Silvio Oscar Funtowicz
- Visitor AddressParkveien 9
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 BERGEN
Philosophy of Science
- 2020. The technique is never neutral. How methodological choices condition the generation of narratives for sustainability. Environmental Science and Policy. 87-98.
- 2018. Vecchie risposte a nuove sfide. Epidemiologia & Prevenzione. 182-183.
- 2017. What is science’s crisis really about? Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 5-11.
- 2017. Scienza e democrazia in crisi: un viaggio verso il nuovo che ancora non c’è. Epidemiologia & Prevenzione.
- 2016. New narratives for innovation. Journal of Cleaner Production. 1849-1853.
- 2015. Sustainability and techno-science: What do we want to sustain and for whom? International Journal of Sustainable Development. 329-348.
- 2015. Negotiating a place for sustainability science: Narratives from the Waikaraka Estuary in New Zealand. Environmental Science and Policy. 47-59.
- 2014. When all models are wrong. Issues in science and technology. 79-85.
- 2013. VISIONS for Venice in 2050: Aleph, story telling and unsolved paradoxes. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 69-78.
- 2013. Science based risk assessment requires careful evaluation of all studies. Nature Biotechnology. 1077-1078.
- 2012. Sustainable development indicators: from statistics to policy. Environmental Policy and Governance. 322-336.
- 2012. Super-Computers, Evolution and the Fabrication of Life: How can Science and Technology Studies (STS) Contribute to More Reflexive Developments in Systems and Synthetic Biology? International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainble Development. 11-24.
- 2012. Hybridizing sustainability: towards a new praxis for the present human predicament. Sustainability Science. 75-89.
- 2013. What can history teach us about the prospects of a European Research Area? .
- 2013. Plug and play: Synthetic biology and the dream of engineering life. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 1-4.
- 2013. Plug and Play: Synthetic Biology and the Dream of Engineering Biology. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 1-4.
Reader opinion piece
- 2013. Science-based risk assessment requires careful evaluation of all studies. Nature Biotechnology. 1077-1078.
- 2012. EL DEBATE: Super-ordenadores, evolución y “la basura” de la vida: ¿Cómo pueden los estudios sociales de la ciencia contribuir a un desarrollo más reflexivo de la biología sintética y de sistemas? Revista Iberoamericana de Ciencia, Tecnología y Sociedad -CTS.
Academic anthology/Conference proceedings
- 2015. Science, Philosophy and Sustainability The End of the Cartesian Dream. Routledge.
- 2016. Science on the verge. Consortium for Science, Policy & Outcomes.
- 2020. Post-normal pandemics: Why COVID-19 requires a new approach to science. Blog of ESRC STEPS (Social, Technological and Environmental Pathways to Sustainability) Centre.
Letter to the editor
- 2016. Modelling: Climate costing is politics not science. Nature. 177-177.
Academic chapter/article/Conference paper
- 2016. Democracy, Ethics and the Governance of Emerging Science and Technology. 14 pages.
- 2015. Post-Normal Science. 12 pages.
- 2015. Peer Review and Quality Control. 5 pages.
- 2015. New Forms of Science. 7 pages.
Academic literature review
- 2020. From risk calculations to narratives of danger. |1-4.
Article in business/trade/industry journal
- 2019. Tutti dalla parte di Greta? Epidemiologia & Prevenzione. 202-203.