Peer-reviewed publications from Global Health Priorities Research Group
- Miljeteig I, Berhane Defaye F, Wakim P, Neema Desalegn D, Berhane Y, Norheim OF, Danis M. (2019). Financial risk protection at the bedside: How Ethiopian physicians try to minimize out-of-pocket health expenditures. PLOS ONE 14(2).
- Nkosi-Gondwe T, Robberstad B, Blomberg B, Phiri KS, Lange S. 2018. Introducing post-discharge malaria chemoprevention (PMC) for management of severe anemia in Malawian children: a qualitative study of community health workers' perceptions and motivation. BMC Health Services Research 18:984
- Hailu A, Lindtjørn B, Deressa W, Gari T, Loha E & Robberstad B. (2018). Cost-effectiveness of a combined intervention of long lasting insecticidal nets and indoor residual spraying compared with each intervention alone for malaria prevention in Ethiopia. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation, 16(1), 61.
- Binyaruka P, Robberstad B, Torsvik G & Borghi J. (2018). Does payment for performance increase performance inequalities across health providers? A case study of Tanzania. Health policy and planning, 33(9), 1026-1036.
- Onarheim, K. H., Melberg, A., Meier, B. M., & Miljeteig, I. (2018). Towards universal health coverage: including undocumented migrants. BMJ Global Health, 3(5), e001031.
- Ives J, Dunn M, Molewijk B, Schildmann J, Bærøe K, et al. Standards of practice in empirical bioethics research: toward a consensus. BMC Medical Ethics 2018, 19:85, DOI: 10.1186/s12910-018-0304-3
- Tranvåg EJ, Norheim OF, Ottersen T. Clinical decision making in cancer care: a review of current and future roles of patient age. BMC Cancer 2018, 18:546, DOI: 10.1186/s12885-018-4456-9
- Onarheim KH, Sisay MM, Muluken G, Moland KM, Norheim OF, Miljeteig I. Selling my sheep to pay for medicines – household priorities and coping strategies in a setting without universal health coverage. BMC Health Services Research, 2018, 18:153, DOI: 10.1186/s12913-018-2943-
- Magelssen M, Miljeteig I, Pedersen R, Førde R. Roles and responsibilities of clinical ethics committees in priority setting.BMC Medical Ethics 18 (1), 68, 2017, DOI: 10.1186/s12910-017-0226-5
- Svege S, B Kaunda, B Robberstad, TN Gondwe, KS Phiri and S Lange. Post-discharge malaria chemoprevention (PMC) in: caregivers` acceptance and preferences with regard to delivery methods. BMC Health Services Research (2018) 18:544
- Loaiza OR, Morales S, Norheim OF, Wilson BM. Revisiting Health Rights Litigation and Access to Medications in Costa Rica: Preliminary Evidence from the Cochrane Collaboration Reform. Health and human rights. 2018; 20(1):79-91. PubMed [journal] PMID: 30008554, PMCID: PMC6039739.
- Solberg CT, Norheim OF, Barra M. The disvalue of death in the global burden of disease. Journal of medical ethics. 2018; 44(3):192-198. PubMed [journal] PMID:29079556, PMCID: PMC5869483.
- Ottersen T, Grépin KA, Henderson K, Pinkstaff CB, Norheim OF, Røttingen JA. New approaches to ranking countries for the allocation of development assistance for health: choices, indicators and implications. Health policy and planning. 2018;33(suppl_1):i31-i46. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29415238, PMCID: PMC5886059.
- Grépin KA, Pinkstaff CB, Hole AR, Henderson K, Norheim OF, Røttingen JA, Ottersen T. Allocating external financing for health: a discrete choice experiment of stakeholder preferences. Health policy and planning. 2018; 33(suppl_1):i24-i30. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29415237, PMCID: PMC5886273.
- Venkateswaran M, Mørkrid K, Ghanem B, Abbas E, Abuward I, Baniode M, Norheim OF, Frøen JF. eRegQual-an electronic health registry with interactive checklists and clinical decision support for improving quality of antenatal care: study protocol for a cluster randomized trial. Trials. 2018; 19(1):54. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29357912, PMCID: PMC5778657.
- Binyaruka P, B Robberstad, G Torsvik and J Borghi. Who benefits from increased service utilisation? Examining the distributional effects of payment for performance in Tanzania. Int J Equity Health. 2018;17(1):14.
