Program Autumn 2011
The Centre for Middle Eastern Studies will in the autumn of 2011 organize a number of seminars, workshops and guest lectures
Seminar series "Regime change in the Middle East"
- 8.9: Bjørn Olav Utvik, Universitetet i Oslo, ”Islamistenes rolle i det nye Midtøsten”
- 13.10: Kjetil Selvik, FAFO / Univ. i Oslo, "Culture, Class, and Sectarianism in the Syrian Revolution"
- 14.10: Paul Wilson, Tunis, "Regime change in Tunisia: A first hand observation"
- 28.10: Meeting with Sidi Mohammed Daddach, Western Sahara: "Human rights in the occupied Western Sahara"
- 1.11: Daniel Varisco & Najwa Adra, Hofstra / NY, ”Yemen: The Fall of the Arab Spring” (Seminar Room 1, AHKR)
- 22.9: Hani Hayajneh, Yarmouk University, ”Cultural and linguistic insights into the epigraphical heritage of Pre-Islamic North Arabia”
- 3-4.10: Norman Yoffee, University of Michigan, ”Early Cities and the evolution of history", "Questioning collapse” and ”Nuns, priestesses, and prostitutes in Babylonia”
- 21.10: Anne Regourd, Paris, "Safeguarding endangered private libraries of manuscripts: A focus on Zabid in Yemen"
- 2.11: Daniel Varisco, ”Anthropology, anthropologies; Islam, islams: Fields in Flux” (Aud. E, Sydneshaugen)
Seminars / workshops
- 20.9: Hollow Land: Landscape, Politics, Memory
(Joe Sacco, WJT Mitchell, Eyal Weizmann i.a. "Egget", Student Centre / Landmark. Arr. w/Nomadikon)
- 6.10: Conceptualising Sites of Displacement
(Merrill Smith, Martin L Pedersen, Ismael Sh Hassan, i.a. The Library, Bergen Resource Centre)
- 3-4.11: Representing Islam: What is the future of the study of Islam?
- 10-11.11: Politics of welfare in Muslim societies
(Jonathan Benthall, i.a.)
- 9.12: Christmas seminar / Ph.D. seminar
- (February 2012): Nordic workshop: Islamic law and Muslim Law: Perspectives
All events are held in the Seminar room, SMI, unless otherwise indicated.