My position since 2013 is as an appointed professor emeritus at the University of Bergen, Norway, which makes it possible for me to pursue my research interests with the support of this university’s research infra-structure. Over the years, I have been lucky enough to in large measure devote myself to research activities. A major part of my professional life has been as the leader of research institutions. While on leave from the University of Stockholm, I was for four years a Research Director in the Ministry of Labor’s research unit, Sweden. This unit was transferred to the University of Stockholm in 1983, and notwithstanding several long appointments abroad, I remained in this position until 1996, when I was invited to lead the establishment of a research institute at the University of Bergen.
In my research, I have always tried myself towards theoretically interesting issues, but always with an empirical backing. In terms of substantive fields, I have dealt with First Nations in Canada and their relationship to the surrounding society, development theory, natural resources, sports, European migration issues of a wide variety, and epistemology.
A major intellectual focus in my present research is a re-interpretation of the relationship between First Nations in Canada and the rest of Canadian society.
- (2011). Stationarity and non-stationarity in immigrant problem discourse : the politics of migrant youth. Nordic Journal of Migration Research. 37-42.
- (2010). The holistic ambition: Social cohesion and the culturalization of citizenship. Ethnicities. 488-502.
- (2005). Norway - Towards Diversity? Theme issue on Multucultural Approaches to Pluralism. Bader. V. Ed. Canadian multiculturalism, issues and trends.
- (2004). When Researchers Disagree: Epistemology, Multiculturalism, and the State. Ethnicities. 155-184.
- (2004). Wars, Europe, and Visions of the World. Social Analysis: The International Journal of Anthropology.
- (2004). Anthropologists on Home Turf: How Green is the Grass? Anthropologica.
- (2011). The Integration-Citizenship-SocialCohesion Nexus. .
- (2011). Evaluation of existing sociology and anthropology doctoral programs in Romania (Lithman's contribution being one part of the final report). .
- (2008). Research Program for the Canadian Truth and Reconcilation Commission. .
- (2005). Field Testing of Residential School Settlement. .
- (2005). Enhancing First Nation Research Capacity. .
- (2006). Kosmopolitik.
- (2006). Fotbollssupportrar.
- (2006). Europa och invandringen.
- (2012). Post-Breivik Reflections: Norwegian and European multicultural Debates in a comparative Perspective.
- (2011). The European Imagination: Contextual and Meta-Contextual Idioms of Shared Understandings.
- (2011). Synthesising comprison of multiculturalism in the Nordic Countries.
- (2011). Principles in evaluating the scholarly environment for doctoral studies.
- (2011). De-etatizing the State: "Erklären" and "Verstehen" in a (somewhat) flatter World.
- (2010). Welcome speech: the role of the disciplinary organizations.
- (2010). Resource Person.
- (2010). Reflections on how the European national holistic ambitions reflect on integration processes.
- (2010). Notions of First Generation Nationals as a politically non-stationary process.
- (2010). Miggration, ungdom, socialt arbete.
- (2008). Where are the Determinants in Scandinavian Ethnic Integration regimes?
- (2008). Varieties in the Scandinavian intenration/assimilation regimes.
- (2008). Public opinions and perceptions, and the role of policy.
- (2008). Nationalism, Chrystallization: Observations from Scandinavia.
- (2008). National Perspectives on Convergence and Divergence: National Perspectives on Integration.
- (2008). Epistemological Challenges in Eurosphere research.
- (2006). Universities and Citizenship.
- (2006). Om Durkheim haft en dator - begreppsbildning i mångfaldssamhället.
- (2005). Why Culturological Explanations? Reflections on the van Gogh murder.
- (2005). Varieties of Diversity.
- (2005). The Research and Policy Nexus.
- (2005). Path Dependence in Shaping the Place for Immigrants in Cities.
- (2004). The Cultural Construction of Nationalisms.
- (2004). Radical Transnationalism. Subplenary lecture.
- (2004). Goldfinger and van Gogh - The Contemporary Context for European Citizenship.
- (2004). Commentary, workshop on Locality.
- (2004). Citizenship and Modes of Belonging in the Diverse City: European Challenges. Key Note lecture - The Willy Brandt Guest professorship Conference.
- (2016). Review of Sindre Bangstad "Anders Breivik and the Rise of Islamophobia". American Anthropologist. 647-648.
- (2006). What happens when a society is diverse? Exploring multidimensional identities. Edwin Mellen Press.
- (2005). Youth, Otherness and the Plural City. Modes of Belonging and Social Life. Daidalos.
- (2005). Changing the Basis of Citizenship in the Modern State. Political Theory and the Politics of Diversity. Edwin Mellen Press.
- (2004). Wars, Europe, and Visions of the World. (Edited republication of article in Social Analysis 2004.). Berghahn Books.
