Deformation structures in porous sandstone: Network properties and influence on fluid flow
PhD candidate: Hakan Heggernes
Main Supervisor: Professor Atle Rotevatn (GEO-UiB), Co-supervisors: Professor Haakon Fossen, Professor Rob Gawthorpe, Dr. Matteo Demurtas, Dr. Casey Nixon (all GEO-UiB)
2020 – 2023
PROJECT OBJETIVE, AIMS AND GOALS:
The primary objective of this project is to increase our understanding of deformation bands and the networks that deformation bands form, with emphasis on occurrence, geometry and topology, to increase our knowledge on the effects that deformation band networks have on fluid flow. This work will be conducted by investigating:
- Quantify network properties of deformation band networks from outcrop data.
- Characterise deformation band networks captured in wellbore cores.
- Investigate how spatially limited sampling (e.g. along a well path) of deformation band network properties relate to the network properties as a whole.
- Investigate deformation band networks in 2.5D and 3D.
- Investigate relationships between deformation band network properties and depositional facies/lithology.