMIR Research Protocols. 1-13.
- (2021). Does Concentrated Exposure Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Improve Insomnia Symptoms? Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 1-8.
- (2021). Do Ideals Differ and Matter? An Investigation of Authentic Leadership Ideals Among Norwegian Military Officers Across Generations – and Its Impact on Leadership Practice. Scandinavian Journal of Military Studies. 13-25.
- (2021). Avoidance coping mediates the effect of hardiness on mental distress symptoms for both male and female subjects. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 1-8.
- (2020). Trust After Just 45 Seconds? An Experimental Vignette Study of How Leader Behavior and Emotional States Influence Immediate Trust in Strangers. Frontiers in Psychology. 6 pages.
- (2020). The dimensionality of the 12-item general health questionnaire (GHQ-12): Comparisons of factor structures and invariance across samples and time. Frontiers in Psychology. 1-11.
- (2020). Mental health during naval deployment: The protective role of family support. Military medicine. 703-710.
- (2020). Effect of D-Cycloserine on the Effect of Concentrated Exposure and Response Prevention in Difficult-to-Treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Network Open. 1-13.
- (2020). Beyond sleep duration: Sleep timing as a risk factor for childhood obesity. Pediatric Obesity. 11 pages.
- (2019). Sammenhengen mellom alkoholbruk og forlenget sorg hos nære etterlatte etter terrorangrepet på Utøya i 2011. Scandinavian Psychologist. 1-17.
- (2019). Physical fitness and psychological hardiness as predictors of parasympathetic control in response to stress: a Norwegian police simulator training study. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology. 1-14.
- (2019). External distractions and motor performance: A field study exploring the effects of mental toughness and extraversion on golf putting. International Journal of Sport Psychology. 437-447.
- (2019). Dispositional resilience in treatment‐seeking patients with obsessive‐compulsive disorder and its association with treatment outcome. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 243-251.
- (2019). A randomized controlled trial of concentrated ERP, self-help and waiting list for obsessive- compulsive disorder: The Bergen 4-Day Treatment. Frontiers in Psychology. 1-13.
- (2018). The effect of hardiness on PTSD symptoms: A prospective mediational approach. Military Psychology. 142-151.
- (2018). Perception of specific military skills – the impact of perfectionism and self-efficacy. Journal of Military Studies. 15 pages.
- (2018). God under press. En operasjonalisering av moralsk robusthet i krevende operative Situasjoner. Necesse. 72-82.
- (2017). The impact of sleep quality, fatigue and safety climate on the perceptions of accident risk among seafarers [L'impact de la qualite du sommeil, de la fatigue et du climat de securite sur la perception des risques d'accidents chez les marins]. Revue européenne de psychologue appliquée. 259-267.
- (2017). The effect of hardiness on symptoms of insomnia during a naval mission. International Maritime Health. 147-152.
- (2017). Social support and complicated grief : a longitudinal study on bereaved parents after the Utøya terror attack in Norway. Scandinavian Psychologist.
- (2017). Situation awareness as a determinant for unsafe actions and subjective risk assessment on offshore attendant vessels. Safety Science. 214-221.
- (2017). Hardiness, avoidance coping and risky drinking in stress-exposed military personell: A mediation study. Stress and Health. 498-507.
- (2017). Hardiness as a Moderator and Motivation for Operational Duties as Mediator: the Relation Between Operational Self-Efficacy, Performance Satisfaction, and Perceived Strain in a Simulated Police Training Scenario. Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology. 331-339.
- (2017). Effects of leadership style and psychological job demands on situation awareness and the willingness to take a risk: A survey of selected offshore vessels. Safety Science. 178-186.
- (2017). Does psychological capital moderate the relationship between worries about accidents and sleepiness? International Maritime Health. 245-251.
- (2017). Are Auditory Distractions Disturbing and Detrimental to the Performance of Expert Golfers? A Field Experiment. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. 323-336.
- (2016). Sleep and fatigue among seafarers: the role of environmental stressors, duration at sea and Psychological Capital. SH@W Safety and Health at Work. 363-371.
