Tor A Strand
- Phone+47 909 71 086
- Visitor AddressOverlege Danielsens hus, Årstadveien 21
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
Vitamins, trace elements, childhood infections and cognitive development.
1) Shrestha PS, Shrestha SK, Bodhidatta L, Strand TA, Shrestha B, Shrestha R, Chandyo RK, Ulak M, Mason CJ. Bhaktapur, Nepal: The MAL-ED Birth Cohort Study in Nepal. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;59(suppl 4):S300-S303.
2) SinghP, Shubangi A, Lal S, StrandTA, and Makharia GKCeliac disease in women with infertility: A meta-analysis. J of Clinical Gastroenterology in press
3) Aakre I, Bjøro I, Norheim I, Strand TA, Henjum S. Excessive iodine intake and thyroid dysfunction among lactating Saharawi women J Trace Elem Med Biol in press
4) Mazumder S, Taneja S, Bahl R, Mohan P, Strand TA, Sommerfelt H, Kirkwood BR, Goyal N, Van Den Hombergh H, Martines J, Bhandari N; on behalf of the IMNCI Evaluation Study Group. Effect of implementation of Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness programme on treatment seeking practices for morbidities in infants: cluster randomised trial. BMJ. 2014 Aug 29;349:g4988. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g4988.
5) Rongsen-Chandola T, Winje BA, Goyal N, Rathore SS, Mahesh M, Ranjan R, Arya A, Rafiqi FA, Bhandari N and Strand TA. Mother's compliance following recommendations to breastfeed or withhold breast milk during rotavirus vaccination in North India: a randomized clinical trial, Trials. 2014 Jun 28;15:256. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-256. PMID: 24976452
6) Ellefsen S, Vikmoen O, Zacharoff E, Rauk I, Slettaløkken G, Strand TA, Whist JE, Hanestadhaug M, Vegge G, Fagernes CE, Nygaard H, Hollan I, Raastad T and Rønnestad BR Irisin and FNDC5 - effects of 12 wks strength training, and relations to muscle phenotype and body mass composition in untrained women, Eur J Appl Physiol. 2014 Sep;114(9):1875-88. doi: 10.1007/s00421-014-2922-x. Epub 2014 Jun 7. PMID: 24906447
7) Basnet S, Mathisen M, and Strand TA Oral Zinc and common childhood infections - an update, J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2014 May 22
8) Rongsen-Chandola T, Strand TA, Goyal N , Flem E, Singh D, Arya A, Askeland Winje B, Lazarus R, Shanmugasundaram E, Babji S, Sommerfelt H, Vainio K, Kang G, Bhandari N. Effect of Withholding Breastfeeding on the Immune Response to a Live Oral Rotavirus Vaccine in North Indian Infants, Vaccine. 2014 Aug 11;32 Suppl 1:A134-9. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.04.078. PMID: 25091668
9) Henjum S, Manger M, Skeie E , Ulak M, Thorne-Lyman A, Chandyo R, Shrestha PS, Locks L, Ulvik R, Fawzi W, Strand TA Iron deficiency is uncommon among lactating women in urban Nepal, despite high risk of inadequate iron intake. Br J Nutr. 2014 Apr 8:1-10.
10)Ulak M, Chandyo RK, Adhikari RK, Sharma PR, Sommerfelt H, Refsum H, Strand TA, Cobalamin and folate status in 6 to 25 months old children presenting with diarrhea in Bhaktapur, Nepal. PLoS ONE 9(3): e90079. doi:10.1371/
11)Ellefsen S, Vikmoen O, Zacharoff E, Rauk I, Slettaløkken G, Strand TA, Whist JE, Hanestadhaug M, Vegge G, Fagernes CE, Nygaard H, Hollan I, Raastad T and Rønnestad BR Reliable determination of training-induced alterations in muscle fibre composition in human skeletal muscle using qPCR. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014 Feb 20. doi: 10.1111/sms.12185. PMID: 24924099
12)Kumar T, Taneja S, Mahesh M, Mohan S, Yajnik CS, Bhandari N, Strand TA. Prevalence and Predictors of Anemia in a Population of North Indian Children Nutrition. 2014 May;30(5):531-7db
13)Taneja S, Strand TA Kumar T, Mahesh M, Mohan S, Manger MS, Refsum H Yajnik CS, and Bhandari. Folic acid and vitamin B-12 supplementation and common infections in 6-30-mo-old children in India: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. AJCN 2013, 98(3), 731–737.
