Study plan for MAPS-PED Education, Master's, 2 years, spring 2021
Master's degree in Education.
The master's programme in Education has a scope of 120 credits, and a 2-year nominal period of study.
Admission to, and commencement of, the programme takes place every second year, in the autumn of 2015, 2017, etc.
The goal of the master's programme is for students to receive in-depth research-based knowledge about education and to contribute to the field. The content of the programme is linked to the research areas at the Department of Education.
The relationship and tension between the different forms of knowledge, and views on learning, educational policy and educational practices are central during the first part of the programme. These contexts and tensions will be illuminated and explained both as relevant social phenomena and as basic educational philosophy issues. Key educational research topics; such as learning, knowledge and education, are illuminated and explained in different contexts; examples of which are educational institutions, management, businesses and organizations. The second half of the programme will qualify students to plan and execute an independent scientific work (master's thesis corresponding to 60 credits). This also requires the competence to assess research and development work in the field of education.
On the whole, the programme qualifies for educational research work, and planning, assessing, analysing and leading educational processes in the field of educational institutions, management, businesses and organizations.
A graduate from the Master¿s programme in Education will have achieved the following learning outcomes, divided and defined into knowledge, skills and general competence:
The graduate will have advanced knowledge:
- within the field of education, with a particular strong focus on the area of the master's thesis
- of the history, tradition, characteristics and social utility of the field of education
- of the scientific theories and methods in the field
The graduate will have the skills to:
- analyse questions and problems within the field
- make use of new knowledge where it is relevant
- communicate academic problems, analyses and conclusions in the discipline, both orally and in writing
- conduct an independently focused research project under supervision and in accordance with applicable research ethics norms
The graduate will have the general competence to:
- make independent use relevant research methods
- work independently on practical and theoretical problem solving
- make contributions to new ideas and innovative processes
A master's degree in education consists of the following compulsory courses:
- www.uib.no/emne/PED311www.uib.no/emne/PED311PED311 Philosophy of education (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED313www.uib.no/emne/PED313PED313 Knowledge and knowledge processes (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED312www.uib.no/emne/PED312PED312 Research methods (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED314www.uib.no/emne/PED314PED314 In-depth study and project plan (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED395www.uib.no/emne/PED395PED395 Master's thesis in education (60 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED311PED311 Philosophy of education (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED313PED313 Knowledge and knowledge processes (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED312PED312 Research methods (15 credits)
- www.uib.no/emne/PED314PED314 In-depth study and project plan (15 credits)
3rd and 4th semester:
The programme requires active participation and collaboration by the participants, and combines lectures with studies of literature, with seminars offered on campus and over the Internet. Writing is an important part of the programme's learning process. Work placement or practical training is not part of the programme.
Emphasis is placed on students gaining experience with different assessment forms. Home examinations, portfolio assessment, project plans, a master's thesis and oral examinations are the forms used.
The grading scale A-F or Pass/Fail is used to assess the different courses.
Diplomas are issued after the degree has been attained.
A master's degree in Education qualifies for application for admission to Ph.D.
The study programme offers broad educational competence on issues regarding learning, knowledge and communication. This is competence that is in increasing demand in both public and private sector. The master's degree in Education qualifies for a number of professions in which learning and development tasks are central; such as educational institutions, counselling, personnel management, organizational development, information and communication businesses and health promotion. The master's degree qualifies for management positions in educational institutions, businesses and organizations.
The master's programme is evaluated regularly in accordance with UiB's quality assurance guidelines. Course and programme evaluations can be found in the database kvalitetsbasen.uib.no.
The programme board at the Department of Education is responsible for the academic content, the structure of the programme, and the quality of the study programme.
The Study Section at the Faculty of Psychology has administrative responsibility for the programme.
Feel free to contact the programme's student advisor if you have any questions: Studieveileder.email@example.com, tel. +4755582710