- (2016). Safe travel: Passenger assessment of trust and safety during seafaring. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. 29-36.
- (2016). Employees’ psychological capital, job satisfaction, insecurity, and intentions to quit: The direct and indirect effects of authentic leadership [Capital psicológico, satisfacción laboral, inseguridad e intención de abandono de los trabajadores: efectos directos e indirectos del liderazgo auténtico]. Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. 163-171.
- (2015). The combined influence of hardiness and cohesion on mental health in a military peacekeeping mission: A prospective study. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 560-566.
- (2015). The Brief Norwegian Safety Climate Inventory (Brief NORSCI) - Psychometric properties and relationships with shift work, sleep, and health. Safety Science. 23-30.
- (2015). Psychopathy, anxiety, and resiliency – Psychological hardiness as a mediator of the psychopathy–anxiety relationship in a prison setting. Personality and Individual Differences. 30-34.
- (2015). Psychological Hardiness and Avoidance Coping Are Related to Risky Alcohol Use in Returning Combat Veterans. Military Behavioral Health. 274-282.
- (2015). On the stability of psychological hardiness: A three-year longitudinal study. Military Psychology. 155-168.
- (2015). Distributed situation awareness in complex collaborative systems: A field study of bridge operations on platform supply vessels. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 273-294.
- (2014). Positive organizational behavior and safety in the offshore oil industry: Exploring the determinants of positive safety climate. Journal of Positive Psychology. 42-53.
- (2014). Moral disengagement as a mechanism between perceptions of organisational injustice and deviant work behaviours. Safety Science. 138-145.
- (2014). Cross-language consistency of the comprehensive assessment of psychopathic personality (CAPP) model. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment. 356-368.
- (2014). Authentic Leadership and Safety Climate Among Seafarers. The Journal of leadership studies. 394-402.
- (2013). The Role of Psychological Capital in Perception of Safety Climate Among Air Traffic Controllers. The Journal of leadership studies. 232-241.
- (2013). Safety behaviours at sea: The role of personal values and personality hardiness. Safety Science. 19-26.
- (2013). Psychological hardiness predicts success in a Norwegian armed forces border patrol selection course. International Journal of Selection and Assessment. 368-375.
- (2013). Psychological hardiness predicts neuroimmunological responses to stress. Psychology, Health & Medicine. 705-713.
- (2013). Hardiness Profiles: Defining Clusters of the Dispositional Resilience Scale and their Relation to Soldiers’ Health. Military Behavioral Health. 123-128.
- (2013). Fatigue in seafarers working in the offshore oil and gas re-supply industry: effects of safety climate, psychosocial work environment and shift arrangement. International Maritime Health. 72-79.
- (2013). A brief safety climate inventory for petro-maritime organizations. Safety Science. 81-88.
- (2012). Psychometric properties of a four-component Norwegian organizational justice scale. Psychological Reports. 571-588.
- (2012). Psychological hardiness and coping style as risk/resilience factors for alcohol abuse. Military medicine. 517-524.
- (2012). Exploring gender equivalence and bias in a measure of psychological hardiness. International Journal of Psychological Studies. 69-79.
- (2012). Dispositional pessimism but not optimism is related to sickness absence caused by musculoskeletal symptoms. Personality and Individual Differences. 207-212.
- (2011). Psychological hardiness predicts admission into Norwegian military officer schools. Military Psychology. 381-389.
- (2011). Effects of psychological hardiness, job demands, and job control on sickness absence: a prospective study. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology. 265-278.
- (2010). Psykologisk hardførhet predikerer soldaters motivasjonsutvikling under en 200 km lang skimarsj. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 511-513.
- (2010). Psychometric properties of the revised Norwegian dispositional resilience (hardiness) scale. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 237-245.
- (2010). Evaluating lifetime NODS using Rasch modelling. International Gambling Studies. 189-202.
- (2010). An exploratory study of differences in emotional intelligence in U.S. and Norwegian undergraduate students. Psychological Reports. 891-898.
- (2009). Psykologisk hardførhet: En revidert versjon av den norske "Hardiness"-skalaen. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. 857-859.
