Nordic Association for China Studies Conference - 2019
The 14th Biennial Conference of Nordic Association for China Studies (NACS)
(13-14 June 2019, University of Bergen)
NB! The new deadline for registration is May 15, 2019:
When China Faces the World: Engagement or Disengagement?
Marking the Centenary Anniversary of the May 4th Movement
Modernization is a painful process for any nation with a great tradition. To engage or not engage with the world is still a core question for present-day China - even after one century’s vicissitudes since the May Fourth Movement of 1919 that marked elites’ consensus to revolutionize the core values of indigenous traditions.
The question of how to engage with the world is increasingly urgent after four decades of “opening and reform”. With China rapidly ascending to the center of the international platform as one of the strongest economic powers in the twenty-first century, it also wants to stand tall as an actor with soft power. While China integrates itself more deeply into the global system, it, on the one hand, strives to have a bigger stake in shaping the international system and in formulating the game rules, but on the other hand, it also wishes to assert its distinction more forcefully.
China’s ambiguous relations with the outside world is of consequence to a wide range of study areas – not only international relations or politics, but also, for example, language policy analysis. Should China researchers engage in international academic debates, or should they aim for Chinese discourses to shape the international ones?
During this two-day interdisciplinary conference, when contemplating various challenges to China’s maintenance of identity amidst its rapid rise to prominence, all participants are encouraged to take a nuanced view with the aim to deepen and enrich the topic of China's interaction with the globalizing world.
Although the conference has a theme, it should be treated broadly for submissions under individual topics of interest, including, but not limited to:
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Politics and Law
- Environmental Studies
- International Relations
- Translation, Sinology and Linguistics
- Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
- Cinema, Media and Performing Arts
- Art and Archaeology
- Gender Studies
- Philosophy and Religion
- Submission deadline of abstracts/panel proposals: March 1st, 2019
- Notification of acceptance: March 25th, 2019
- Deadline for registration: March 25th – May 15th, 2019
- Conference dates: June 13th – 14th, 2019
- Max 250 English words for individual papers abstracts
- Max 300 words for panel abstracts, in addition to 250 word abstracts for contributing papers
- Please submit your abstract/panel proposal by sending an email to email@example.com
- Please include the following information in your submitted abstract/panel proposal:
name, title/position, email add. and institutional affiliation.
We strongly encourage self-organized panels. Panels are expected to stimulate active exchange of ideas. For panel proposals, please include an abstract for the panel as a whole (max 300 words) in addition to individual abstracts for papers to be included in the panel. We also welcome proposals for innovative session formats such as roundtables, debates etc..
Junior Researcher Scholarship Application
The Nordic Association for China Studies is pleased to announce three Junior Researcher Scholarships. The purpose of the scholarships is to encourage research in Chinese studies among young scholars studying and working at Nordic institutions. Candidates for the scholarships should be 35 years old or younger (born in 1984 or later).
For those who hope their papers to be assessed for Junior Researcher Scholarship, a full paper not less than 5000 words in English (including abstract and bibliography) on any subjects addressing the conference theme should be submitted before March 1st, 2019. The award includes three night accommodation and conference fee waiver, and a Half Day Fjord Tour.
Organizers/Sponsors and Keynote Speakers
The conference is organized by NACS, Department of Foreign Language, University of Bergen, and Fato Institute Foundation, Oslo.
The Conference’s main sponsor is the Research Council of Norway.
Three keynote speakers in Chinese linguistics/language, China studies and Sinology are invited:
1. Prof. Jane Duckett, University of Glasgow (Topic: The International influences on Chinese social policy)
2. Visiting Senior Fellow Harald Bøckman, London School of Economics and Political Science/Univ. Of Oslo (Topic: The ŒInner' (nei) and ŒOuter' (wai) in Chinese History²)
3. Prof. LI Wei, University College London (Topic: When Chinese meets GlobalisAsian: Paradoxes in China’s language policies and ideologies past and present)
You can download it here .
Conference Venue, Fee and Accommodations Information
Please note that all the 14th Biennial Conference of NACS sessions and events will take place at the Sydneshaugen Skole at UiB, located at Sydnesplassen 9, 5007 Bergen. You can find a map of Sydneshaugen skole with the link: https://www.uib.no/en/hf/84681/map-sydneshaugen-skole
How to reach the venue?
You will find a map for Terminus, Zanderk and P-hotels (marked with red circles)which are located in the city center. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from Terminus and Zanderk to our conference venue, Sydneshaugen Skole. It takes about 7 to 8 minutes to walk from P-hotels to Sydneshaugen Skole(marked with a green circle). For those who would like to stay at Scandic Flesland, it is located outside the city center next to the Bergen Airport(BGO). So it will take about 40 minutes to get into the city by car or bus.
For more information you may look at this link: https://en.visitbergen.com/visitor-information/travel-information/getting-here/to-bergen-by-plane/bergen-airport-flesland-to-bergen-city-center
Conference Fee and Accommodation
The conference registration system is now in function.
Please make your payment via https://form.app.uib.no/NACS19. The deadline for registration is May 15, 2019.
1000 NOK for ordinary participants and 750 NOK for students.
Conference fee includes NACS membership fee, conference materials, two lunches, four tea breaks, an evening reception on opening day and a guided walking tour around Bryggen – the historical part of Bergen.
- For booking at Terminus, the participants must send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For booking at ZanderK: e-mail to email@example.com. (For Terminus and Zanderk, cut off date: 12/05/19)
- For booking at P-hotels: e-mail to Marita@p-hotels.no (Cut off date: 01/05/19)
- For booking at Scandic Flesland: e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 55140300 (Cut off date:13/05/19)
(For booking code, please find them in the email we sent you.)
Cultural activities and social networking
- Guided walking tour around historical area of the city (For all participants paid by the Conference, more details TBC)
- Norway in A Nutshell (self-paid, more details TBC).
- An half-day fjord tour was temporarily arranged on 15th morning for keynote speakers and award winners, but all are welcome to join (self-paid).
Social Media and Conference Hashtag
The hashtag for the conference is: #NACS2019. Please use it in all social media references to our event. Thank you.
# NACS2019 is the 14th Biennial Conference of Nordic Association for China Studies (NACS) Conference details: https://www.uib.no/fremmedsprak/118656/nordic-association-china-studies-conference-2019
Contact Person and Useful Information
LI Jingjing: Jing.Li@uib.no (PhD Candidate, Conference General Secretary) (+47) 55582328
Runa Falck Langaas: Runa.Langaas@uib.no (PhD Candidate, Conference General Secretary) (+47) 55 58 22 83
SHANG Guowen: Guowen.Shang@uib.no (NASC Deputy Chairperson, Abstract Review Committee) (+47) 55584778
ZHAO Shouhui: Shouhui.Zhao@uib.no (NASC Chairperson 2017-19) (+47) 55582370