- Phone+47 55 58 27 07
- Visitor AddressParkveien 95007 Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 BERGEN
Thomas Völker is a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for the Study of the Sciences and Humanities (SVT) of the University of Bergen. Initially trained as a sociologist, in his PhD thesis Völker studied “futuring” practices in transdisciplinary sustainability research from a Science and Technology Studies (STS) perspective. After finishing his PhD at the University of Vienna, he joined the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC), where he further developed his research interests towards questions about participatory decision-making at the multiple interfaces between science, policy and society. Völker has been working both in academia and policy with his research focusing on practices of knowledge production and circulation in environmental governance as well as on collective experiments with participatory democracy in policy making.
Thomas Völker has been teaching at University-level and for European Commission institutions.
At the University of Vienna he developed and held the following courses:
- Kulturen der Wissenserzeugung: Von der Wertegemeinschaft zum Marktplatz der Ideen?
- Tempor(e)alitäten: Zur Rolle von Zukunft und Zeitlichkeiten in kontemporären Wissensgesellschaften
- Dangerous Liaisons? Tracing Society in Contemporary Knowledge Production
- 'Who cares what the future brings?' Understanding technoscientific futures
At the European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) he developed and held a course on citizen engagement together with Ângela Guimarães Pereira:
- DG JRC Training on Citizen Engagement in Policyrelevant Science, Technology and Innovation