- Skaftun EK, Verguet S, Norheim OF, Johansson KA. Geographic health inequalities in Norway: A Gini analysis of cross-county differences in mortality from 1980 to 2014, Journal for Equity in Health (2018) 17:64
- Dawkins B, Mirelman AJ, Asaria M, Johansson KA, Cookson R. Distributional cost-effectiveness analysis in low- and middle-income countries: illustrative example of rotavirus vaccination in Ethiopia, Health Policy and Planning. 2018; 1-8. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czx175
- Andersson AK, Johansson KA. Substituted decision making and the dispositional choice account, Journal of Medical Ethis, 2018; http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/medethics-2016-103672
- Bærøe, K. Styringstiltak og rettferdighet i helse- og omsorgstjenesten: samspill og spenninger, Tidsskrift for omsorgsforskning, 2 (4), 2018
- Jansen, M. P. M., Baltussen, R., & Bærøe, K. (2018). Stakeholder Participation for Legitimate Priority Setting: A Checklist. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, http://www.ijhpm.com/article_3514.html
- Bærøe, K. (2018). On Fundamental Premises for Addressing “Context” and “Contextual Factors” Influencing Value Decisions in Healthcare; Comment on “Contextual Factors Influencing Cost and Quality Decisions in Health and Care: A Structured Evidence Review and Narrative Synthesis”. International Journal of Health Policy and Management,7(10); 958-960
- Wester, G., Bærøe, K., & Norheim, O. F. (2018). Towards theoretically robust evidence on health equity: a systematic approach to contextualising equity-relevant randomised controlled trials. Journal of Medical Ethics. doi: 10.1136/medethics-2017-104610
- Arnesen, S, Bærøe K, Cappelen C, Carlsen B: Could information about herd immunity help us achieve herd immunity? Evidence from a population representative survey experiment, Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494818770298
- Melberg A, Onarheim KH, Spjeldnæs AO, Miljeteig I. Towards universal health coverage for undocumented migrants? Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2017 Dec 20;137(1). doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.17.0683. Print 2018 Jan 9
- Onarheim KH, Norheim OF, Miljeteig I.Newborn health benefits or financial risk protection? An ethical analysis of a real-life dilemma in a setting without universal health coverage.J Med Ethics. 2018 Aug;44/8):524-530.
- Magelssen M, Miljeteig I, Pedersen R, Førde R. Roles and responsibilities of clinical ethics committees in priority setting.BMC Medical Ethics 18 (1), 68, 2017, DOI: 10.1186/s12910-017-0226-
- Grépin KA, Pinkstaff CB, Hole AR, Henderson K, Norheim OF, Røttingen JA, Ottersen T. Allocating external financing for health: a discrete choice experiment of stakeholder preferences. Health policy and planning. 2018 Feb 1;33(suppl_1):i24-30.
Bringedal, Berit and Kristine Bærøe: Commentary to ‘Social Health Disparities in Clinical Care: A New Approach to Medical Fairness’ by Puschel, Furlan and Dekkers. Public Health Ethics (2017) 10(1): 86-89.Magelssen M, Miljeteig I, Pedersen R, Førde R. Roles and responsibilities of clinical ethics committees in priority setting. BMC Medical Ethics 18 (1), 68, 2017, DOI: 10.1186/s12910-017-0226-5.
Onarheim KH, Sisay MM, Gizaw M, Moland KM, Miljeteig I. What if the baby doesn't survive? Health-care decision making for ill newborns in Ethiopia. Social Science & Medicine. 2017 Nov 2.
Solberg CT, Norheim OF, Barra M. The disvalue of death in the global burden of disease. Journal of Medical Ethics. 2017 Oct 27:medethics-2017.
Hailu A, Lindtjørn B, Deressa W, Gari T, Loha E, Robberstad B. Economic burden of malaria and predictors of cost variability to rural households in south-central Ethiopia. PloS one. 2017 Oct 11;12(10):e0185315.
Ngalesoni F, Ruhago G, Mayige M, Oliveira TC, Robberstad B, Norheim OF, Higashi H. Cost-effectiveness analysis of population-based tobacco control strategies in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases in Tanzania. PloS one. 2017 Aug 2;12(8):e0182113.
Lindemark F, Haaland ØA, Kvåle R, Flaatten H, Norheim OF, Johansson KA. Costs and expected gain in lifetime health from intensive care versus general ward care of 30,712 individual patients: a distribution-weighted cost-effectiveness analysis. Critical Care. 2017 Aug 21;21(1):220
Jull J et al (Robberstad B and Norheim OF co-authors). When is a randomised controlled trial health equity relevant? Development and validation of a conceptual framework. BMJ open. 2017 Sep 1;7(9):e015815.
Aidem JM. Stakeholder views on criteria and processes for priority setting in Norway: a qualitative study. Health Policy. 2017 Jun 30;121(6):683-90.
Johansson, KA, Nygaard, E, Herlofsen, B, & Lindemark, F. (2017). Implementation of the 2013 amended Patients’ Rights Act in Norway: Clinical priority guidelines and access to specialised health care. Health Policy.
Cookson, R, Mirelman, AJ, Griffin, S, Asaria, M, Dawkins, B, Norheim, OF, Verguet, S and Culyer, AJ, 2017. Using cost-effectiveness analysis to address health equity concerns. Value in Health, 20(2), pp.206-212.