- (2004). The Cultural Construction of Nationalisms. I: When Society is Diverse - Exploring Multicultural Identities. Edwin Mellen Press.
- (2005). Asylpolitikken i media: Konstuksjonen av asylsøkere som et nasjonalt problem.
- (2009). Territorialisert menneskelighet Sosiologiske refleksjoner over asylinstituttet og det nakne livet.
- (2009). "Kanskje jeg kan drible flere nordmenn" Om to innvandrerlag og deres spilleres forhold til den norske fotballen.
- (2008). Kvinnelig omskjæring i "vår" nærhet En kritisk diskursanalyse av norsk mediedynamikk og identitetskonstruksjon.
- (2007). The local in the global Ulike aspekter ved Ahmadiyya pakistaneres hverdagsliv i Kristiansand.
- (2005). Diversity, Togetherness and a Society in Change. NFRs websider. 15 pages.
- (2010). Sorteringssamfunnet.
- (2005). Vergensborgere i opprør.
- (2005). Verdensborgere i opprør.
- (2013). Norwegian Multicultural Debates in a Scandinavian Comparative Perspective. 24 pages.
- (2006). McJihad: Globalization, racial transnationalism, and terrorism of the diaspora. 26 pages.
- (2006). Diversity and Multidimensional Identities. 12 pages.
- (2005). Theorizing Identity Politics, Belonging Modes and Citizenship. 29 pages.
- (2005). The Social, The Cultural, The Aestetic: Modes of Belonging among Migrant Youth.
- (2005). The Cultural Construction of Nationalisms. Nation, Person, Time and Territory in First Nation – White Relationships in Canada. 33 pages.
- (2005). Politics of Identity, Modes of Belonging and Citizenship. An Overview of the Conceptual and Theoretical Challenges. 36 pages.
- (2005). Introduction. 18 pages.
- (2008). Citizenship and Multiculturalism in Norway. Canadian Diversity.
- (2005). Norwegian Multiculturalism. Canadian Diversity.
With the exception of books, the following list of publications only contains works from 1996 onwards. Only items related to academic research are included (as a rule not newspaper articles, book reviews, etc.; only a few consultancy of more direct research interest have been included). The list may not be complete, nor does it contain works awaiting publication. Inconsequential mistakes, such as year of publication, may exist. The list may not be complete.
Books, during my time in Bergen:
What happens when a Society is Diverse? Exploring Multicultural Identities. Ed. tog. w. H. Sicakkan. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
Youth, Otherness and the Plural City: Modes of Belonging and Social Life. Ed.tog. w. Mette Andersson and O. Rontsröm . Stockholm: Daedalus.
Changing the Basis of Citizenship in the Modern State. Editor tog.w. Hakan Sicakkan. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
Diversity and Citizenship: The European Union, Citizens, Minorities, and
Migrants. Co-editor and co-author with Hakan Sicakkan. Bergen: Brik.
People and Land in Northern Manitoba. Winnipeg, Mb: Anthropological Papers from the University of Manitoba, nbr 32. (editor w. others)
(editor with Tomas Gerholm) The New Islamic Presence in Western Europe. London: Mansell's. Paperback edition 1990, and later editions.
Nybyggarna i Sverige: Invandring och Andrageneration. (Settlers in Sweden: Immigration and Second Generation.) Stockholm: Carlssons förlag. (Editor and author of three chapters.)
The Practice of Underdevelopment and the Theory of Development: The Canadian Indian Case. Stockholm: Stockholm Studies in Social Anthropology nbr.11
The Community Apart: A Case Study of a Canadian Indian Reserve Community. Stockholm: Stockholm Studies in Social Anthropology nr. 6. (Slightly revised also issued in 1984 by the University of Manitoba Press, second printing 1985, and later printing.)
Articles, chapters in books
Stationarity and Non-Stationarity in Immigrant Problem Discourse: The Politics of Migrant Youth. Nordic Journal of Migration Research 1:1.
The Integration-Citizenship-Social Cohesion Nexus. Eurosphere Working Paper Series, On-line Working Paper nbr. 36.
The Holistic Ambition: Social Cohesion and the Culturalization of Citizenship. Ethnicities 10:4.
Varieties in the Scandinavian welfare-assimilation-integration regimes.
Citizenship and Multiculturalism in Norway. Canadian Diversity 6:4.
Multiculturalism in Norway. Canadian Diversity 5:2.
Diversity and Multidimensional Identities. In Sicakkan, Hakan G. & Yngve G. Lithman (eds.) What Happens When the Society is Diverse? Exploring Multidimensional Identitites. New York: Edwin Mellen Press. Co-author with Hakan G. Sicakkan.
