Statistics about publications can be used to make research at UiB more visible. It can also be used for benchmarking and to inform strategic planning processes for the future.
The analysis of research and publication data is a regular part of the University Library's operation. The following functions are a part of this operation.
- Analysis of the scientific publication at the University of Bergen
- Finding data and indicators for budget, research notifications, strategic planning etc. at the University of Bergen
- Quality assessment of data, communicating data and routines in the publication data base CRIStin.
- Instructing / introductions in topics related to analysis of research data/bibliometrics for staff at the University Library and for interested researchers at the UoB.
- Research projects completely or partially based on data from the University of Bergen
The main results for the last years are published on our webpage bibliometri.b.uib.no.
The main source is the publication data from CRIStin, which is owned and operated by the University Library. In addition, other databases such as ISI Web of Science are used.
Publication and citation data are increasingly used for evaluation of research. These analysis are used among others as a part of the regular academic evaluations that the Norwegian research council undertakes.
Publishing data also enters the financing sphere as an indicator of the budget model for the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Students, as well as scientific publication given weight in connection with applications for research funding. That is reason to be focused on the scientific publication both locally and centrally at the university. The bibliometric activity at the University Library is to be used to strengthen The University of Bergen's work through research documentation, analytically and strategically.