Utreisende forskere


There has not been added a translated version of this content. You can either try searching or go to the "area" home page to see if you can find the information there

Financial preparations



When you travel as an employee at UiB, you will keep your salary from UiB. The salary will be paid to the bank account number you have registered in self service portal. You can change the bank account number to a foreign bank abroad. The salary is paid to you in NOK and you must cover the exchange fee. You can also add a temporally change of address in Pagaweb during the mobility period.

Stipend and scholarship

Link to stipend and bequests


Please, visit research and innovation department site for more information regarding financial possiblities. (uib.no)

Tax treaty with USA

Norway has a tax treaty with USA. If you are taxable to Norway you can apply for tax reduction (article 15) for your income during your research stay. 

How to apply: 

There is not a specific form for this. You can use contact form in altinn.no: 
Log into altinn.no and click "new form", type contact form in the top search bar. 

You must apply for a tax reduction according to the tax treaty between USA and Norway article 15. You must state the reason for applying and attac your letter of invitation. 

This is a pre- approval. The real tax reduction is claimed when you fill in your tax report using the form RF-1150. 


Benefits from NAV

If you receive salary from a Norwegian employer: 

Mobility period less than 183 days:

Child benefit when you move abroad to EEA countries   (nav.no)           

Foreldrepenger in EEA country and countries outside EEA (nav.no) only in Norwegian.


Mobility period more than 183 days

As described under preparations, the choice of departure will influence the benefits you may receive from NAV.

If your mobility period is during a school year (August- July), your mandatory membership in “Folketrygden” is sustained (nav.no). If your mobility period is a calendar year, we recommend that you apply for a voluntary membership in Folketrygden.


Normally, payment for “barnetrygden” will be cancelled if your mobility period is more than 183 days. By maintaining the voluntary membership, the rights to “foreldrepenger” will be intact.