- Phone+47 55 58 60 90+47 454 67 033
- Visitor AddressInstitutt for global helse og samfunnsmedisinBergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
Overdiagnosis and overmedicalization, medical ethics and clinical communication, disease as a product of biology, culture and (loss of) meaning, intercultural issues in the medical encounter.
Ethics of biomedical research, clinical ethics, communication and consultation skills, psychiatry in general practice, gastroenterology in general practice.
- 2019. The when and how of the gynaecological examination: a survey among Norwegian general practitioners. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. 264-270.
- 2019. Patient-reported depression treatment and future treatment preferences: an observational study in general practice. Family Practice. 771-777.
- 2019. Dilemmas of medical overuse in general practice?A focus group study. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. 135-140.
- 2018. Trustingly bewildered. How first-year medical students make sense of their learning experience in a traditional, preclinical curriculum. Medical Education Online. 1-9.
- 2017. General practitioners' strategies in consultations with immigrants in Norway - practice-based shared reflections among participants in focus groups. Family Practice. 216-221.
- 2015. Residents’ perceptions of their own sadness - a qualitative study in Norwegian nursing homes. BMC Geriatrics. 1-7.
- 2014. Prevalence of depression among recently admitted long-term care patients in Norwegian nursing homes: Associations with diagnostic workup and use of antidepressants. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders. 154-162.
- 2014. Immigrant and native regular general practitioners in Norway. A comparative registry-based observational study. European Journal of General Practice. 93-99.
- 2013. Impact of divorce and loss of parental contact on health complaints among adolescents. Journal of Public Health (Berlin). 278-285.
- 2011. Treatment decisions on antidepressants in nursing homes: A qualitative study. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care. 252-256.
- 2011. Immigrant general practitioners in Norway: A special resource? A qualitative study. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 239-244.
- 2008. Decoding the genetics debate: hype and hope in Icelandic news media in 2000 and 2004. New genetics and society (Print). 377-394.
- 2007. Geneticization and bioethics: advancing debate and research. Medicine, Health care and Philosophy. 417-431.
- 2006. Scientific rationality, uncertainty and the governance of human genetics: an interview study with researchers at deCODE genetics. European Journal of Human Genetics.
- 2005. Health as a genetic planning project: Enthusiasm and second thoughts among biomedical researchers and their research subjects. Genomics, Society and Policy. 52-65.
- 2000. Legen - den enøyde samaritan? Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 1207-1209.
- 2017. Key Writings in General Practice: The Core of a Discipline and Formation of its Practitioners.
- 2019. Time trends in GPs’ provision of depression care during 2008-2016.
- 2017. The non-linear relationship between evidence and practice – with homebirth as an emotionally charged case.
- 2017. Self-reported depression in patients visiting their general practitioner.
- 2017. Overdiagnosis in general practice: How can it be limited?
- 2017. General practitioners’ gender and the gynecological examination - A survey among GPs in Western Norway.
- 2015. Trustingly bewildered. First-year medical students’ reflections on the ideals of medicine and the realities of medical school.
- 2015. Pelvic examination in general practice. A survey from Western Norway.
- 2005. Biobanks as National Constructs - Iceland and Norway.
- 2003. Sjúkdómsvæðing - Inngangur.
- 2002. When more is worse - Medical expansion as a threat to health.
- 2002. Siðfræði og heilbrigðisþjónusta [Etikk og helsetjenester].
- 2002. How genetics alters the course of history.
- 2002. Gode hensikter, utilsiktede følger?
- 2002. Gode hensikter, utilsiktede følger?
- 2002. Forskning og samfunn, om utilsiktede følger av medisinsk forskning.
- 2002. Erfðafræði og samfélag [Genetikk og samfunn].
- 2020. Kan vi gjøre klokere valg? Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2019. Fastlegegarantien. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2018. Svangerskapsomsorgen må være kunnskapsbasert. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 799-799.
- 2017. God praksis. Om medisin og etikk. Fagbokforlaget.
- 2017. God praksis – om medisin og etikk. Fagbokforlaget.
- 2002. Risikokunnskap - ein helserisiko. UiB-magasinet : nytt fra Universitetet i Bergen.
- 2016. Overdiagnostikk – norske allmennleger viser vei :. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 1903-1905.
- 2018. Mismanagement in General Practice. 30 pages.
- 2011. Hvert er framlag siðfræðinnar til heilbrigðis og læknavísinda? 23 pages.
- 2011. Challenging population screening. 14 pages.
- 2019. Working with complexity is a core generalist competence – Obesity as a case. Symposium at the 21st Nordic Congress of general Practice, Aalborg 17-20 June 2019. 21st Nordic Congress of General Practice 17-20 June 2019, Aalborg, Denmark.
- 2019. From Theory to practice: Complexity science in Daily Practice. Workshop, Nordic Congress of General Practice, Aalborg 17-20 June 2019. Abstracts Nordic Congress of General Practice 2019.
- 2018. Good doctoring: Core writings as an antidote to „too much medicine . BMJ Evidence Based Medicine. A3.
- 2019. Patient-reported treatment preferences in case of future depression .
- 2016. Sadness as perceived by nursing home patients.
- 2013. Promoting health in Healthy Living Centers – does it work, how does it work, and why? A study protocol.
- 2003. How genetics changes the course of history.
- 2016. The person in a state of sickness: the doctor-patient relationship reconsidered. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. 209-218.
Selected publications related to current research
Diaz, Esperanza; Raza, Ali; Sandvik, Hogne; Hjørleifsson, Stefan.
Immigrant and native regular general practitioners in Norway. A comparative registry-based observational study. European Journal of General Practice 2013 ;Volum 19.
Diaz, Esperanza; Hjørleifsson, Stefan.
Immigrant general practitioners in Norway: A special resource? A qualitative study. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 2011 ;Volum 39.(3) s. 239-244
Iden, Kristina Riis; Engedal, Knut Arne; Hjørleifsson, Stefan; Ruths, Sabine.
Prevalence of Depression among Recently Admitted Long-Term Care Patients in Norwegian Nursing Homes: Associations with Diagnostic Workup and Use of Antidepressants.. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2013 ;Volum 37.(3-4) s. 154-162
Iden, Kristina Riis; Hjørleifsson, Stefan; Ruths, Sabine.
Treatment decisions on antidepressants in nursing homes: A qualitative study. Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care 2011 ;Volum 29.(4) s. 252-25
Challenging population screening. I: Public Health - ethical issues. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers 2011 ISBN 978-92-893-2234-8. s. 47-60
2014 Supervisor (trainer) in general practice.
2011 Specialist GP.
2008 Dr med, thesis: Genetics, risk and medicalization
A case study of preventive genetic technologies in Iceland.
1999 Cand med.
1992 BA in philosophy.