Student Pages

Frequently Asked Questions

Main content

Becoming a student at UiB

How to become an exchange student at UiB

You must be nominated by your home university on an existing exchange agreement. See more information here: How to apply for exchange | Education | UiB

For questions contact incoming@uib.no

How to apply for an undergraduate degree at UiB?

None of our undergraduate study programmes are offered in English. Applicants must document Norwegian language proficiency in the application process: Admission to Undergraduate/Bachelor's Programmes | Education | UiB 

For questions: Submit a question to the admissions office | Education | UiB

How to apply for a master’s degree at UiB?

This will depend on where you come from and what master’s degree you want to apply for. See our information website How to apply: How to apply for a master's degree | Education | UiB

For questions: Submit a question to the admissions office | Education | UiB

New International Students

New international students, please be aware:
Answers and services mentioned in the other categories of this FAQ may not be available or relevant for you until you have finished the Welcome Programme (or semester registration if you arrive after this).

If you have urgent questions, contact your Faculty Information Centre or the International Centre UiB at the Student Centre.

Where can I access the Internet?

With a UiB user account:

  • Your own device: Eduroam is UiB’s wireless Internet. To log on, you can use your UiB user account.
  • UiB computer: All faculties and libraries have computer rooms

Before you get a UiB user account: 

  • Sammen Housing offers free broadband from Get in all their student hostels.
  • If you have a Norwegian mobile number, use the “uib-guest” network. Enter your Norwegian mobile number, and a password will be sent to you.
  • If you are using Eduroam at your home university, you will also have Internet access through Eduroam at the UiB campus. Once your UiB user account is activated, you may use this to log on.

When can I register for the semester and open a user account?
You can register and open a user account when you get access to Studentweb in late June/early December. You will receive an e-mail with your UiB registration numbers and information about how to log in and register.

I'm an exchange student. Where can I get my confirmation of arrival and/or Learning Agreement signed?

Please have a look at our information about Arrival forms and Learning Agreements on our website. 

I want to change one or more of my courses, what should I do?
Participate in the faculty information meeting. Staff from your faculty will be available for questions regarding choice of courses and more. Please consult the study advisor at your department/faculty after this. More information is also available on our website about courses.

What are the opening hours of the International Centre UiB?
Please refer to the information webpage of the International Centre UiB.

Classes and Registration

When can I register for the semester?
Studentweb opens for Semester registrations in week 25 (autumn semester) and in week 50 (spring semester).  

When is the semester registration deadline?
The deadline to register for the semester, ie. confirm the education plan, sign up for exams and classes on Studentweb and pay the semester fee (if applicable), is 1 September in the autumn semester and 1 February in the spring semester.

Some courses may have earlier deadlines, such as the Norwegian language courses and many courses at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. More information will be provided at your faculty information meeting.

Information Centres

Where is the UiB campus?
The University of Bergen campus is spread across the city centre and neighbouring areas.

Where is the Information Centre?
Each faculty has its own Faculty Information Centre.
The Faculty Information Centers help you with:

For general campus guidance and assistance in using online services, please visit the International Centre UiB

Several administrative services are also available online at the Student Pages.


I need counselling or guidance. Where can I go?
There are several guidance- and counselling services available for students. They are run (amongst others) by UiB, Sammen and volunteer student organisations.

Tuition and Student Welfare

I thought tuition was free in Norway, why the semester fee?
The public institutions of higher education in Norway do not charge tuition fees, but students pay a semester fee to the local student welfare organisation, Sammen. The students will automatically become members of Sammen and can benefit from their services.

Students on an exchange programme are exempted from paying the semester fee.

What kind of welfare services am I entitled to as a student at UiB?
A range of welfare services are offered to members of the Student Welfare Organisation in Bergen (Sammen).

Can I pay the semester fee in cash?
No, the semester fee must be paid with a bank card online. See the semester fee website for information on how to pay.

I did not pay the semester fee or registered within the deadline. What can I do?
If you did not pay the semester fee and confirmed your education plan on Studentweb within the deadline,your student status at UiB can be withdrawn. Contact your Faculty Information Centre as soon as possible.

Student ID

How can I prove that I'm a student?
To prove that you are a student you must download UiB's digital Student ID App. Everyone who gives student discounts accepts the Student ID app. This is the student's receipt for registration and payment at UiB.

How can I prove that I am a student before I have downloaded the app?
If you are a new student you can use your Letter of Acceptance from UiB together with a valid ID card (eg. passport) or Student card. This option is only valid up to the registration deadline 1 September/ 1 February.

If you were a student in the previous semester, the app showing the previous semester will be valid until the deadline for the semester registration.

What is the difference between the Student ID App and the student card?
The Student ID App functions as a semester receipt and student ID (if it shows your picture) and you can download it any time. When you have completed the semester registration and paid the semester fee (if applicable) it is valid all semester.

The student card has a photo of the student, is valid as a student identity card and also has other functions.

I have lost my student card. How do I get a new one?
Contact the Card Centre regarding lost or defect student cards.

I do not have a smart phone
If you do not have a smart phone and therefore do not have the option to use the Student ID app, see Student ID App for an alternative option.

Printing, Transcript of Records and Diplomas

I need to print. Where can I do this on campus?
A large number of network printers are available in reading rooms and libraries throughout the university. You can use them by logging in to any UiB computer and printing to Pullprint. You can also connect your computer to UiB print services at home online using VPN.

How do I add money to my student card so that I can use print services?
All students are required to pay for their prints and copies. You can add money to your student card online or you can purchase an anonymous SpendOn card. Read more on the pages for PayPrint

How can I get a Transcript of Records?
The service Diploma Registry replaces the transcripts of records from UiB. By using the Diploma Registry, you can collect your results from higher education in Norway and share them with potential employers, educational institutions and other relevant resipients.

You can also order a transcript of records with digital signature on Studentweb.

How do I order a Diploma?
A Diploma is a proof of a degree that you have attained and will only contain the exams included in your degree. Your Diploma will only be produced once. If your faculty does not produce Diplomas automatically after your degree programme is finished, you can order one online.