14) Kvestad I, Taneja S, Kumar T, Bhandari N, Strand TA, Hysing M. The assessment of developmental status using the Ages and Stages questionnaire-3 in nutritional research in north Indian young children. Nutrition J 23 April 2013
15)Bates M, Chandyo RK, Pokherel A, Vallentiner Branth P, Mathisen M, Basnet S, Shrestha P, Strand TA, Smith K Childhood pneumonia and household fuel use in Bhaktapur, Nepal. Environmental Health Perspectives 17 Mar 2013 PMID: 23512278
16)Strand TA, Taneja S , Refsum H, Ueland PM, Bahl R, Schneede J, Sommerfelt H, Bhandari N. "Cobalamin and Folate Status Predicts Mental Development Scores in North Indian Children 12 to 18 months of age." Am J Clin Nutr Jan. 2013. PMID: 23283502
17)Bhatnagar S, Wadhwa N, Aneja S, Lodha R, Kabra SK, Natchu UCM, Sommerfelt H, Dutta AK, Chandra J, Bimbadhar R, Sharma M, Sharma VK, Kumari M, and Strand TA, Zinc as adjunct treatment in infants 1 week up to 4 months of age with probable serious bacterial infection: a placebo-controlled randomized trial Lancet 2012; 379(9831); 2072-2078
18) Strand TA, Sharma PR, Gjessing, HK, Ulak, M, Chandyo, RK, Adhikari, RK and Sommerfelt H Risk factors for extended duration of acute diarrhea in young children. PLoS One 2012;7(5):e36436.
19)Bhandari N, Mazumder S, Taneja S, Dube B, Sommerfelt H, Strand TA The Effect of Implementation of the Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness (IMNCI) Program on Neonatal and Infant Mortality: A Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial. BMJ 2012;344:e1634
20)Basnet S, Shrestha PS, Sharma A, Mathisen M, Prasai R, Bhandari N, Adhikari RK, Sommerfelt H , Valentiner-Branth P and Strand TA. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Zinc as Adjuvant Therapy for Severe Pneumonia in Young children. Pediatrics (129:3:2012)
21)Ulak M, Chandyo RK, Mellander L, Shrestha PS, Strand TA, Infant feeding practices in Bhaktapur, Nepal: A cross-sectional, health facility based survey. Int Breastfeeding Journal 2012, 7:1
22)Mathisen M, Basnet S, Sharma A,. Shrestha PS, Sharma BN, Valentiner-Branth P, Sommerfelt H, Strand TA "RNA viruses in young Nepalese children hospitalized with severe pneumonia: J Ped Inf Dis Dec 2011
23)Manger MS, Taneja S, Strand TA, Bahl R, Sommerfelt H, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Schneede J, Bhandari N and Bhan MK Folate status predicts diarrheal morbidity in 6 – 30 month old north Indian children. J. Nutr. 2011 141: 2226-2232
24)Henjum S; Barikmo I; Strand TA; Oshaug A; Torheim LE. Iodine-induced goitre and high prevalence of anaemia among Saharawi refugee women. Public Health Nutr. Published online: Nov 07
25)Wadhwa N, Mouli UC, Sommerfelt H, Strand TA, Kapoor V, Bhatnagar S, Oral rehydration solution containing zinc does not reduce duration of acute diarrhea in hospitalized children: a randomized controlled study. J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 53, 1610 (2011)
26)Manger MS, Strand TA, Taneja S, Bahl R, Sommerfelt H, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Schneede J, Bhandari N and Bhan MK Cobalamin status modifies the effect of zinc supplementation on the incidence of prolonged diarrhea in 6-30 month old North Indian children: J Nutr (2011), April 27
27)Henjum S, Strand TA, Torheim LE, Oshaug A, Parr CL “Challenges of thyroid volume assessment by ultrasound under field conditions - measurement errors may affect prevalence estimates of goitre” Nutrition J 2010, 9:66 (14 December 2010)
