- Phone+47 55 58 38 34+47 981 87 251
- Visitor AddressRealfagbygget, Allégaten 415020 BergenRoom4G10a
- Postal AddressPostboks 78035020 Bergen
I am a researcher at the Center for Deep Sea Research, linked to the Department of Earth Science, where I have different responsabilities.
Since 2021, I am managing the laboratory for geomicrobiology. In this role, I have iniated a "greenification" of the laboratory in order to reduce its environmental impact. We aim at becoming the first laboratory in Norway with the Green Lab certification by early 2022.
Since 2021, I am also research coordinator at the Center for Deep Sea Research, which among other involves the maintenance of the webpage of the Center.
In parallel, I am working in the geomicrobiology group of Steffen Jørgensen at the Center for Deep Sea Research. My research is targeted at understanding the microbial communities inhabiting deep sea sediments. In these environments, the enormous amount of cells contrasts with the little amount of energy available for growth. The cells are expected to grow at a tremendously slow pace, making studies on community dynamics very difficult. By quantifying the different functional microbial groups throughout sediment cores we are trying to better understand how the change in chemistry can influence the microbial structures. Furthermore, we are developing new ex-situ experiments to gain insights in the microbial dynamics within sediments.
Since 2019, I have also joined the “Characterization and Distribution of Hydrothermalism and Associated Life" (“CarDHynAL”) project. Using a pluridisciplinary approach, we aim at characterizing the shallow hydrothermal system of the island of Milos in Greece before expanding to other shallow systems around the world.
A little bit about me:
I come from Bretagne, on the western end of France (near Asterix and Obelix's village!). My origins have had a strong impact on my hobbies: I play bagpipe, freedive, and enjoy most of the activities associated with the sea. Not surprisingly, my education revolved around marine biology, but also environmental sciences, virology and microbiology. I got the chance to study in several countries, starting in Brest (France) where I did a IUT of Biology during 2 years. I then finished my Bachelor in Environmental biology in Edinburgh (Scotland). I continued with the Erasmus Mundus Master for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (EMBC) in Bremen (Germany) and Oviedo (Spain). This also allowed me to do my master project at the Danish Archaea Center in København (Denmark). Finally, I moved to Norway to do my PhD at the University of Bergen.
- 2019. Profundibacter amoris gen. nov., sp. nov., a new member of the Roseobacter clade isolated from Loki's Castle Vent Field on the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 975-981.
- 2018. Water masses and depth structure prokaryotic and T4-like viral communities around hydrothermal systems of the Nordic Seas. Frontiers in Microbiology. 1-17.
- 2018. Energy landscapes in hydrothermal chimneys shape distribution of primary producers. Frontiers in Microbiology.
- 2017. Complete genome sequence of Lutibacter profoundi LP1T isolatet from an Arctic deep-sea hydrothermal vent system. Standards in Genomic Sciences. 1-11.
- 2016. Lutibacter profundi sp. nov., isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal system on the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge and emended description of the genus Lutibacter. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2671-2677.
- 2014. Inter-viral conflicts that exploit host CRISPR immune systems of Sulfolobus. Molecular Microbiology. 900-917.
- 2017. Impact of environmental parameters and dispersal on microbial communities in hydrothermal areas of the Nordic Seas.
- 2014. Microbial community changes within a chimney wall at the basalt-hosted Jan Mayen vent field (JMVF):Modeled predictions vs. Pyrosequencing data.
Puzenat, V., Escartin, J., Martelat, J-E., Barreyre, T., Le Moine Bauer, S., Nomikou, P., Graccias, N., Allemand, P., Antoniou, V., Coskun, O, Garcia, R., Grandjean, P., Jørgensen, S. L., Magi, L., Mandalakis, M., Orsi, W., Polymenakou, P., Schouw, A., Vallicrosa, G., Vlasopoulos, O. (2021) Shallow-water hydrothermalism at Milos (Greece): Nature, distribution, heat fluxes and impact on ecosystems. Marine Geology
Roalkvam, I., Le Moine Bauer, S., Powell, M. (2021) Sequencing reveals different nitrifying bacteria in freshwater and seawater RAS biofilters. Hatchery Feed and Management
Le Moine Bauer, S., Sjøberg, A.G., L’Haridon, S., Stokke, R., Roalkvam, I., Steen, I.H., Dahle, H. (2019) Profundibacter amoris gen. nov., sp. nov., a new member of the Roseobacter clade isolated from Loki’s Castle Vent Field on the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge. International Journal of Systematic Evolution and Microbiology DOI 10.1099/ijsem.0.003234
Le Moine Bauer, S., Stensland, A., Daae, F.L., Sandaa, R-A., Thorseth, I. H., Steen, I. H., Dahle, H. (2018) Water masses and depth are the major factors structuring prokaryotic and viral communities around hydrothermal systems of the Nordic Seas. Frontiers in Microbiology 9 1002
Dahle, H., Le Moine Bauer, S., Baumberger, T., Stokke, R., Pedersen, R. B., Thorseth, I. H., Steen, I. H. (2018) Energy landscapes in hydrothermal chimneys shape distributions of primary producers. Frontiers in microbiology 9 1570
Wissuwa, J., Le Moine Bauer, S., Steen, I.H., Stokke, R. (2017) Complete genome sequence of Lutibacter profundi LP1T isolated from an Arctic deep-sea hydrothermal vent system. Standards in Genomic Sciences 12 DOI 10.1186/s40793-016-0219-x
Le Moine Bauer, S., Roalkvam, I., Steen, I.H., Dahle, H. (2016) Lutibacter profundi sp. nov., isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal system on the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge and emended description of the genus Lutibacter. International Journal of Systematic Evolution and Microbiology 66 2671-2677
Erdmann, S., Le Moine Bauer, S., Garett, R.A. (2014) Inter-viral conflicts that exploit host CRISPR immune systems of Sulfolobus. Molecular Microbiology 91 900-917
Erdmann, S., Chen, B., Huang, X., Deng, L., Liu, C., Shah, S.A., Le Moine Bauer, S., Sobrino, C/L., Wang, H., Wei, Y., She, Q., Garett, R.A., Huang, L., Lin, L. (2014) A novel single-tailed fusiform Sulfolobus virus STSV2 infecting model Sulfolobus species. Extremophiles 18 51-60