Student Pages

Non-EU/EEA/EFTA Nationals: Apply for a Residence Card

A residence card is a plastic card that proves that you have been granted a study permit in Norway.

Who: All students from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA, who are staying in Norway for more than 3 months.


  • Hordaland police district, Bergen Immigration Office
  • You must have registered at UDI's Application Portal before you visit the Immigration Office.


  • Friday 12 January, 09:00-11:30
  • Tuesday 19 January, 09:00-11:30

Note that as a UiB student attending one of the appointments above, you do not need to book an appointment on the Application Portal to visit the Immigration Office, even if the portal asks you to.

How and where to collect the Residence card:

Non-EU/EEA/EFTA Nationals can collect "Residence card" at the International Centre UiB (Student Centre) from [to be announced].

Fee: NOK 3,200 to be paid when you apply online.
What you need:
  • Applied before departure from home country:
    • Passport
    • Address in Norway
  • Applying after arrival in Norway:
    • Passport (original)
    • Letter of Acceptance (printed copy)
    • Documentation of finances (printed copy)
    • Address in Norway

    Important information:

    • The letter from the Norwegian Embassy states that you need to go to the police within 7 days after arrival, but this does not apply if you meet at one of the scheduled appointments on 12 or 19 January.
    • Students who have not applied for a study permit before arriving in Norway, must register at UDI's Application Portal, pay the fee when applying, and register for an individual appointment at the Immigration Office. You cannot attend the scheduled appointments on 12 or 19 January.