28)Chandyo RK, Shrestha PS, Valentiner-Branth P, Mathisen M , Basnet S, Sommerfelt H, Adhikari RK, and Strand TA Efficacy Of Short Course Oral Zinc Given During Pneumonia On Subsequent Morbidity Among Young Children In Nepal J Nutr (2010) vol. 140 (9) pp. 1677-82
29)Valentiner-Branth P, Shrestha PS, Chandyo RK, Mathisen M, Basnet S, Bhandari N, Adhikari RK, Sommerfelt H, Strand TA.A randomized controlled trial of the effect of zinc as adjuvant therapy in children 2-35 months of age with severe or non-severe pneumonia in Bhaktapur, Nepal. Am J Clin Nutr Apr. 2010
30)Henjum S, Barikmo I, Gjerlaug AK, Merras LA, Oshaug A, Strand TA, Torheim LE. Endemic goiter and excessive iodine in urine and drinking water among Saharawi refugee children. Public Health Nutr. 2010 Apr 1:1-6
31)Mathisen M, Strand TA, Valentiner-Branth P, Sharma BN, Chandyo RK, Basnet S, Adhikari RK, Hvidsten D, Shrestha PS, Sommerfelt H.Respiratory viruses in Nepalese children with and without Pneumonia; a Case-Control study.: J Ped Inf Dis Mar 2010
32)Taneja S, Strand TA, Bhandari N, Sommerfelt H,Bahl R. Zinc supplementation for four months does not affect growth in young north Indian children. J Nutr (2010) vol. 140 (3) pp. 630-4
33)Mathisen M, Strand TA, Sharma BN, Chandyo RK, Valentiner-Branth P, Basnet S, Adhikari RK, Hvidsten D, Shrestha PS, Sommerfelt H.Clinical presentation and severity of viral community-acquired pneumonia in young Nepalese children. J Ped Inf Dis: 2010 Jan; 29(1): 1-6
34)Mathisen M, Strand TA, Sharma B, Chandyo R, Valentiner-Branth P, Basnet S, Adhikari R, Hvidsten D, Shrestha P, Sommerfelt H. RNA viruses in community-acquired childhood pneumonia in semi-urban Nepal; a cross-sectional study. BMC Medicine. 2009;7:35.
35)Chandyo RK, Strand TA, Mathisen M, Ulak M, Adhikari RK, Bolann BJ, et al. Zinc deficiency is common among healthy women of reproductive age in Bhaktapur, Nepal. J Nutr. 2009 Mar;139(3):594-7.
37)Taneja S, Bhandari N, Strand TA, Sommerfelt H, Refsum H, Ueland PM, et al. Cobalamin and folate status in infants and young children in a low-to-middle income community in India. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Nov;86(5):1302-9.
38)Strand TA, Taneja S, Bhandari N, Refsum H, Ueland PM, Schneede J, Bahl R, Bhan MK Sommerfelt H. Folate, but not Cobalamin Status Predicts Respiratory Morbidity in North Indian Children. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86: 139-44 2007
42)Robberstad B, Strand TA, Black RE and Sommerfelt H Cost-effectiveness of zinc as adjunct therapy for acute childhood diarrhea in developing countries. Bull. WHO. 2004;82:523-31
43)Strand TA, Adhikari RK, Chandyo RK, Sharma PR, Sommerfelt H. Predictors of plasma zinc concentrations in children with acute diarrhea. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79:451-6.
44)Strand TA, Aaberge IS, Maage A, Ulvestad E, Sommerfelt H. The Immune Response to Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine in Zinc-Depleted Mice. Scand J Immunol 2003;58:76-80.
45)Karlsen TH, Sommerfelt H, Klomstad S, Andersen PK, Strand TA, Ulvik RJ, Ahren C and Grewal HMS. Intestinal and Systemic Immune Responses to an Oral Cholera Toxoid B Subunit Whole-Cell Vaccine Administered during Zinc Supplementation. Infect Immun 2003;71:3909-13.
