Picture: The picture shows Norwegian sailors in Africa, most probably South-Africa. The second person from right is skipper Petter Maldus Danielsen (1873-1951) from Svinør in the county of West-Agder. The illustration is taken from Guldbrandsen, Ågot and Fardal Klev, Ådne, Svinør. Ryggen til Norge - Blikket mot havet, 1997.
About the group
The research group was established in 2008 and represents one of seven research groups at the Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion at the University of Bergen. The members of the group are engaged in research on various aspects of transnational nexus and interaction.
This includes transactions and exchange of goods and services, the movement of people and transfer of culture and ideas. In short, we are looking at historical and cultural processes in the 19th – 21st centuries that expedite as well as halts, and that are causes as well as consequences of internationalisation.
A Transnational Media History of the Boxer War
Program spring 2020
Fridays, 10:15 a.m. – 12.00; Room: Seminarrom L, Sydneshaugen skole
Main Topic: Research Perspectives on Transnational History
31. 01. 2020 - Thoralf Klein (Loughborough University): A Transnational Media History of the Boxer War
21. 02. 2020 – Jan Ifversen (Aarhus University): What is Interculturality?
20. 03. 2020 – Hanne Hagtvedt Vik (UiO): Transnational Dimensions of Human Rights Policies in Norway/Scandinavia
17. 04. 2019 – Kiran Klaus Patel (LMU München): Mapping the Spatial Contours of Transnational Political Activism during the Long 1970s: A Research Agenda
24. 04. 2020 - Marten Boon (NTNU): The Concept of Transnational Business History
08. 05. 2020 - Madeleine Herren-Oesch (University of Basel): The Concept of a Global History of Europe
19. 06. 2020 - Roland Wenzlhuemer (LMU München): The Emergence of Global Communication Networks in 19th-Century Maritime History