Checklist for new international students
As a new international student at UiB, you will need to complete compulsory registrations and other formalities during the first weeks of the semester.
Studentweb is the students’ online registration service. All students must register on Studentweb at the beginning of each semester and this is also where you register for classes and exams.
|When:||Deadline 1 September/ 1 February. For exceptions, see below.|
|What you need:||Your UiB registration numbers|
Important deadlines for course registration
|Recommended deadline to sign up for courses to secure a place||19 August|
|Some courses in Mathematics and Natural Sciences||16 August|
|Norwegian Language Courses (only for students with granted admission)||15 August|
|Final registration deadline||1 September|
How to register for the semester
Log in at Studentweb
- The first time you log in, you must choose Norwegian ID number and PIN at the login page.
- Choose Send new PIN to your email and enter your UiB registration number:
- The UiB registration number consists of 11 digits and is normally divided by a white space (6 + 5) when communicated to our students. When you use the number, you must make sure that you use it as an 11 digit number with no white space dividing it.
- Your PIN is used to log in at Studentweb, open a user account, and access code with your student card.
- Log in with your UiB registration number and PIN.
When you have opened a UiB user account, you can also choose to log in with your username (format xxx000) and personal password instead (using Feide).
Register for the semester and sign up for courses
Click on the green button Start registration.
- Rights and obligations: You must confirm that you are aware of the rules and regulations that apply to students at UiB.
- Education plan: An overview of what you will study as part of your study programme/period at UiB. This is also where you sign up for classes and exams for your courses.
- Status and overview: Check that you have signed up for both classes and exams.
- Profile: Update your profile, including your semester address and emergency contact person.
- Confirmation: A confirmation will appear, and that means you have completed your semester registration.
Semester address (your address in Norway)
Make sure that you provide your correct postal address in Norway when you update your profile.
- Still at home: Use the international address format and write your home address. Remember to update your semester address when you arrive in Bergen.
- Already arrived in Bergen: Use the Norwegian address format and register your postal address.
If you live at Fantoft Student Hostel your correct postal address is:
Fantoft Student Hostel
P.O. Box [no.]
Exchange students only: Course changes
Plan your semester
Remember to check the course schedules and exam dates to make sure that the classes and exams for your courses do not overlap, before you register on Studentweb.You will find the schedules under Resources in the course description for each course.
Course changes via the education plan at Studentweb
You can add and remove courses from your education plan at Studentweb, either by yourself or with the assistance from UiB staff.
- Courses open for all students: You can add these to your education plan yourself.
- All other courses: Contact the relevant faculty in one of the following ways:
- Contact the faculties' Student Information Centres by email (see list under Registration assistance below).
- Attend your faculty's information meeting during the Welcome Programme if you can. Useful information about courses and registrations will be provided there.
- Visit the faculties' Student Information Centres.
Exception: It will not be possible to add a Norwegian language course to your education plan after 15 October.
Sign up for courses after you have completed the semester registration
Yes, it's possible
After you have completed the semester registration, the green button will be deactivated. You can still make changes to your study plan, sign up for or delete courses, change classes, update your profile and more, within the given deadlines.
Navigate at Studentweb using the top menu
When logged in, use the menu at the top of the page to navigate. To see and edit your education plan (sign up for classes and exams), choose Studies in the top menu and your programme.
Contact the relevant faculty by email
|Courses at the Faculty of|
|Fine Art, Music and Design||Regular students: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Exchange students: email@example.com
|Humanities||All students: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Law||All students: email@example.com|
|Mathematics and Natural Sciences||All students: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Medicine||All students: email@example.com|
|Psychology||Regular students: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Exchange students: email@example.com
|Social Sciences||All students: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Attend the Welcome Programme
We recommend that you attend your faculty's information meeting during the Welcome Programme if you can. Useful information about courses and registrations will be provided there.
Visit the Student Information Centre at your faculty
Services provided at Studentweb
Start of the semester
- from week 25 to 1 September (autumn semester)
- from week 50 to 1 February (spring semester)
- Register for the semester
- Find the semester fee payment information (if applicable)
- Register for classes and exams
- Register your semester address
- Register your emergency contact person