46)Strand TA, Hollingshead SK, Julshamn K, Briles DE, Blomberg B, Sommerfelt H. Effects of Zinc Deficiency and Pneumococcal Surface Protein A Immunization on Zinc Status and the Risk of Severe Infection in Mice. Infect Immun 2003;71:2009-2013.
47)Bahl R, Bhandari N, Saksena M, Strand TA, Kumar GT, Bhan MK, and Sommerfelt H. Efficacy of zinc-fortified oral rehydration solution in 6- to 35-month-old children with acute diarrhea. J Pediatr 2002;141(5):677-82.
48)Bhandari,N, Bahl R, Taneja S, Strand TA, Molbak K, Ulvik RJ, Sommerfelt H, and Bhan MK. 2002. Substantial reduction in severe diarrheal morbidity by daily zinc supplementation in young north Indian children. Pediatrics 109:e86.
49)Bhandari N, Bahl R, Taneja S, Strand TA, Molbak K, Ulvik RJ, Sommerfelt H, and Bhan MK. 2002. Effect of routine zinc supplementation on pneumonia in children aged 6 months to 3 years: randomised controlled trial in an urban slum. BMJ 324:1358.
50)Strand TA, Chandyo RK, Bahl R, Sharma PR, Adhikari RK, Bhandari N, Ulvik RJ, Mølbak K, Bhan MK, and Sommerfelt H. Effectiveness and efficacy of zinc for the treatment of acute diarrhea in young children. Pediatrics. 2002 May;109(5):898-903.
51)Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H, and Strand TA. 2001. Micronutrient Deficiency in Children. B J Nutr. 85; suppl no. 2; S199-S203
52)Strand TA, Briles DE, Gjessing HK, Maage A, Bhan MK, Sommerfelt H. 2001. Pneumococcal pulmonary infection, septicemia and survival in young zinc-depleted mice. B J Nutr. 86: 301-306.
Part of group authorships
1) The MAL-ED Study: A Multinational and Multidisciplinary Approach to Understand the Relationship Between Enteric Pathogens, Malnutrition, Gut Physiology, Physical Growth, Cognitive Development, and Immune Responses in Infants and Children Up to 2 Years of Age in Resource-Poor Environments.The MAL-ED Network Investigators;.Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;59(suppl 4):S193-S206.
2) Bhandari N, et al ; Efficacy of a monovalent human-bovine (116E) rotavirus vaccine in Indian children in the second year of life. Vaccine. 2014 Aug 11;32 Suppl 1:A110-6.
3) Pendergast LL, et al.; MAL-ED Network Investigators (2014). Postpartum depressive symptoms across time and place: structural invariance of the Self-Reporting Questionnaire among women from the international, multi-site MAL-ED study.J Affect Disord. 2014 Oct;167:178-86
4) Bhandari N, et al ; India Rotavirus Vaccine Group. Efficacy of a monovalent human-bovine (116E) rotavirus vaccine in Indian infants: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2014 Jun 21;383(9935):2136-43
5) Psaki, S. et al. (2012). Household food access and child malnutrition: results from the eight-country MAL-ED study. Population health metrics, 10(1), 24. doi:10.1186/1478-7954-10-24
6) Fontaine O. Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Clinical Course of Acute Diarrhoea, WHO Meeting Report, 2001 338 J Health Popul Nutr 2001 Dec;19(4):338-346
Dr. Med. (PhD), Medical Faculty, University of Bergen, 2003.
PhD Thesis: “Zinc and childhood infections – studies in mice and men” submitted May 23, 2003.
Internship (turnustjeneste) 1.1.1995-15.07.96: Lillehammer Hospital.
Cand. Med., Medical Faculty, University of Bergen. 1988- 94
Experimental epidemiology, human nutrition, infectious diseases, medical statistics, clinical trials, global health, child health, micronutrition, vitamins
- Rotavirus Vaccine Trials, bilateral competence building
- Routine administration of folic acid and vitamin B12 to prevent childhood infections.
- Case control study on viral etiology of community acquired pneumonia in 1400 Nepalese children.
- Micronutritional status in lactating women and breastfed babies in Nepal, a cross sectional survey.
- Prevalence of micronutrient deficiencies among women of reproductive age in Nepal.