Please read through these instructions carefully before filling in the application form.
Deadline for applications is February 15, 2020 (deadline extended).
Make sure that you complete the two complementary parts of the application process.
Part one creates the application. Part two registers your application in the University of Bergen application system.
Both parts are internet-based. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Below, you find the link to part one. When you successfully complete part one, you will get a confirmation email with a link to part two and instructions about how to proceed.
The Bergen Summer Research School offers PhD candidates and junior researchers the opportunity to work with some of the best scholars in Bergen. All courses are held in English and you need to demonstrate a good command of the English language to be accepted.
Participants may take only one of the six parallel courses.
Upon acceptance, the participants will be asked to submit a short essay of 2-4 pages from their own research on a research question decided by each course leader. This will be used as the base for presenting your research to the rest of the course.
Participation at the BSRS will be credited under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
In order to receive credits, we expect full participation in the course-specific modules; that you have read the provided literature prior to arriving in Bergen, and that you participate in all plenary events and roundtables.
Participants are expected to write an essay (in a form of a publishable manuscript of 10-20 pages) to be submitted after the end of the summer school. This will give a total of 10 ECTS. Deadline for submission will be decided by your course leader.
It is also possible to participate without producing an essay. This will give you 4 ECTS.
Students will have access to the electronic resources of the University Library, from time of acceptance until May 2021.
Before you start your application, please check that you meet the academic requirements. Only applicants who meet the admission requirements will be considered.
The courses are all at PhD level and are open to:
- Candidates currently enrolled in a PhD programme
- Junior researchers, including those in their last stages of their master programmeꟷwith extensive work experienceꟷand those who have recently completed their PhD, or are enrolled in a post-doc programme.
Create the application
Before you start the application process, make sure you have the following documents:
- Abstract of your ongoing research (maximum 250 words). Please outline the main objectives, framework of the research, and method(s).
- Letter stating your motivation (maximum 500 words), which should include:
- your research interest in the issues of BSRS 2020
- course expectations
- what you hope to gain from attending BSRS
- Your CV and description of your educational background, including:
- Your current position
- Your highest academic degree
- Educational background (maximum 500 words)
- Work experience (maximum 500 words)
- Up to ten publications, if any.
- Your English proficiency (the language of instruction at BSRS)
- Overview of stipend requirements, should you wish to apply for one.
Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions about how to continue to part two of your application. If you did not receive this confirmation within 24 hours, please contact us at email@example.com
Register the application
Follow the instructions in the confirmation email you receive after you have submitted your application in part one.
In order to register your application at the University of Bergen, you need the following documents:
- The copy of the application you received with the confirmation email (attached as a pdf).
- Scanned copy of your ID (e.g. passport/ identity card/ driving license)
- Transcript/diploma of your highest degree
- A letter of recommendation signed by your supervisor
- A letter verifying your qualifications and current position, signed by the head of your institution/department
Please note that the two letters must be written on official stationary of your institution, and stamped.
Your application is officially complete when:
- You have filled in your complete home/residential address
- You have selected course(s)
- You have uploaded all the required documents
- You have received confirmation by e-mail
You can change or update your application until February 15, 2020.
We aim to coplete the selection by the third week of March and will notify all applicants soon therafter.
Start the application
You may start the application, save it, and resume until the application deadline.