Centre for International Health uses midway evaluation presentations as an opportunity for PhD candidates and their supervisors to show the candidate's progress in the researcher training programme. They enable CIH to have stronger academic follow up of the candidates.
The midway seminar of the research candidates has the following goals:
- to clarify status regarding progress and development of the project
- to give the candidate the possibility to present the whole project for a committee for seminar
Midway evaluation should be organised by the main supervisor, and the presentation should include any finished manuscripts, manuscripts in process, courses taken and presentations made.
MIDWAY EVALUATION AT CIH (updated 25.07.19)
0. At the beginning of each semester, Daniel Gundersen provides a list of candidates to the CIH/CISMAC Research School who should have a Midway evaluation. He also contacts/informs the candidates/main supervisor about this.
1. The main PhD supervisor is responsible for each midway evaluation. They should inform any co-supervisors and select 2 evaluators (one at CIH and one external). The PhD candidate must sign up in the Student web – page for this event.
2. The CIH / CISMAC Research School organizes the evaluations. These should preferably be scheduled for Wednesdays (14:00) – certain dates are allocated for this purpose. More than one evaluation can take place on a given date.
3. The Supervisor and student find a date - preferably one of the dates marked for Midway evaluation in the CIH / CISMAC Research School programme , and reports the date and names of two evaluators to Gunhild Koldal.
4. The Supervisor helps the candidate to prepare the Midway report. Published papers should be enclosed. This should all be sent to to Gunhild Koldal at the latest two weeks before the evaluation takes place.
5. The report and information about time/place and any other information relating to the evaluation will be sent to the evaluators by to Gunhild Koldal.
6. Midway evaluation takes place:
- The candidate presents his/her work and plans
- Evaluators comment
- Audience may comment
- Evaluator and candidate withdraw for finalization of conclusion/signatures.
- Sometimes the supervisor will participate in extra discussions with the evaluators.
7. The signed midway evaluation form is delivered to IGS administrator (Daniel Gundersen), who forwards it to the Faculty.