Offshore Wind Seminar in the Spring 2019 at the Geophysical Institute
A seminar in offshore wind energy will be arranged in the Spring semester of 2019. The seminar aims at giving an introduction to selected topics related to energy production from offshore wind energy. Primary aim group for the seminar are master and PhD students. The topics to be covered include:
- Offshore wind conditions and the marine atmospheric boundary layer.
- Extracting energy from the wind. Key principles and computational methods.
- Ocean waves and wave loads on offshore structures.
- Dynamics of wind turbine support structures, the response of fixed and floating turbines due to wind and wave loads.
- Examples on offshore wind turbines. Key challenges.
- Wind farm issues, interaction between turbines, wake effects.
The lecturing part of the seminar will take place in the period 11– 22 March 2019. There will be one double /triple lecture Monday through Thursday, altogether approximately 20 lectures. Specific time and location will be announced after we have had a meeting with all the participants to find a time schedule that is most suitable. Meeting in order to find time will be Friday 11 January 2019 at 12.30 in Auditorium 105, Jahnbakken 3. (Geophysical Institute).
Lecturer will be professors Joachim Reuder and Finn Gunnar Nielsen.
The seminar will consist of:
- Approx. 20 hours of lectures as summarized above.
- Work on one relevant article per person including a 15 minutes presentation.
- A home project with written report, depending on the number of participants, most likely arranged as a group work.
Total workload is 2,5 weeks.
Successful finalization of all three components will be mandatory for receiving 5 ECTS for the seminar.
Registration for the seminar by email to Elisabeth.Sether@uib.no within 8 January 2019. Please indicate if you will attend the lectures only, or if you would like to receive the 5 ECTS credits and thus complete all three components.