Politics of identity, modes of belonging and citizenship: an overview of conceptual and theoretical challenges. (w. H. Sicakkan.) In Sicakkan, Hakan G. & Yngve Lithman (eds.) What Happens When the Society is Diverse? Exploring Multidimensional Identities. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
McJihad: Globalization, Radical Transnationalism, and Terrorism of the Diaspora. In Sicakkan, Hakan G. & Yngve Lithman (eds.) What Happens When the Society is Diverse? Exploring Multidimensional Identities. New York: Edwin Melle Press.
The Cultural Constructions of Nationalisms. Nation, Person, Time and Territory in First Nation - White Realtionships in Canada. In Sicakkan, Hakan G. & Yngve G. Lithman (eds.) Changing the Basis of Citizenship in the Modern State. Political Theory and the Politics of Diversity. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
The Social, the Cultural, the Aesthetic: Modes of Belonging among Migrant Youth. In Mette Andersson, Yngve Lithman & Ove Sernhede (eds.) Youth, Otherness, and the Plural City: Modes of Belonging and Social Life. Gothenburg: Daidalos.
Introduction. In Mette Andersson, Yngve Lithman & Ove Sernhede (eds.) Youth, Otherness, and the Plural City: Modes of Belonging and Social Life. Gothenburg: Daidalos.
Europe, Wars, and Visions of the Future. Social Analysis 2004:2.
Anthropologists on Home Turf: How Green is the Grass? Anthropologica 2004:2
When Researchers Disagree: Epistemology, Multiculturalism, Universities, and the State. Ethnicities 4(2).
Disconnecting Place. Contribution to the European Association of Social Anthropologists Triannual Conference. Vienna, Sept. 8-12. Published in Proceedings.
Citizenship and Modes of Belonging: European Challenges. MIMER/Willy Brandt Working Paper. Malmö University.
Epistemology and Multiculturalism. In: Austrian Sociological Association, Proceedings from the 2003 Congress “Integrating Europe”. Vienna: ÖSV, http:www. Oegs.ac.at/files/paper/Lithman Notes.doc
Terrorism in and of the Diaspora. Sydney & Canberra: Australian National University, Europe Study Centre Technical Paper No 71-
Radical Transnationalism and Terrorism of the Diaspora. I: Cesari, J., ed., European Muslims and the Secular State in a Comparative Perspective. Paris: G.S.R.L. (CNRS & Ecole des Haut. Etudes).
Reflections on the Social and Cultural Dimensions of Children’s Elite Sport in Sweden. In: Dyck, N., ed., Games, Sports and Cultures. Oxford: Berg
Lithman, Y, Trond Petersen & Björg Aase Sörensen, Mellom faktiske ogForestilte forskjeller: synlige minoriteter på arbeidsmarkedet. Norsk Tidskrift for migrasjonsforskning. 2001:1.
Invandrarungdom och det omgivande samhället (Immigrant Youth and the Surrounding Society). In: Utenfra, men hjemme: invandrarungdom i storbyn. Oslo: Norges Forskningsråd.
Review of Beiser, M. Strangers at the Gate. Journal of International Migration and Integration, JIMI I:1,144-145.
2000 Mötet: Perspektiv på relationen mellan invandrare och sjukvård och socialtjænst. (The Meeting. Perspectives on the Relation between Immigrants and Health Care and Social Service Systems.) IMER/Bergen Occasional Paper 18.
Spatial Concentration and Mobility, In From Metropolis to Cosmopolis,Hjaernö,J. (Ed), Esbjerg: South Jutland Press.
Review of MacClancy, J. Sport, Identity, Ethnicity. Ethnos 1999:3-4
Evaluering av Dansk Center for Migration og Etniske Studier (DAMES). København: Dansk forskningsråd.
III.231998 Spatial Segregation in the Plural City. In Abu‑Laban, B & Derwing, T. (eds.) Responding to Diversity in the Metropolis: Building an Inclusive Research Agenda. Edmonton: PCERII. 1999 Review of Jarvenpaa, R. Northern Passage. Ethnos 199:3-4.III.24 1999 Review of Jarvenpaa, R. Northern Passage. Ethnos 199:3‑4.
Spatial Segregation in the Plural City. In: Abu-Laban, B. & Derwing, T. (eds) Responding to Diversity in the Metropolis: Building an Inclusive Research Agenda. Edmonton: PCERII.
Equality and Exclusion: Global, National and Local Research Challenges. In Knudsen, J.C. ed., Equality and Exclusion. Köpenhamn: Nordiska Ministerrådet, TEMA NORD.
Managing Diversity: Issues of Equity and Access. In: Lombardi, M., Metropolis. Aquaderni I.S.MU 6/1997, Milan: Fondazione Cariplo.
The Feathers of a Bird and the Frosts of Winter: Portability of Treaty Rights in an Era of Restraint and Offloading. A Research Report for the Royal Commission for Aboriginal Peoples. RCAP:Ottawa.
Fyra processer styr segregationen. Byggforskning 1996:4.