- (2009). Prevalence and correlates of gambling among 16 to 19-year old adolescents in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 55-64.
- (2009). Academic Stress and Health: Exploring the Moderating Role of Personality Hardiness. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research. 421-429.
- (2018). Physical fitness and psychological hardiness as predictors of autonomic self-regulation during stress. A Norwegian police simulator training study.
- (2011). Psychological Hardiness from a Scandinavian Perspective.
- (2011). Evaluation of Psychological Hardiness and Coping Style as Risk/Resilience Factors for Health Risk Behaviour.
- (2009). Authentic leadership and psychological capiral: Does it influence safety climate in high reliability organizations?
Reader opinion piece
- (2015). Misvisende om kjønn og publikasjonspoeng. På Høyden ( UiBs nettavis).
Thesis at a second degree level
- (2015). Sammenhengen mellom psykisk helse i ungdomsalder og vektstatus i ung voksen alder. En 11 års oppfølgingsstudie fra Helseundersøkelsen i Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT).
- (2017). Safety on board offshore vessels: A study of shipboard factors and situation awareness.
- (2011). Measuring Psychological Resiliency: Validation of an Adapted Norwegian Hardiness Scale.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- (2019). Sikkerhetsklima. 13 pages.
- (2015). Personlighetspsykologi og operativ psykologi: Hardførhet som en relevant personlighetsdimensjon. 21 pages.
- (2010). Increasing mental hardiness for stress resilience in operational settings. 16 pages.
- (2021). Late Sleep Timing, and Less Organized Sport are Related to Lower Physical Activity Levels in Children and Adolescents with Severe Obesity. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 14-14.
- (2017). Family-based behavioural treatment for childhood and adolescent obesity: Are parenting practices and parental cohabitation associated with pre-post changes in BMI Standard Deviation Score (BMI-SDS) during treatment? Acta Paediatrica. 19-33.
- (2017). Disordered Eating in Children and Adolescents with Severe Obesity: Pre-post Changes During Family-Based Behavioural Treatment for Obesity. Acta Paediatrica. 34-40.
- (2015). Mental health problems as predictors of weight change from adolescence to young adulthood, 11 years follow-up. The HUNT-study Norway. Acta Paediatrica. 10-10.
- (2012). Authentic leadership and safety climate in shipping. International Journal of Psychology (IJP). 541-541.
- (2008). Measurement equivalence in Norwegian and American hardiness scales. International Journal of Psychology (IJP). 316-316.
- (2021). Barriers experienced in Family-based cognitive behavioural treatment of childhood obesity and pre-mature drop-out from treatment.
- (2017). Authentic leadership roles in employees job satisfaction, job insecurity, and intentions to quit the organisation.
- (2013). Low psychological hardiness and avoidance coping predict alcohol abuse in the military.
- (2010). Psychological Capital and Safety Climate: A study of Norwegian Air Traffic Controllers.
- (2009). Evaluatin a new screening approach to identify soldiers at high-risk for alcohol abuse.
- (2008). Operational Psychology.
- (2008). Norwegian adaption of the DRS - Dispositional Resiliences Scale for measuring hardiness under stress.
- (2008). Norwegian adaptation of the DRS- Dispositional Resilience Scale for measuring hardiness under stress.
- (2008). Measurement equivalence in Norwegian and American Hardiness measures.
- (2007). DIF - Differential Item Functioning Analysis of Norwegian and American Hardiness Measures.
- (2007). Cross cultural adaptation of the DRS-15 Dispositional Resilience Scale (psychological hardiness).
Academic literature review
- (2020). Lean on me: A scoping review of the essence of workplace support among child welfare workers. Frontiers in Psychology. 1-17.
- (2019). Resiliens- en sentral egenskap hos operatøren. 21-34. In:
- (2019). Operativ psykologi 2. Fagbokforlaget.
- (2016). Training hardiness for stress resilience. 231-248. In:
- (2016). Military psychology: Concepts, trends and interventions. SAGE Publications India.
More information in national current research information system (CRIStin)