Memirie, ST, Metaferia, ZS, Norheim, OF, Levin, CE, Verguet, S, & Johansson, KA. (2017). Household expenditures on pneumonia and diarrhoea treatment in Ethiopia: a facility-based study. BMJ Global Health, 2(1), e000166.
Onarheim, K. H., Taddesse, M, Norheim OF, Abdullah M, Miljeteig I (2015). Towards universal health coverage for reproductive health services in Ethiopia: two policy recommendations. Int J Equity Health; 14:86.
Johansson KA, Memirie ST, Pecenka C, Jamison DT, Verguet S (2015) Health Gains and Financial Protection from Pneumococcal Vaccination and Pneumonia Treatment in Ethiopia: Results from an Extended Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0142691.
Ruhago, GM, FN Ngalesoni, B Robberstad and OF Norheim. Cost-effectiveness of live oral attenuated human rotavirus vaccine in Tanzania. BMC Cost-Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 2015, 13:7. DOI: 10.1186/s12962-015-0033-0.
Mazalale, J., C Kambala, S Brenner, J Chinkhumba, J Lohmann, D Mathanga, B Robberstad, AS Muula and M de Allegri (2015). Factors associated with delivery outside a health facility: cross-sectional study in rural Malawi. Trop Med Int Health 20(5): 617-626
Chola, L., LT Fadnes, IMS Engebretsen, L Nkonki, V Nankabirwa, H Sommerfelt, JK Tumwine, T Tylleskar and B Robberstad (2015). Cost-Effectiveness of Peer Counselling for the Promotion of Exclusive Breastfeeding in Uganda. PLoS One 10(11): e0142718.
Mori AT, Norheim OF, Robberstad B. Budget Impact Analysis of Using Dihydroartemisinin-Piperaquine to Treat Uncomplicated Malaria in Children in Tanzania. Pharmacoeconomics 2015.
Wisloff, T. and B. Robberstad (2015). Re: Markov-modellering. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 135(16): 1432.
Robberstad. Alder og alvor (Age and severity of disease). Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2015 Aug 11; 1376 – 1378.
Tranvåg EJ, Nygaard E, Norheim OF. Hvordan påvirker prioriteringsvilkårene rettighetstildelingen i Helsedirektoratets prioriteringsveiledere? Michael 2015; 12: 416–27.
Norheim OF. Ethical perspective: five unacceptable trade-offs on the path to universal health coverage. Int J Health Policy Manag. 2015;4(11):711–714. doi:10.15171/ijhpm.2015.184
Bærøe K. "Institutional framework", chapter in "Etisk skjønn i forskning" Fossheim, H. and H. C. Ingierd (Red.). [Oslo, 2015], Universitetsforlaget: 126 s.
Strand, K. B., Chisholm, D., Fekadu, A., & Johansson, K. A. (2015). Scaling-up essential neuropsychiatric services in Ethiopia: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Health Policy and Planning. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czv093
Defaye, F., D. Desalegn, M. Danis, S. Hurst, Y. Berhane, O. Norheim and I. Miljeteig (2015). "A survey of Ethiopian physicians' experiences of bedside rationing: extensive resource scarcity, tough decisions and adverse consequence BMC Health Services Research 15(1): 467.
Bærøe K, Cappelen C. Phase-dependent justification: the role of personal responsibility in fair healthcare. J Med Ethics 2015;41:836-840, October 1, 2015 (10.1136/medethics-2014-102645).
Hoffman SJ, Ottersen T. Addressing Antibiotic Resistance Requires Robust International Accountability Mechanisms. J Law Med Ethics 2015; 43 Suppl 3: 53-64.
Wester G. Conscientious Objection by Health Care Professionals. Philosophy Compass 2015; 10: 427-37.
Voigt K, Wester G. RELATIONAL EQUALITY AND HEALTH. Social Philosophy and Policy 2015; 31: 204-29.
Lindemark F, Haaland ØA, Kvåle R, Flaatten H, Johansson KA (2015) Age, Risk, and Life Expectancy in Norwegian Intensive Care: A Registry-Based Population Modelling Study. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0125907. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0125907
Pecenka CJ, Johansson KA, Memirie ST, et al. Health gains and financial risk protection: an extended cost-effectiveness analysis of treatment and prevention of diarrhoea in Ethiopia. BMJ Open 2015; 5: e006402.
Asada, Y., Hurley, J., Norheim, O. F., & Johri, M. (2015). Unexplained health inequality–is it unfair?. International journal for equity in health, 14(1), 11.
Stephan Verguet et al. (Dawit Desalegn, Kjell Arne Johansson, Solomon Tessema Memmirie among several co authors) Health gains and financial risk protection afforded by public financing of selected interventions in Ethiopia: an extended cost-effectiveness analysis. The Lancet Global Health, Volume 3, Issue 5, e288 - e29.