Segregation och livsstil. Bofast 1996:10.
Notions of Nation and the Politics of Meaning: Discourses about Sweden and the Others. In: Aase. T.H., ed. Metodologiske Tillnaermingen til studiet av fordommer og discriminering. Oslo: Norges Forskningsråd.
L’avenir au présent: le développement comme routine. In Fino, D. (Ed.) Impasse et promesses: L’ambiguité de la coopération au développement. Paris: PUF,Collection Enjeux.
Andragenerationens kulturella kreativitet. Fataburen1966.
Additional information about my work at IMER/UiB
My work as Director of IMER/UiB has involved a variety of tasks. In addition to my own research, initiating, managing, and being an active researcher in several large research projects have been important tasks, as has been to organize seminar series, workshops, conferences, book projects, workshops, supervision of doctoral projects, etc. Seven of “my” doctoral students are now full professors. The focus of my activities has been to build an internationally competitive research capacity at UiB. In addition to a number of grants from the Norwegian Research Council, and several other contributors, two projects under my name have been funded by the EU, Glocalmig (app. 220’ Euros) and Eurosphere (app. 4.2 mill. Euros). The total external grant research funding for IMER/UiB during my time has been app. 80 mill. NKR.
As selected examples of my activities can be mentioned:
- In 2012, I was one of the international evaluators of Portuguese social research.
- In 2010, I was one of the two international commissioners evaluating PhD social science programs in Rumania.
- In 1986-1990, I was an elected member of the board of the International Sociological Associations Research Group nr. 05, Ethnic, Race and Minority Relations.
- In 1996, I was a founding member of the International Metropolis and has since until me retirement been a member of International Steering Committee.
- I have been faculty advisor for promotions to professorships in e.g. Uppsala, Toronto, Vancouver, Roskilde, Oslo, Stockholm, Malmö, Roskilde, Copenhagen.
- I have given invited lectures in some fifteen countries.
- I am and have been a reviewer for numerous social science journals (e.g. Sociology, Ethnos, Ethnicities, JIMI, Anthropological Theory) .
- I was a founding member of Nordic Migration Research Network.
- In 2002, I was co-organizer (with E. Haagensen) and responsible for the scientific content of the 7th International Metropolis Annual Conference in Oslo.
- In 1996, a was one of the founding members of Metropolis International, and has since been on the Steering Committee for this organization.
- In 2007, I was the organizer of the 13th Nordic Migration Researchers Tri-annual Conference in Bergen.
- The Danish Research Council’s evaluator of the DAMID research program in Esbjerg 1999-2000..
- Developed a research program for the Canadian Residential Residential School Truth and Reconcilation Commission, 2008.
- For the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Affairs, Canada, I did one study of treaty rights and urban reserves, and was co-author in another on some aboriginal health issues.
- In 1979, I did a study for the Canadian Government, DIAND, of Yukon aboriginal settlements in the context of future pipeline developments; this task involved an 8-month field work.
- Intermittent advisory work for AFN National Chief Philip Fontaine. My work with AFN also included writing reports and participation in issues related to the residential boarding school issue and developing a research capacity in AFN.
- I have had various consulting work for among others the EU, OECD, Council for Europe, Canadian government.
- A very formative experience was working as a special advisor for 15 months, 1972-1973, for the Fort Alexander (now Sagkeeng) First Nation, Manitoba, Canada.
Academic positions etc.:2013 Professor emeritus, University of Bergen, Norway. 2006 Honorary appointment to the category “Staff and Friends” of the Shingwauk Kinoomaage Gamig Centre for Excellence in Anishinaabe Education. Sault St Marie and Garden River FN. 2002/2003 Invited International Visiting Scholar, University of Calgary, invited by the Office of the Vice President Academic 2000 Killam Visiting Scholar, University of Calgary, Winter term. 1999 Killam Fellow. (life time – six Canadian universities can each nominate one V 1999
International Associate, Centre for Urban and Community
Studies Goldsmiths College, London. (current) 1999 Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Bergen. 1996 Director of the University of Bergen research Center-unit on International Migration and Ethnic Relations, IMER Norway/Bergen. 1992-1995 Visiting professor, Natural Resources Institute, University of Manitoba, invited by Prof. Fikret Berkes. 1989-1990 Invited Visiting Professor, Department of Anthropology, University of Manitoba 1987 Research Fellow (January-June), University College, London. 1982 Research professorship, tenured, and vice chairman, Centre for Research in International Migration and Ethnicity, CEIFO, University of Stockholm. 1979 Senior researcher and research director, Swedish commission on Immigration research (EIFO). 1978 Tenured position as Assistant professor (“universitetslektor”), Department of Social Anthropology, University of Stockholm 1978 PHD, Stockhol University, Social Anthropology, Stockholm University 1975 Assistant professor (“universitetslektor”), University of Stockholm.